OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

50mm scope on a 597

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remington 597 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50mm scope on a 597
    Posted: September/11/2009 at 14:07
Hi, what rings would you guys suggest for a 50mm scope on 597. The actual OD of the scope is 2.5 inches. So 2.5 inches - 1 inch = 1.5/2 =.75inch. The rings would sit about 7/32=about .25 from the top of the barrel. So .75-.25 = .5inch. So I will need at least .5625-.625 of an inch high rings (someone double check my math) so, that i could have the scope sit about 1/8th-1/16th above the barrel (What do you guys think? Too close?). What rings would work for me. The 597 has 3/8 dovetails. Do I need a weaver style base for the scope since, it is big? If so which base would you recommend in addition to rings? By the way the scope I bought is a Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50mm.

Anyone with a 50mm on a 597?

Thanks
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2009 at 09:22
I have a 6-24x50 Crossfire mounted on a 3/8" dovetail. The scope easily clears the barrel on my gun.  I would get a high mount.  A=1.04" on mine.

remington 597 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remington 597 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2009 at 12:56
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I have a 6-24x50 Crossfire mounted on a 3/8" dovetail. The scope easily clears the barrel on my gun.  I would get a high mount.  A=1.04" on mine.

How do you like your scope? I have not received mine yet, and hope I did not make a mistake of getting this scope instead of Simmons whitetail 6.5-20x50.

I would like the scope to sit not more than 1/8th=0.125" above the barrel. A=1.04" probably gives you 0.45"-0.5" of clearance, right? I would need a distance A=.625". My problem is that on many of the rings I can't find what A is and on the ones that I can find, they are either too short or too long.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2009 at 13:23
The scope has been taking a beating on a Webley Patriot. The gun has the worst recoil of any spring gun I have shot including my RWS 350 Magnum. The glass is very good for the price  and the adjustments are crisp.
The gap is .118 in. as measured with feelers, well inside your limit. My barrel taper is fairly straight off the receiver and may differ from yours, though.

Edited by tahqua - September/12/2009 at 20:09
remington 597 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remington 597 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2009 at 22:06
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

The scope has been taking a beating on a Webley Patriot. The gun has the worst recoil of any spring gun I have shot including my RWS 350 Magnum. The glass is very good for the price  and the adjustments are crisp.
The gap is .118 in. as measured with feelers, well inside your limit. My barrel taper is fairly straight off the receiver and may differ from yours, though.

Mine tappers .25". So that would make it more like .36" on mine, which is higher than I would like. Well I will just wait for the scope to measure exact dimensions. How is the size of the cross hairs, eye relief, on high magnification?
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2009 at 11:35
The mil-dot is easy to use and the glass is good enough that I can use it pretty close to last light.
The eye relief has not been a problem. Though, like a lot of scopes that are cranked up to high magnification, eye position is critical.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic