OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need some scope recommendations and advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some scope recommendations and advice
    Posted: September/10/2009 at 17:23
I recently purchased a Savage Mark II FV 22lr for target practice. Althought I am really having a horrible time finding a scope within my price range of less than 350. I know that I am asking for a lot for the price range. I am looking for a scope with M1 style knobs or equivalent  I really would prefer not to have to count clicks in my head. A good MOA range. I would prefer AO, side focus, or  an appropriate parallax setting. Power is not as big of a concern, as long as I can see what I am shooting at. I found the perfect scope, Leupold custom shop 3-9x33mm with AO and M1 knobs, but the price is over 500. I like the Bushnell elite 3200 10x40mm tactical. Good price range, 80 moa range, m1 knobs although lacks AO. Bushnell 3200 5-15x40mm tactical has all my demands for 389.  I dont know much about the Bushnell products tho. I would prefer one with lifetime warranty. The Burris Fullfields with TAC-2 knobs seems to decent from what I understand. I dunno much about knobs tho or parallax settings. I have a burris timberline w/ballistic plex and AO on my 17hmr which I enjoy. I will be shooting from 25-150 yards. I know I am asking for a lot, but if anyone can put in recommendations on these or any other scopes that would work, please let me know.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2009 at 17:34
If you can live with a fixed 10x, the Super Sniper would be perfect for your needs.  I had mine on my .22 for a while and it was great, and it will be going back soon.  You can focus the parallax all the way down to 10 yards.  The knobs are good and it is only $320.  http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P499.aspx

Edited by supertool73 - September/10/2009 at 17:34
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2009 at 17:52
I really like the fixed with mil-dot. Great for practice. Looks like a good scope for a good price. I have never heard of that brand, though. I will keep it in mind. 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2009 at 17:57
Do some searches on this site.  They are extremely good scopes, tons of us on here use them for everything from .22s up to .50 cal rifles.  The are very durable and very consistent.  They are made for and sold exclusively by SWFA.com
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2009 at 18:06
well it definitly meets all the criteria I am looking for.  Hows the glass and repeatability? Whats the MOA range? 1in or 30mm tube? Any other specs I need to know that are not listed. 
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2009 at 23:17
The Super Sniper 10x would be an excellent choice. It is better than any of the scopes you listed as far as glass or repeatability is concerned.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2009 at 02:31
SS 10X.
I think it would be perfect gor you.
Good glass, heavy duty, audible and tactile clicks, mine always goes back to zero without problems.  30mm tube.
I have the 10X and a 16X and I wouldnt part with either of them.

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2009 at 09:27
Thanks guys. Yall made it alot easier to chose. Looks like once I get some money saved up I'm getting a SS.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2009 at 09:33
I know this is the scope section, but since we are on this scope. Any recommendations for rings to go with it. Its a weaver style base. I was considering a Leupold permanent , or Burris sig zee rings. Anybody got anything better.?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2009 at 10:16
The burris rings are very good and should work very well.  Also the SS has at least 120 MOA of elevation some claim 150 in there's.  I think mine has over 140 MOA IIRC. 

Glass is pretty close to Bushnell 4200 quality I would say, which is a good thing as 4200s are nice scope.  They are known for very good repeatability and have extremely good customer service with SWFA if it is needed.  You will be well taken care of. 

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 15:11
Well I know that I am gonna get a SS scope. I was planning on getting the 10x rear focus. Although I know now they have the 20x for less money. For a .22  shooting paper targets from 25-200yards, is this too much? So 10x or 20x?
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 16:13
Can you see the target at 20yds without any magnification? If so then go 10x. That is what your target will look like at 200yds with a 10x. It seems to me that a lot of people over scope their rifles.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 09:17
20x might be like tunnel vision - 10x would be better.  4x would be even BETTER for 22LR - in my opinion.  22LR is fun to drive bullets through the same hole at 20-25 yrds with a 4x.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic