OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Critter Cooking Café
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ultimate Artery Clogger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 16:45
Ok, I made a version today, of the Ultimate Artery Clogger... I did everything the same except I put a pork tender loin in the middle and wrapped it all up.  Smoked it for 2.5 hours, 165 degrees inner temp... pulled that thing out and it was awesome...
Next time I am going to use deer sausage, and a deer tender loin... The family thought the Itallian sausage was to strong.... what a meal... It was all gone, no left overs...
I do recommend it... Good luck, Good eating...  Wink

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 08:29
Trays, ya beat me to the punch buddy!  I too, finally got to smoke mine yesterday.
I have always been one to experiment a little in the kitchen so my final product was:

2.5lb bacon, 2lb bulk sweet sausage, Weber's Sweet & Tangy BBQ Rub, Sweet Baby Ray's Honey and Hickory BBQ Sauce and as a final kick I added 1.5 cups of Chi-Chi's medium Salsa to the center of the log.
I was colncerned about  spicy or italian sausage being overwelming so I opted for sweet sausage on the 1st try.  Later, will experiment with differt mixtures of sausages.

I followed the instructions closely.  I saw the bacon I was using was a bit narrow so I ended up doing a 8x8 weave.  After I spread out the bulk sauge on the weave (1/2" thick) and seasoned it with the rub, I could see that 1lb of crumbed bacon didn't quite cover it right so I used 1.5lb of bacon.  Drizzled about 6-8 ozs of BBQ sauce all over the bacon.

I felt something else was needed so I added 1.5 cups of Chi-Chi's Medium Salsa piled in a row 2 inches from one end.  I started rolling  from that end trapping the salsa in the middle.

Made sure I pinched all opening shut in the sauge roll then I wrapped her up in the weave.
Rubbed the weave real good and popped her in a hickory fired smoker for 3 hours (165F).
at about 2 hours I painted the topside with more Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.

It was fanatastic guys!  The flavor was a wonderful aray of hickory, bacon, sweet sauge, molasses and honey from the sauces and just a barely discernable tweek from the salsa.  Was not very greasey at all. 
I can't wait to try this with a nice big peice of backstrap.  I think I'll keep the Chi-Chi's as part of the recipe also!

I give this recipe 4 stars for a first effort! StarStarStarStar  Thunbs Up
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 12:20
Originally posted by Eileen Clarke Eileen Clarke wrote:

Deep fried might not be a bad idea.   THe first time I deep fried a goose, I thought it would be an awful method for a greasy bird, but the turkey fryer crisped the outside and the meat was delicate, juice and delicious.  Not greasyat all.   (I then had to deep fry a trio of pheasant, and they were incredible.)   Who knows what it would add to this bacon/sausage feast?   Though it might need to be tied to keep it in a nice tight roll.  
It would certainly be done faster in a fryer--3 minutes a pound.  

Eileen
PS  I injected the goose with my usual combo pre frying: butter, ginger, and Meyers (dark) rum.  
I love cooking with Meyers rum... sometimes, I even put it in the food...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 15:53
I wonder if you can bar-b-q on low heat instead of smoking it? Anybody tried not smoking it?
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 16:53
Monster, I don't tkink you can mess this recipe up.... It's just good.  Bandito

I can't wait to try it with deer...

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 17:45
Originally posted by Trays 7940 Trays 7940 wrote:

Monster, I don't tkink you can mess this recipe up.... It's just good.  Bandito

I can't wait to try it with deer...
I don't think the deer will like it...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Eileen Clarke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2009 at 20:03
Obviously, you need to shoot him first!   Then, cut out his t-loins make an Italian sausage sandwich out of two 10-inch lengths, and fasten with bacon strips.  
Eileen
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2009 at 15:51
Exactly.... 

Iam trying it with a venison tenderloin today... 

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2009 at 14:37
Check it out... You said they wouldnt enjoy it...

Eileen Clarke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2009 at 20:54
Maybe it was grits.  Probably cheese grits.  THey would go well with the grass entree.
E
Deena View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
Optics Hottie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2010 at 17:40
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

I friend just senty this to me and my mouth won't stop watering!
About the only way to make this worse health wise would be to

beer batter and deep fry it!

You have to check this out!

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><FONT face=Arial color=#800080 size=2>http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/ <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

makes my tummy hurt just seeing the picture....looks sinful...
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 20:39
Finally tried this baby.  Had to do a six by six weave on it.  1.25 pound Italian sausage, 1.25 pound hot Italian sausage, 2 lbs thick cut bacon.  Put some chopped onion and liquid hickory in there since I don't have a smoker.   Cooked it for 2 hours at 300 degrees in a convection oven.  Put some sausage balls cover in bbq sauce in later to cook in the bacon juices to go with it.  Fed 10 adults and two kids with it all.  Had beans, potato salad, and rolls with it.  Apple pie, rhubarb pie, and peanut butter pie and ice cream for desert.  I can hardly move.  Everyone LOVED it.!!!!  

Next time I think I am going to put some sharp cheddar in the middle.  Everyone wants to do it again.  So maybe at Christmas, I will oblige them.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 21:25
Good deal Helo. We made this shortly after this thread. I'm still dying a slow death from it. It is the highest LDL meal I have ever had.
Doug
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2011 at 07:33
Glad you liked it Drew!  Too bad you waited till bacon is pushing $5lb!!!  At least it is on the east coast.  Grocery prices have steadily been going up!  When I did my T-day shopping I was apalled to see Hellmans Mayo 30oz now not 32 selling for $5.25..... I need to buy a farm!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2011 at 07:42
I cooked this over T--Giving as well Helo, big hit, have to do it again a Christmas, I was ordered by my Grandpa.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2011 at 21:07
I did this again a couple weeks ago, but added chopped garlic and sharp cheddar to it.  It was even better that way.  I am a cheese fan, so I may be a little biased, but I think it added just the right touch to it.  Did it with applewood rub, and Sweet Baby Ray's.   Had a little kick to it, but great contrast with the cheddar.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2012 at 08:55
"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Thomas Payne, Revolutionist
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2012 at 10:09
Shocked

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic