OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Getting the wife a rifle.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarface_usmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting the wife a rifle.
    Posted: September/11/2009 at 14:55
Im planning on getting my wife a new rifle im thinking in .204 ruger. I've been looking at the Rem. 700 VS SF II. yall got any better suggestions im all ears. Thanks for any advice im kinda new to the whole woman and a weapon thing.
"keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2009 at 15:19
What is she gonna be shooting with it?  That will really determine she needs.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2009 at 17:41
 Hear 7mm 08 are good for women, my wife likes the 308 but like magshotter1 say what she going to be shooting with it
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2009 at 17:44
if she wants a deer rifle then the 7-08 is perfect, my wife had one and had no trouble shooting it in comfort and confidence.

otherwise a .223 would be really economical.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2009 at 17:55
 How big, strong or athletic is she?
Is she somewhat handy and mechanically inclined, or kind of a bit klutzy as so many people of her kind tend to be? (No offense, Ladies, but you know it's true!)

That will help determine the best weght/length and type of platform to get, and the type of hunting or shooting will determine the class of cartridge.

More specifics, please!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2009 at 19:34
Getting the Wife a Rifle
 .... My first thought is :  Run
How expensive do you want this project to be.  I'm thinking  22 ,   22 mag , or the more accurate  17hmr  shoot a lot but at low cost, but there is the other argument for say  416 Rigby 458 Lott  - she will shoot once and that will be the end of it.   If you have to go centerfire why not .223 or if for deer  7mm08. Really want her to get into centerfire get something accurate  like a tikka or if you can afford it a Cooper or a Kimber preferably in stainless.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2009 at 20:04
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

How big, strong or athletic is she?
Is she somewhat handy and mechanically inclined, or kind of a bit klutzy as so many people of her kind tend to be? (No offense, Ladies, but you know it's true!)

That will help determine the best weght/length and type of platform to get, and the type of hunting or shooting will determine the class of cartridge.

More specifics, please!

No Pics

Roll on Floor Laughing
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2009 at 20:25
I am thinking a lite-weight .338 win mag. She shoots it once, you get a brand new elk/dangerous game rifle! I went big on purposee cause my wife loves my 7lbs .300wsm ( hehe PYRO, sorry couldn't resist!) 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
KY Hick View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY Hick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2009 at 20:51
Get her something you really want, that way if she dont like it you have something to play with. I did the same thing with a nice target .22, and now its mine. But at the same time she owns my fav over and under! That girl loves her shotguns and snubbies.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2009 at 09:19
Well, Ive got a Remmy VSF in .204 Ruger and my wife loves to shoot it. However, it's heavy and (offhand) is useless to her. It shoots well though with very little recoil. CZ makes a nice lighter weight rifle available in .204 Ruger that may be a good choice also. You may also consider a Ruger or Kimber depending on what you want to spend. For a level up, Cooper makes a dandy also. Good luck man. Oh, and by the way, involving your wife in shooting is a great thing. I did so many years ago and have NEVER regretted it one bit. Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2009 at 19:22
dont rule out savage they are very acc. and dont cost an arm and a leg.
Life is to short to shoot an ugly gun
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2009 at 09:00
.243 and uh, RUN!  Smile

My daughter brought down her first deer, 94 yards, this past year with a  Remington .243.  She loves going to the range and shooting with me, now.  We have a blast.  Good Luck!

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2009 at 10:11
Originally posted by Trays 7940 Trays 7940 wrote:

.243 and uh, RUN!  Smile

My daughter brought down her first deer, 94 yards, this past year with a  Remington .243.  She loves going to the range and shooting with me, now.  We have a blast.  Good Luck!

My daughters all started out with .243 BAR.  However, mine all "out grew" hunting with me.  They shoot seldom now.  HOLD on tight to those mements, Trays.  Don't let them slip away...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 08:12
Was out to the camp on Sat.  Daughter ran >100 rds. thru MY A-Bolt .22 L.R. and never even let me shoot it once.  I had to settle for plinking with my Buckmark.  Oh well,  at least she got some good practive before deer season.  It was FUN!
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 14:08
Like asked before, all depends on what the objective is.  One of our clients, who is 5' 6" and maybe 105 lb & rather beautiful as well, thinks the .25-06 is the perfect girl gun.  She was 8 month pregnant with their last child deer hunting.  Had to get the tag filled before the kid was born. 

If it is for plinking/paper but you want a center fire, the .204 ruger is hard to beat.  Low recoil and flat trajectory.  Besides, you can use it as a back up varmint rifle! 

The .22 LR is hard to beat.  Took mine out the other weekend and fell in love all over again!!  Not too loud, almost no recoil and cheap to feed.

Edited by SD Dog - September/14/2009 at 14:10
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
dowby77 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dowby77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 18:44
need to know what the rifles intended purposes is
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 08:26
I would say get something YOU would like.  This is your chance to get yourself a new toy with the excuse of it is for the wife.  I have a nice 243 Remy that is supposed to be for my daughter and/or wife.  The only person who uses it is me.  I am just saying.........now is your chance.
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 08:30
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

Like asked before, all depends on what the objective is.  One of our clients, who is 5' 6" and maybe 105 lb & rather beautiful as well, thinks the .25-06 is the perfect girl gun.  She was 8 month pregnant with their last child deer hunting.  Had to get the tag filled before the kid was born. 

If it is for plinking/paper but you want a center fire, the .204 ruger is hard to beat.  Low recoil and flat trajectory.  Besides, you can use it as a back up varmint rifle! 

The .22 LR is hard to beat.  Took mine out the other weekend and fell in love all over again!!  Not too loud, almost no recoil and cheap to feed.
Roll on Floor Laughing   I so hope my daughter will be like that.... Wow!

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 08:32
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by Trays 7940 Trays 7940 wrote:

.243 and uh, RUN!  Smile

My daughters all started out with .243 BAR.  However, mine all "out grew" hunting with me.  They shoot seldom now.  HOLD on tight to those mements, Trays.  Don't let them slip away...
She started college this year... Oh their slippin'....Bandito

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 17:08
Not to beat a dead horse but what is she going to use it for?  If it is just to go out and go plinking with you (spending quality time) I'd go with a basic rimfire, cheap easy to shoot light weight ect....I love my little 17. HMR

A 204 will fit the same bill as above but cost a bit more to shoot.  It's fine for shooting little fury things and will give you better distance then a 17 HMR but it still cant be used or hunting larger game.   In that class I still like the .223 just easier to find ammo for.

I started out on a .243 still have it great little gun and even with the POS scope it still shoots clover leafs at 100 yards .....if fact that is the reason it still has the junk scope I am too scared to take it off cause it shoots so well LOL   BUT I'd give a knod to the 7mm 08..I think it is more practicle hunting cartridge and recoil is only slightly more then the .243.  One of my friends kids started out on that rifle and actually you never really "out grow" it since it's a good all around deer cartridge.

Also don't rule out the ol tryed and true .30/30 its light weight easy to shoulder easy on the shoulder and for starting out nothing wrong with open sights for a bit.

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic