OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ZEN ED 10X43 update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zen-Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2009 at 21:44
Originally posted by brunoleke brunoleke wrote:

Originally posted by Zen-Ray Zen-Ray wrote:

The tension of the hinge can be easily adjusted. If you remove the tripod adapter cover (with "ZR" logo), there is a ring with a slit across the center at the end of the assembly. You can rotate that ring clockwise slightly to tighten the tension.

Matt, please let me know if you need any additional help on this one. Thanks

In Brazil, we would say: Muito obrigado!
In english: Thank you very much!

;)

brunoleke,  Muito obrigado! Thanks for bringing this issue to my attention. This will definitely help us provide a better service to our customers.

One can always PM me if you have any question with regard to our products.
Charles
Zen-Ray Optics
Follow us on Facebook
Zen-Ray View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zen-Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2009 at 21:49
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Charles thank you for your kind offer that goes a long way toward saying good things about the company.  While I dont think I'm in the market for the two higher end models I am considering both of the two models that are under $ 200.   Glass is something that can be really hard to buy without looking at it first to compare what you are getting.  If I didnt have such a history of rapidly breaking binoculars I might go for better ones.

Urimaginaryfrnd, thanks for the kind words.  Yes, besides ZEN, we also have sub $200 ZRS and VISTA that are optically competitive at their own price points. So there is something for different budget and usage application.
Charles
Zen-Ray Optics
Follow us on Facebook
brunoleke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brunoleke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 10:44
Originally posted by NDhunter NDhunter wrote:

Maybe a hammer, anvil and a punch.

Seriously?Loco
Do you think that NONE binoculars, someday, will never have 1 or 2 millimeters of disajustment?Whacko

I mean, even the 2,500 dollars binoculars can be loosened or thightened again just by doing adjustments. Thats not a "problem".Wink

Actually, that is something that few binoculars allow you to do. Cool

Before someone complains about the loosened or tightened hinge of a pair of binoculars, pay attention: does it allow you to readjust? If the answer is Yes, then you have a good point. If the answer is no, well... what can I say?

You should consider to open your mind and see that somethings are not a problem, but part of a smart solution.
There's no place like a brazilian beach.
Zen-Ray 8x43 ED2
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 14:25
obviously NDhunter is a little biased, and that's fine.  I wonder why, if the euro brands are 100% fool proof, why do they even have a customer service/repair facility?    
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 14:39
One thing I find interesting is how these China based bino's have the feature list packed such as........ED glass, magnesium frame, water repellent coatings, dielectic prism coatings, open bridge design....etc. etc...sell them for 400 bucks and still make a generous profit, provide CS and lifetime replacement/repair ( I doubt any of the US based resellers actually even have a repair facility to open up a bino and replace an internal part). Does make you wonder why the euro's cost 2000 bucks.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 14:41
Kind of like a 10x SS vs a 10x Leupold.  That makes you go hmmmmmm.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
NV Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NV Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 19:41

"I have had some issues with my pair.  The focus wheel has loosened up from the stiff state it arrived in, but the focus wheel continues to rub on something inside, making a grating sound.  A really annoying event has been the hinge tension has loosened considerably, and I am constantly adjusting the interpupilary distance.  I can set the hinge on the Meoptas and go seasons without them moving.  The lenses are kind of hard to clean (perhaps the new coatings on the ED2 have remedied this?)."

So after less than one hunting season the following mechanical problems have become apparent on the Zen Rays:

1. The focus wheel has loosened considerably from when new.  

2.  The focus wheel is rubbing something internally and is making a grating sound.  

3.  The center hinge pin has loosened so that the interpupailary distance adjustment will not stay where adjusted. 

This has happened after a few weeks of use...  Not exactly what the proponents of the ZR's have been touting.... that ZR are just as good as the "Alpha" glass. 

My 30 year old Leica's have NEVER had their hinge pin tightened or have the adjustments loosened up - and they have been used for 30 seasons.  

Mechanical reliability is just as important as optical quality in a binocular.  

NV Hunter      

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 21:25
Originally posted by NV Hunter NV Hunter wrote:

"I have had some issues with my pair.  The focus wheel has loosened up from the stiff state it arrived in, but the focus wheel continues to rub on something inside, making a grating sound.  A really annoying event has been the hinge tension has loosened considerably, and I am constantly adjusting the interpupilary distance.  I can set the hinge on the Meoptas and go seasons without them moving.  The lenses are kind of hard to clean (perhaps the new coatings on the ED2 have remedied this?)."

This has happened after a few weeks of use...  Not exactly what the proponents of the ZR's have been touting.... that ZR are just as good as the "Alpha" glass. 

NV Hunter      

Actually, if you go back to any of the earlier comments about the Zen Ray they have been referencing comparisons of the optical quality of the Zen Ray EDs with Alpha glass. At no time has anyone stated that they had the same build quality as any Alpha. In terms of build quality I would rate them at the same level as other binoculars in their price range....Leupold Pinnacle, Bushnell Elite, etc....

...and I do most certainly agree that build quality is just as important as optical quality. Where the Zen Ray EDs are really a great choice is for those folks that cannot afford to buy high end build quality but do want to enjoy the benefits of high end optical performance.

Just my two cents.

Edited by FrankD - September/14/2009 at 21:26
Frank
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 22:06

NV Hunter,

Your take on a few things is a little off:

1) The focus wheel was too tight when new. Loosening is apparently a good thing.

2) I have now tested three different ZR and Hawke binoculars quite a bit without any grating sound.

3) How to tighten the hinge pin has been discussed already (apparently an easy fix, something I have wished I cold do myself on some alphas that have loosened over the years).

An example of one is rarely useful, whether it is a Zen Ray or a Leica. What we need is a lot more samples before we start coming to conclusions about the ZR, or other Chinese binoculars. I have been using so-called alpha-glass binoculars and scopes for many years now and not all were exactly perfect when first introduced. In fact I have had some alpha optics break quite quickly.

I also tend to applaud any advance in optics, especially when the advance costs less.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 22:12
FrankD, the two bino's you mentioned, Leupold Pinnacle and Bushnell Elite are made by Light Optical Works in Japan. Zen-Rays??? LOW is considered to be one of if not the best optical house in Japan. Without knowing who makes this Zen-Ray stuff, no track record, good or bad, how can we assume they are anything but new to the market.
brunoleke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brunoleke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 22:22
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

how can we assume they are anything but new to the market.

All you have to do is:

1. Read the reviews of people comparing Zen-Ray with Alphas one. Bucky

2. Consider that Zeiss/Leica/Swaro are expensive and excelent, but nowadays there are other brands using equal technology for less money.Cool

3. No one here is wanting you to change your current alpha binoculars for a Zen-Ray. But please, just dont judge anything or anyone before you really know it. Just open your mind, the world is really much bigger than you think! Wink

Thats it!
Calm down guys Bandito
Zen-Ray 8x43 ED2
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 22:26
My comments had nothing to do with the view, but I appreciate your concern for my open-mindedness.

" But please, just dont judge anything or anyone before you really know it."....

That was my point to Frank D.

Edited by Roy Finn - September/14/2009 at 22:28
brunoleke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brunoleke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 22:30

My comments had nothing to do with the view, but I appreciate your concern for my open-mindedness.

" But please, just dont judge anything or anyone before you really know it."....

That was my point to Frank D.

SORRY!
My comments were to NV Hunter!

Sorry Roy! ; )
Zen-Ray 8x43 ED2
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 22:37
Then why did you quote me?
brunoleke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brunoleke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 22:39

Then why did you quote me?

My bad! I am not a nerd hehehe not an expert on internet!
Sorry, sorry... be happy!
Zen-Ray 8x43 ED2
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 22:43
Well we do agree on the Brazilian beach thing, that's for certain. Don't need alpha bino's for that view..........grin
brunoleke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brunoleke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 22:45

Well we do agree on the Brazilian beach thing, that's for certain. Don't need alpha bino's for that view..........grin

So, tell me: how will you see the brazilian girls that are far away on the brazilian beach?

Hahaha!

Just kidding!
Zen-Ray 8x43 ED2
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 22:53
Hopefully, I'd be close enough to not need bino's at all.
brunoleke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brunoleke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2009 at 16:02
Now, the topic is out of control
:P
Zen-Ray 8x43 ED2
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2009 at 09:23
Wow,

You leave for one over night backpack mule deer hunt and your thread goes wild!

It seems people wanted to take this thread as an opportunity to expound on the virtues of Euro "Alpha" versus bargain "Chinese ED."  I guess this thread was as good a place as any for that.  My intention was to simply let the other folks on OT know about my personal experiences with my personal pair of ZENs.  I enjoy and appreciate the experiences of others with their optics, so I figured I would share my own.  So here is the update to the update:

Thanks to Zen Ray for getting me the replacement rainguard.  It arrived on 09/15/09.  Unfortunately I was in the woods when they arrived.  I used an ill-fitting rainguard that sufficed for that trip.

Thanks to Charles for the procedure to tighten the hinge.  Adjustable hinge tension is a feature I could get used to.  I just need to figure out how to loosen the three set screws so I can tighten the slotted collar (one of the set screws is facing a barrel). 

As far as my quibbles about my ZENs:  None of them are serious enough to outweigh the outstanding optical value that the ZENs present.  They are without a doubt THE deal in binoculars today.  While I do prefer the image through my Meoptas (larger sweet spot and better DOF), I could buy two retail priced pair of ZENs for the price of one pair of Meoptas.  The fact that the ZEN's image competes and compares with the Meopta (and other higher-priced Euro brands) is the real shocker.

As far as build quality goes, my ZENs are a well-built binocular.  I put my gear through serious use every year.  For example, yesterday, my hunting partner shot a 170 class mule deer in an avalanche chute with ribbon cliffs in a trail-free basin deep in the Montana backcountry.  My ZENs bounced happily along all through that nasty country.  The ZENs stood up to that abuse well.  They still look like new. 

My optics for the muley hunt:

Zen Ray ZEN ED 10X43
Ziess Diascope 65 w/ Vario eyepiece
Bushnell Elite 1500 rangefinder
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic