OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

tactical whats the best deal out there

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeetlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tactical whats the best deal out there
    Posted: September/07/2009 at 12:27
What scope is the best scope out on the market for 600 yard steel plate shooting. Please i am not interested in a super sniper. I had one and i didnt think much of it!! I also had a falcon Menace 5-25 and the eye relief was terrible. it also wasnt very clear on the high end of the power range. I didnt know if there was a new scope maker in the works that was offering something special that didnt have  big following yet or something similar. Thanks Lee
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 12:35
I don't think you've had one of the new Super Snipers, but SS quality has always exceeded price.  My suggestions for you would be Nightforce, Hensoldt, and/or Schmidt&Bender...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 13:33
+1  What kickboxer said.
Good Luck...

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 13:55
There are two new SS scopes that are totally different than the SS10x42, SS16x42, SS20x42 and SS10x42M.  The two news scopes have no relation to the fixed powers you are referring to, they share ZERO common parts and are made in a different factory.  While we have always felt that the SS line up was the best bang for the buck these two new models are in a different class.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 14:30
If you've tried the mid-level stuff and been dissatisfied, prepare to pony up for something big league!

The new 10X HD or 3-9 would serve well; but since you don't want those, I'd recommend Nightforce, S&B, US Optics, or Premier.  There's also Trijicon and Sightron, if the prior list is too $$.

There's no free lunch in this game, give us a budget and we can help narrow the field; just be aware that you don't get a $3,000 scope for $800 anywhere (legal.)
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 14:33
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

If you've tried the mid-level stuff and been dissatisfied, prepare to pony up for something big league!

The new 10X HD or 3-9 would serve well; but since you don't want those, I'd recommend Nightforce, S&B, US Optics, or Premier.  There's also Trijicon and Sightron, if the prior list is too $$.

There's no free lunch in this game, give us a budget and we can help narrow the field; just be aware that you don't get a $3,000 scope for $800 anywhere (legal.)

No doubt. Thunbs Up
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 14:44
Things that make you go hhmmmmm...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
skeetlee View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeetlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 21:46
i am thinking about a nikon monarch. 20 power or so. My Ai has enought Moa built into it so i dont need a ton of adjustment. Lee
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 22:06
ackley improved or accuracy international?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 01:46
Originally posted by skeetlee skeetlee wrote:

What scope is the best scope out on the market for 600 yard steel plate shooting. Please i am not interested in a super sniper. I had one and i didnt think much of it!! I also had a falcon Menace 5-25 and the eye relief was terrible. it also wasnt very clear on the high end of the power range. I didnt know if there was a new scope maker in the works that was offering something special that didnt have  big following yet or something similar. Thanks Lee

Really.  BS FlagI've had 5 of them they work just fine.   That really leaves me wondering if you had the real thing or exactly what it was you did not like.  I'd put my variable 3-9x42 super sniper up against any of the other top end tactical scopes.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 01:53

i am thinking about a nikon monarch. Roll on Floor Laughing
.... Lee

That is a HUNTING scope not a Tactical scope.  Nikon did make some tactical scopes but that didnt last very long and they didnt have enough internal adjustment.   Here is a suggestion that wont bankrupt you :
Weaver 4-20x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope Mil-Dot Weaver 4-20x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 800360
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
$724.95 
Add Weaver 4-20x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart
 and if you can break loose a little more to have an illuminated reticle :
Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Standard Crosshair w/ Green Dot Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR231G
  • Matte
  • Standard Crosshair w/ Green Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Sun Shade w/ Purchase
$1,019.95 
Add Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 01:57
Really though if you can afford an Accuracy International  Pony up and put some quality glass on it.
Zeiss 4-16x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight Zeiss 4-16x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight
Stock # - 3302929001
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Illuminated Mil-Dot
  • 34mm
  • Target Knobs
  • Side Focus
  • 0.1 MRAD
$3,462.95 
Add Zeiss 4-16x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight to Cart 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 08:26

I am not trying to start anything but I really would like to know what you did not like about the SS.  I currently have 2 and 1 is a 16x that sat on a 300 ultra magnum and fired at targets out to 600 yards.  I fired at least a 800 rounds through that rifle before selling it to a friend.... I bought the SS 16x back from him and it is sitting on my 300 WSM.  No problems at all.  Good looks, dependable, tracks, clicks, clear glass- not the HD but good stuff.
Anyway, just interested in what happened...

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 08:34
Lee,

If you buy a 40MOA scope and put it on a 20MOA base, you will have severe problems.

If you don't like Falcon or SuperSniper, I can say with some certainty that you will not like the Nikon.

And I'll go one step further and say if you want >20X magnification and you don't like mid-level glass (even in a 10X), you will absolutely hate a Nikon.

As said already, if your "AI" is an Accuracy International, my guess is you'll regret anything south of Nightforce/IOR you put on the gun.

Monarch would be a bad fit.  Again, if you can offer a budget and needs and wants, we can help steer you away from mistakes like a Nikon Monarch on a tactical gun.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Rath View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2009 at 18:38
I Agree with Rancid, putting a cheap scope on a AI is like sticking training wheels on a Ferrari!

skeetlee View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeetlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2009 at 13:17
I thought my super sniper 16x was cloudy around the edges plus i do not like fixed power scopes. to much mirage were i shoot. A lot of times i dont need anything more than 12x. I am broke after buying the Accurcy international. I can do around 800 bucks for a scope or wait a while and do a little more. I have a Leupold VX3 EFI 5.5x20 on it now but it isnt the proper scope for the rifle.  I am thinking about a Benchrest nightforce but there again not the best fit. I dont know anything about the new Super sniper scopes. whats with the HD deal?  Lee
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2009 at 13:21
The new SS HD is sweet.  The glass is as good as IOR glass, clear to the very edges.  Here is a review I did of mine.  http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=19132
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2009 at 13:29

I thought my super sniper 16x was cloudy around the edges plus i do not like fixed power scopes. to much mirage were i shoot. A lot of times i dont need anything more than 12x. I am broke after buying the Accurcy international. I can do around 800 bucks for a scope or wait a while and do a little more. I have a Leupold VX3 EFI 5.5x20 on it now but it isnt the proper scope for the rifle.  I am thinking about a Benchrest nightforce but there again not the best fit. I dont know anything about the new Super sniper scopes. whats with the HD deal?  Lee

Ok, thats fair enough... Thanks for the info and good luck. 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2009 at 13:37

The new Super Sniper scopes are the 3-9x42 and 10x42HD.  Both have appreciably better glass than the original super snipers (which was no slouch in its own right, especially after a redesign a few years back).

If you need a variable scope that reaches to 20x or so, I would suggest you look at Sightron S3 6-24x50.  It is a good bench scope.

ILya
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2009 at 00:34
Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope Mil-Dot Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 800362
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
$649.95 
Add Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart 
Weaver 4-20x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope Mil-Dot Weaver 4-20x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 800360
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
$724.95 
Add Weaver 4-20x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart 
I dont have much intel on these even the people at Weaver seem clueless but they are due out very soon and would cover the magnification range you desire.   I like the Trijicon but it suffers from only having 50moa of internal adjustment.  On an AI I'm thinking everything one would really want to put on one is in the over 2k range so there will have to be some type of compromise.   The Sightron S 3 6-24x50 is a fine suggestion. Depending on caliber one might wish to consider the Zeiss Conquest  with Z1000  balistic reticle especially if its a .308. If its 50BMG this may be of interest.
10582 Swarovski 10x42 Professional Hunter 57175, Matte finish, christmas tree reticle 500-2000yds, cCalibrated for .50 cal, 30mm tube, fast focus eye piece, ring marks $699.95
All said and dont it would certainly be reasonable to put the Super Sniper 10x HD on it untill you can buy a $3500 Heinsoldt or S&B or U.S. Optics or Nightforce.  You would like the mil mil clicks its a very pleasant experience.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic