OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Simmons whitetail or Vortex Crossfire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remington 597 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simmons whitetail or Vortex Crossfire
    Posted: September/08/2009 at 17:36
Hi, I'm looking for opinions/recommendations on which scope to get. Simmons Whitetail 6.5-20x50 or Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 (one without illuminated recticle).
If you could rate them on image size, clarity,brightness and whatever else you think is worth mentioning. I appreciate you help, thanks.

Rem
remington 597 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remington 597 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 22:58
Does anyone have something to say?
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2009 at 00:08
I've never tried the Vortex but I have a Whitetail Classic. I used it for a while on a 22 target rifle and it was very clear and bright but the cross hairs were too heavy for what I was using it for. 
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remington 597 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2009 at 08:07
Originally posted by sholling sholling wrote:

I've never tried the Vortex but I have a Whitetail Classic. I used it for a while on a 22 target rifle and it was very clear and bright but the cross hairs were too heavy for what I was using it for. 

What distances were you shooting from? I would like thin cross hairs too, and I want to be able to shoot accurately from 200-300 meter (since the local range offers it). Do you think whitetail would have been fine for that?

Rem
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2009 at 08:20
Sorry Rem, I never owned a Vortex... I have had the Simmons but I did not like the heavy cross hairs and it would not keet it's zero very well.  My son use to shoot it at about 150 yards, and did well, but I sold it pretty quick after buying it.

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remington 597 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2009 at 08:23
Well I ended up getting a Vortex 6-24x50. I hope I made a right choice.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remington 597 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2009 at 08:25
Originally posted by Trays 7940 Trays 7940 wrote:

Sorry Rem, I never owned a Vortex... I have had the Simmons but I did not like the heavy cross hairs and it would not keet it's zero very well.  My son use to shoot it at about 150 yards, and did well, but I sold it pretty quick after buying it.

From this image it looks like the cross hairs on Simmons are thin (at least the part that matters). Is the image inaccurate?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remington 597 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2009 at 08:26
I forgot to post the link to the image of cross hairs

http://swfa.com/images/simmons_truplex_popup.jpg
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2009 at 08:38
Can't say its wrong, sir, there it is. 
I can tell you that the one I had was about twice the thickness.  On the sides and in the area that counts.  
Things that make you go hmmmmmm...

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remington 597 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2009 at 14:10
Originally posted by Trays 7940 Trays 7940 wrote:

Can't say its wrong, sir, there it is. 
I can tell you that the one I had was about twice the thickness.  On the sides and in the area that counts.  
Things that make you go hmmmmmm...

Thanks Tray
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2009 at 19:59
Clarity and image the Vortex is slightly better.But both get a little fuzzy on edge when you get past 12 power.Durability the Vortex may be better.Any Simmons that I owned has failed even the AETEC brand.I like the older Simmons scopes from the early 80's.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic