OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope features

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope features
    Posted: September/05/2009 at 23:36
This kinda goes along with my other post. But how big a difference in hunting does obj. with 40 or 50mm make? and 1" tubes versus 30mm?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 07:40
For general hunting, probably none...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 08:09
I like the larger lens 10 x 50, 4.5 x 14 x 50 or 56, because you get more light at the end of the day and real early in the morning. 
I can see deer and other animals better. 
I think the larger objective lenses do have an affect on hunting anywhere. 

I agree with the fact that 1 inch versus 30mm dosent have that much affect on your normal hunting.

JMO!

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 08:38
If most of your shooting occurs in low light conditions the larger objective will help. The 30" tube give's you more windage adjustment. 
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
ti-force View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 10:35
 I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I've done a lot of reading on OT, and I was under the impression that, if the glass is equal, the size of the objective lens matters very little. Like I said, I'm not trying to start an argument, just learning from you guys.

Casey
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 10:40
In low light, a bigger objective provides a noticeably brighter image, all other things being equal.  The lower the power, the less the difference.

Taking a shot at 9X in low light, you will see significantly better with a 50mm than a 40mm.  So, here's the question: do you wanna lug around a heavier rig in the daylight hours so you can take a precise shot in failing light?  For me, the answer is sometimes no but is many times yes - depends on the circumstances.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ti-force View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 10:55
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

In low light, a bigger objective provides a noticeably brighter image, all other things being equal.  The lower the power, the less the difference.

Taking a shot at 9X in low light, you will see significantly better with a 50mm than a 40mm.  So, here's the question: do you wanna lug around a heavier rig in the daylight hours so you can take a precise shot in failing light?  For me, the answer is sometimes no but is many times yes - depends on the circumstances.

Okay, so if I have an elite 4200 3-9x40 set on 6x magnification, and an elite 4200 3-9x50 set on 7x magnification, they would both be the same brightness right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 11:21
Exit pupils of 6.667 and 7.14, respectively. They be very, VERY close.  Assuming the glass is exactly the same, they would be almost indistinguishable.

Assuming both were at 9X, the 40 would give you an exit pupil of 4.44 while the 50 would give 5.55 - and that would be noticeable in failing light.

Now, don't misunderstand: I am absolutely NOT recommending everyone toss their 40mm scopes and go get 50mm or 56mm scopes for their light-weight rifles.  I have several 40mm objective - scopes and will continue to run them with confidence.

My go-to deer gun has a 3-10x42 and it is about perfect (Swaro, fantastic glass, never missed taking a shot because I didn't have enough light.)  My hog guns have 50mm objectives - simply because I WILL be taking low-light (almost "no light") shots and I NEED the rounds to hit exactly where I want them.

In most cases, my recommendation would be this: 40mm or smaller on stalking, light-weight guns, 50mm on large guns that do not need to be stream-lined or "snag-free". 
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 11:32

Exit pupils of 6.667 and 7.14, respectively. They be very, VERY close.  Assuming the glass is exactly the same, they would be almost indistinguishable.

Assuming both were at 9X, the 40 would give you an exit pupil of 4.44 while the 50 would give 5.55 - and that would be noticeable in failing light.

Now, don't misunderstand: I am absolutely NOT recommending everyone toss their 40mm scopes and go get 50mm or 56mm scopes for their light-weight rifles.  I have several 40mm objective - scopes and will continue to run them with confidence.

My go-to deer gun has a 3-10x42 and it is about perfect (Swaro, fantastic glass, never missed taking a shot because I didn't have enough light.)  My hog guns have 50mm objectives - simply because I WILL be taking low-light (almost "no light") shots and I NEED the rounds to hit exactly where I want them.

In most cases, my recommendation would be this: 40mm or smaller on stalking, light-weight guns, 50mm on large guns that do not need to be stream-lined or "snag-free". 

Thunbs Up

Like fishing rods you can have a couple of rifle setups too.  Wink
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
ti-force View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 11:33

Well putExcellent.

Thank you.
ti-force View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 11:37
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Thunbs Up

Like fishing rods you can have a couple of rifle setups too.  Wink

Bucky
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 13:31
Originally posted by Trays 7940 Trays 7940 wrote:

I like the larger lens 10 x 50, 4.5 x 14 x 50 or 56, because you get more light at the end of the day and real early in the morning. 
I can see deer and other animals better. 
I think the larger objective lenses do have an affect on hunting anywhere. 

I agree with the fact that 1 inch versus 30mm dosent have that much affect on your normal hunting.

JMO!
In very low light and high power, the larger objective will provide a "brighter" image.  However, general hunting, from dawn to dusk, most people cannot see the difference.  A 30mm tube provides more "room" for beefier guts in the scope, which with the right manufacturer means it will probably be able to withstand heavier recoil longer and will provide more room for elevation AND windage adjustment.  I know some people who never leave to hunt before daylight and are home well before the sun goes down.  They would not need a large objective and they shoot "girly-man" rifles. You know,  300WinMag and below...
Sorry, I almost forgot...

Edited by Kickboxer - September/06/2009 at 13:33

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
nksmfamjp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nksmfamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 10:29

Will you turn turrrets?  If the answer is no, use a 1" tube.  1" is cheaper and lighter in general and has more ring choices, but this is getting close.  If you will turn turrets, somewhere between 400 and 1000 yards your scope will run out of adjustment depending on scope, load and zero.  Also, scopes are more acccurate near the center of adjustment.

40 vs 50+ mm. . .Will you look through your scope before legal shooting light, after legal shooting light, or will you hunt a very dark woods?  Distance also plays into this.  At a longert distance, around dusk, it is nice to have the larger bell for a clearer image.  For most people, the 40 is better for weight, which probably should be the driving factor.  Not sure.  I like a 13 - 15 lb plains setup, so the 50 bell was a natural for my gun just to weigh enough and balance well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 10:47
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

In very low light and high power, the larger objective will provide a "brighter" image.  However, general hunting, from dawn to dusk, most people cannot see the difference.  A 30mm tube provides more "room" for beefier guts in the scope, which with the right manufacturer means it will probably be able to withstand heavier recoil longer and will provide more room for elevation AND windage adjustment.  I know some people who never leave to hunt before daylight and are home well before the sun goes down.  They would not need a large objective and they shoot "girly-man" rifles. You know,  300WinMag and below...
Sorry, I almost forgot...

Wow, what a jab!

I like my 300WMs, "girly-man" as they may be. A single, well-placed round...

"Girly-man" rifles, yea, sure, whatever.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 12:58
I can't think of a much better "all around" caliber than 300WinMag.  I don't currently own one, but it is one of my favorites... 

The only "girly man" rifle is one you can't hit the target with...

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 13:28
Get Your Popcorn Ready I reckon my 300WSM would be a "Short girly man" Smile

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 13:32
Originally posted by Trays 7940 Trays 7940 wrote:

Get Your Popcorn Ready I reckon my 300WSM would be a "Short girly man" Smile

So... you are saying you can shoot it, but you can't hit anything with it??????

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 13:45
oooooo, you got me there KB....  My wit was one post to late.  Excellent

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 13:49

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 08:28
Laugh  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic