OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Monarch vs. Leupold....making a decision

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Monarch vs. Leupold....making a decision
    Posted: September/10/2009 at 20:38

In a comparison between Nikon Monarch riflescopes and Leupold riflescopes, I was wondering which one of the Leupold series compares more closely to the Nikon.  In other words, is the Monarch series closer to the VX-II or the VX-3 when considering how well the scopes are put together and the quality of glass used in them.  I know that Nikon claims a light transmission rating of 95% for the Monarch, but I can't seem to come up with any claim as far as the Leupolds are concerned.  I realize that Nikon may be taking this value out of context to try and show that their riflescopes are superior.  I just was wondering where the Nikon seemed to fall now that Leupold has updated their line for 2009.  I know that many people believe that the Leupolds are overpriced for what you get when comparing them to other scope brands.  Thanks for all comments back. 

Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2009 at 21:22
The Nikon Monarch compares to a VX-III.The Leupold VX-II is a step below the Monarch line.The new VX3 may be compared with the Zeiss Conquest.I can't decide I have a 3 way tie with the VX3,Zeiss Conquest and the Sightron S2 Big Sky.The climate control is a very nice feature on the Big Sky series.The Nikon Monarch is a good value.I would stay away from the VX-II. I owned many of these scopes before I discovered scopes like the Sightron S2 and Nikon Monarch which are brighter clearer and cheaper then the VX-II. 
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2009 at 17:14
IMO the VXIII/VX3 is a superior product than the Monarch.  I wish they'd have enhanced the optics on the Monarch line when they redesigned them and move production to the Phillipines.
SirSpeaksalot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirSpeaksalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 10:42
I am right now in the process of picking  a scope for my 7mm WSM.  I had it narrowed down to the buschnell 4200 Elite, or the Leupold VX-II.  Soon after I had a look at the Nikon Monarch.  After doing some research I think that I will be going with the Nikon.  It looks fantastic, the price is slightly cheaper then the other 2 scopes at my local dealer, and most everything I have read on it is positive.  I will let you know how it is after i purchase it and get it on the range (a week or 2 probly).
gferrett View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gferrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2009 at 11:04
Hi bbush;
 When a guy is going to spend 300 to 600 on a rifle scope, one thing he should connsider is
can the scope be repaird.
Bushnell and leupold both have given me good service over the years.
Bad service: remington, burris and leica Good service SWFA and other.
FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 03:04
Originally posted by SirSpeaksalot SirSpeaksalot wrote:

I am right now in the process of picking  a scope for my 7mm WSM.  I had it narrowed down to the buschnell 4200 Elite, or the Leupold VX-II.  Soon after I had a look at the Nikon Monarch.  After doing some research I think that I will be going with the Nikon.  It looks fantastic, the price is slightly cheaper then the other 2 scopes at my local dealer, and most everything I have read on it is positive.  I will let you know how it is after i purchase it and get it on the range (a week or 2 probly).

I prefer the elite over the monarch, i have both and i find that the monarch is more prone to sun glare than the elite when viewed at higher power, 12x and above. On low power though, the image on the nikon seems brighter than the elite, at least for my eyes. And the elite also has the Rainguard. Both are definitely a step above the vxII when it comes to image.
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 04:07
Nikon Buckmasters (not Monarch) and Leupold VX-II are some of the scopes I've got to check out in the past few weeks in person.  To me the Nikon Buckmasters scope seemed much better than the VX-II, Burris Fullfield 2 also just the same.

If I didn't know this name from that name, any scope company history, or hunters word of mouth stories I would look at someone strangely who payed the same money for a VX-II as a Buckmasters or Fullfield 2, let alone payed more for it.

Looking around the web you see a familiar thing that people recommend Leupold warranty, popular name, and the old Leupold scopes from the 70's and 80's that were great.  The actual scope seems like an after-thought.  You pay the money because Leupolds are known to be tough, known to have a super warranty, and because most everybody else does who has the money to spend.

Maybe their lens suppliers are sabotaging the company or something, I don't know.

fireroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 23:40
IMHO, I have owned VX-II and VX-III's .... the Monarch is on par with the VX-III, not as sharp a reticle (maybe I looked through a dud) but brighter optics and a much better value. The VX-II is just plained over priced and optically inferior to a number of scopes out there.

Your eyes may vary!
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2009 at 07:32
 I purchased a 5-20x44 Monarch simply because of its clarity and I compared other scopes I purchase to it, for the money hard to beat.
TJ427 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJ427 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2009 at 11:55
The Monarch line does seem to be a great value with quality glass. Am tryig to find a 3-9x42 but still wondering about the sightron big sky line as they also hae a reputation for nice glass. It does seem that Leupold is overpriced although some say they have recently caught up.
fireroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2009 at 14:24
Originally posted by TJ427 TJ427 wrote:

The Monarch line does seem to be a great value with quality glass. Am tryig to find a 3-9x42 but still wondering about the sightron big sky line as they also hae a reputation for nice glass. It does seem that Leupold is overpriced although some say they have recently caught up.

You are correct, the Monarch is a great value. The Monarch X line looks really impressive, but have not looked through one. My Sightron Big Sky has been fantastic so far, very impressive (especially) when compared to the VX3 for the price. Leupold is going to have to upgrade more than just their coatings to catch up with Sightron, Zeiss, and Bushnell.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2009 at 16:02
Had a Sightron Big Sky and yes the optics were great and the view was fairly large and comfortable but the eye relief although long was very critical of eye position. It bothered me. Maybe mine was defective but I couldnt stand having to get my eye just right every time I brought the gun up to aim.
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2009 at 17:19

Never compared a Sightron to a Zeiss to a Leupold VX-3.  One thing one must consider when we read where scope (a) was compard to scope (b) is to remember whether or not if its a fair compairison.

When I speak of comparing my Zeiss Conquest vs my Leupold VX-3, it a pretty staraight (as I can make it) comparision (4.5-14x50 vs 8.25-25x50).  Its going to come down to personal choice, thats why I have one of eachWink

On the other hand, if I were to compare my VX-3 (8.5-25x50) to my other Zeiss (4.5-14x50) the VX-3 wins that contest hands-down when the light is very dim, in fact, there is no comparison.  In daylight, its a wash.

HTH,

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic