OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Yet another Tikka mount question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yet another Tikka mount question
    Posted: September/11/2009 at 09:16
I purchased a Tikka lite yesterday, and the store furnished me with one piece bases/rings that are not the optilock style.  These one piece bases/rings are not even referenced in the owner's manual. 

Research revealed that they are these 1 piece bases/rings that are packaged as Beretta:  http://www.tikkaprecision.com/item/58836_Tikka_Scope_Mounts_Beretta_S132R967_Ring_Mou.aspx

These look to be a big improvement over the optilocks, and I plan on trying them out.  I just wanted to verify if it was in fact just the optilocks that have received all the bad press from owners.

Thanks!
loaded4bear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loaded4bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2009 at 19:27
Do you live in the states?  Tikka's are supplied with those rings but they are not very good.  Most people use other mounts.  I just went through mounting a Zeiss 3x9-40mm on my Tikka and I ended up using Dednutz lows.  I tried two sets of LW Talleys and returned both because they were way out of alignment after tested them with my alignment bars and I don't like lapping aluminum rings.  The supplied Tikka rings were actually aligned pretty well and also the Warnes were good too.  I then tried Dednutz and the alignment  was absoultely dead-on.   These mounts are unbelievable and I highly recommend them.
jabo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2009 at 20:05
Yes,live in the states. Those 1 piece mounts are different from the Optilocks shown in the Owners manual and online. I'm wondering if Tikka started giving the 1 piece rings instead of the Optilocks because of customer complaints. They sure look a lot better than the Optilocks to me. Unfortunately, even if Tikka started giving the Deadnuts out some people would trash them because they've read enough posts that the mounts that come with the Tikkas are bad.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2009 at 06:29
Welcome to The OT, jabo.

I'd recommend Talley rings.

jabo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 10:35
Thanks for the welcome and the advise.

I read through numerous Tikka related threads prior to starting this thread, and have a grasp on the general consensus / recommendations.

What I was really trying to find out is whether or not Tikka stopped providing the Optilocks and started providing the 1 piece mounts due to customer complaints.  I also was hoping to find out when this change took place, and whether or not people have had any issues with the one piece mounts.
robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 13:39
Are Dednutz and DNZ the same thing?
loaded4bear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loaded4bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 13:54
Yes
jabo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2009 at 12:46
I had to come back and eat a little crow.
Being the hard headed person that I am, I had to try the Tikka supplied bases/rings for myself.  After trying out 2 brands of factory ammo, I was unable to get consistent shots within a 4" ring at 100yds.  None of the 3 shot groups were very tight, and the rounds would land all over the place but stay within the 4" diameter.  After close inspection, I saw evidence that the front base had moved / or was moving a little.  I quickly ordered some Game Reaper Deadnutz and re-mounted the scope.  I finished off one of the partial boxes of factory ammo I had left as well as tried a 3rd brand of factory ammo.  After I found the ammo that my gun liked best out of the 3 brands tried, I consistently achieved 1" three shot groups.  I'm going to hunt whitetails with this ammo this season, and probably try a few more brands in the spring to see if I can get down to sub MOA groups.  I'll probably go back and give the first brand of ammo another shot with this new scope mounting as well, since none of those went down the barrel after the Tikka supplied bases/rings were scrapped. 

Tikka T3 lite / stainless in .270 win
Brand 1) 130gr Remington Core Lokt
Brand 2) 130 gr Hornady SST
Brand 3) 130 gr Federal Fusion (consistent 1" groups, and my hunting round this season)

I can't say enough about the deadnutz mounting system and their excellent customer service.  The finish of their silver mount matches the finish on my rifle very well, and looks great with the silver Nikon that I'm using.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2009 at 13:34
Can't say enough about how much I like Tikka T3s.
Can't say enough about how much I hate the rings they package with the rifle.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
jabo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2009 at 15:20
UPDATE

Took my Tikka / Game Reaper Dednutz base/rings combo to a 'real' range last Friday (I say 'real' range, because I typically shoot out in the country).  I achieved a 5/16" 3 shot group with the Federal Fusions and put the rifle back into the case.  I guess the lack of wind, better shooting table & better gun rest from what I had available the previous trip out made the difference in accuracy.  It's awesome to have a sub MOA gun for the amount of money I have invested.

I'm loving this Tikka T3 with the Dednutz mounting system, and would definitely recommend it to any new Tikka owners who are considering using those stock bases/rings.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic