OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Has this boot yet been invented??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has this boot yet been invented??
    Posted: September/07/2009 at 15:09
Gentlemen,

Im going to order me some new hunting boots from Cabelas. The ones Ive had in the past never hold well enough up to my abuse. I walk long distances, climb rocks, thru wet snow, occational small river crossings - just proper usage.  Anyone know of proper boots that really perform, keep me dry and maybe give a good grip as well??

I wonder if they have invented this boot yet or if I have to settle for wet, sore feet yet another season?

Thanx
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 15:49
Get a pair of Danner's.  They are they are the best around.  I have a pair of Elk Hunters that I have used for a vouple of years, with good results.
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 16:16
You get what you pay for, remember that
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 16:37
Originally posted by Monster Monster wrote:

You get what you pay for, remember that

So true!!

swtucker makes a great suggestion, Danner makes real nice hunting boots. I have an insulated set for very cold weather.

My "go to" hunting boot is Browning kangaroo featherweight boots. They are light and very tough. I put a lot of miles on mine every hunting season going through tall grassy meadows, thick brush, creeks, rocks, steep hills, etc. The only situation I haven't used them in is snow, I have other boots for that. Their Gore-tex lined and non-insulated. I've had 'em for about 8 years and gone through one set of soles. I added Superfeet green insoles for comfort and support; I automatically put these on all my boots, ski boots, etc. whether they need 'em or not.

Edited by mike650 - September/07/2009 at 17:05
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 17:07
You want something with a rubber bottom.  I have the best Red Wings and they will keep you dry for a little bit, but are not made to be soaked for an extended period of time.  If you do not have an odd width look at LL Beans hunting boots.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 17:28
If you want something with a ton of ankle support take a look at the Cabelas Alaskan Hunter by Meindl. I have the Alaskan Hikers and after you put a couple of miles on them they are the schizzle...The Danner's that are made in the USA are very good boots as well.

Edited by Roy Finn - September/07/2009 at 17:29
shooter4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 18:42
well its a MUST to withstand wet snow and alot of H20.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 18:48
Check out Danners. They should have something that will fit the bill.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 22:04
depends on the load your carrying and how much platform you need in the shank, Meindl, Lowe, Asolo are top choices. I prefer the Asolos.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 08:34
Bought a pair of Danner's at the end of last season.  Extremely warm and comfortable from the start...

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 11:12
I recently bought my 3rd pair of Danners. They have been great but... I see they are now made in China. Bummer. IMO, the best boots I have bought and used (for years) are Schnees Pac boots from Bozeman (I think) Montana. I absolutely love mine. ExcellentExcellentExcellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 11:14
I have a couple pair of Danner prong horn and love them to death.  I can hike all day and never have sore feet.  They are gortex and have a pretty quite sole on them.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 11:28
Danners are always a top choice.
I would add Schnees pac boots and Russell mountain hunting boots to the list. Both are excellent and the Schnees are very tough and durable.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 11:47
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I have a couple pair of Danner prong horn and love them to death.  I can hike all day and never have sore feet.  They are gortex and have a pretty quite sole on them.  

+1 on the Danner Prong Horns, that's the ones I have.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 23:42
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

I recently bought my 3rd pair of Danners. They have been great but... I see they are now made in China. Bummer. IMO, the best boots I have bought and used (for years) are Schnees Pac boots from Bozeman (I think) Montana. I absolutely love mine. ExcellentExcellentExcellent

They are made in Bozeman, and are a great boot.  But they are not really the best for hiking, and my feet sweat way too much in them unless it is below zero.  I had a pair of American Danners, and loved them.  Then had a pair of Irish Setters for three years of guiding.  I highly recommend those.  But the boot I love the most, by far, are my Whites.  Take forever to break them in, but they are the most comfortable boot I have ever had on.  I would love to get a waterproof pair, but I am not sure they make one, just have to keep them oiled really good.  Newest boot I am trying is the Blackhawk boot.  Only an 8", so I have to watch the streams, but they have been great so far.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 23:47
I like Danners and Irish Setters and you can get some Danners with "Vibram " soles.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2009 at 00:28
 Wolverine boots are light weight and for about $150 u can get  a pair that will stand anything u listed. Whats your price range? 
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2009 at 00:50

Matterhorn insulated, waterproof combat boots aren't too bad...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2009 at 06:21
danner no question, i still have the pair i bought in 1996, they were only 200gram and i wore them elk hunting in the mountains of wyoming. i wear a pair of danner super rain forestwork boots now. they have made through two seasons and im finally going to have to send them in to get recrafted this winter. danner makes a great boot. if you plan on walking a bunch i wouldnt get anything more than probably 600-800 grams otherwise your feet will sweat like crazy then your feet will freeze. the air bob soles like the elk hunter has are very comfortable and pretty good for traction.

Edited by pyro6999 - September/09/2009 at 06:23
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2009 at 06:50
White's are an extreamly comfortable and durable boot! The only down-side that I can think of is ,ike Helo mentioned, break in period, and maybe weight. But I have the lace to the toe lineman boots with a really heavy duty shank.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic