OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Muzzle Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 16:47
You should get two rifles just alike Julio.  Get one in .223 and the other in one of your 3 mentioned calibers.  They you can hunt bigger game with it and enjoy all the shooting you can handle with the .223.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 17:01
Jason,
Thats a good idea really!!! I like it, my wife would hate it. Instead of this Kiss She would do thisHammer Hit  or if I really, really pushed it, she would do thisNut Kicker and if I continued to still not listen to her, she would then do thisBeheadand thats on a good day. On a bad day I cannot even find the emoticons to show you how ugly it could really get!!!

Besides I have my little AR 223 Bushmaster and I can shoot it all day, I really love that little rifle, its very accurate , especially with the 3x10x42 Swaro....Smile

Edited by JF4545 - September/04/2009 at 17:02
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 17:26
i'd just get a 7-08 i guess
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 18:05
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 22:27
Originally posted by magshooter1 magshooter1 wrote:

A guy fromour camp went down to Texas a couple of years ago and I remember him telling us that the outfitter told him he could bing any caliber gun he wanted AS LONG AS IT DID NOT HAVE A BREAK.  They would not let you hunt with a muzzle braked gun on that ranch.  It was too much for the guides.  Personally I believe that if you need a brake to shoot a particular rifle/caliber combination you need a rifle/caliber with less recoil.  But that's just MHO.  And everybody has one.

There are more than a few guides who will not guide a hunter shooting a muzzle brake.
 I don't blame them.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 22:35
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

What if you already have a nice rifle that you'd rather not get rid of, and you have medical conditions that prevent you from shooting rifles with much recoil?  So, basically, you're faced with either parting with the rifle or getting a brake.

I believe that's the case here.

Reduced handloads.
 Seriously.
 A .300 Magnum can easily be loaded  down to .223 recoil levels.
 You probably wouldn't want to hunt tigers with such a load, but if a person has that many medical problems, a strenuous dangerous-game hunt probably isn't on the agenda anyway.
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 23:57
I have hunted for many years without hearing protection.
Today I would not think about shooting without protection, NEVER not a single round.
I am using Pelter sport tac and Peltor WS alert.
The WS alert has bluetoth built in and the dampening effect on both my ears and on the microphone is outstanding.
So regardless if I am speaking in phone with the WS alert when having the milling machine running, or while on the shooting range, people would hardly notice it........

When it comes to muzzle brakes i am using one on my TRG .338 and as I always have protection it's not a problem.

I belive the protection is a cultural/age thing.
Here where I live about 75-85% on each hunt have electronical hearing protection of some kind, while 10 years ago you would hardly find anyone with it.

Technika

Edited by www.technika.nu - September/04/2009 at 23:59
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2009 at 00:31
Ron,
I just PM'd you, Im very interested in learning how to load down the 270WSM. I know there must be a way as you can buy reduced loads. Of course I do not want them overly light, maybe so the TSX BT 130 grainers would perform in a 260 Remington...That would be about perfect for me, if it can be done safely that is. All I have to go by are my reloading manuals, you told me in the beginning to buy a bunch of books and I did.....
Thanks!
J......
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2009 at 00:39
Your hearing is precious, and irreplaceable.  My wife has a hearing disability, and it is a terrible  handicap.  Imagine not being able to hear a fire alarm going off right over your head! 

Wearing ear plugs (and/or muffs) when you shoot is MUCH easier than  having to wear hearing aids all the time in order to even have a normal conversation with your friends and family.

If you are shooting a rifle with a muzzle brake, hearing protection is a REQUIREMENT for you and for everyone with you.  Period. 

I wear a set of earplugs when hunting.  They bring the muzzle blast of a non-braked rifle or shotgun down to a reasonably safe level, and I haven't found them to be a handicap.  I still have excellent hearing after many years of shooting, thanks to the constant use of ear plugs and muffs.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2009 at 07:06
Agreed LongHunter...
The only time you don't need hearing protection is when you bowhunt......  Smile

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2009 at 08:06
im so serious about protecting my hearing that i wear them when i mow my lawn or even vacuum my house. i always have my ear plugs in my pocket everywhere i go.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2009 at 08:13

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2009 at 08:19
here is what i wear. i think it cost me $120 or something

http://www.westone.com/content/186.html
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2009 at 08:23
We have a guy at the Dallas gun show that shoots a putty into your ears and molds the plugs specifically to your ears.  I have not had the guts to have him do it to me, but a friend of mine had it done, he loves his.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2009 at 08:24
I currently use the kind Mike has above. 

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2009 at 08:25
Originally posted by Trays 7940 Trays 7940 wrote:

We have a guy at the Dallas gun show that shoots a putty into your ears and molds the plugs specifically to your ears.  I have not had the guts to have him do it to me, but a friend of mine had it done, he loves his.

thats exactly what http://www.westone.com/content/186.htm     
does as well it feels funky for a second but its not bad.

Edited by pyro6999 - September/05/2009 at 08:25
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2009 at 08:37
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Thunbs Up

This one looks pretty good for hunting too.

http://www.westone.com/content/185.html
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2009 at 08:43
i wear them at work and im on heavy equipment all day long, and obviously some things are louder than others and they work great for that or for shooting. i wear them to car fires too, nothing like a tire letting go at 0300 to make you crap your pants. the nice thing about westone is that they have dealers all over the usa.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2009 at 08:45
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Thunbs Up

This one looks pretty good for hunting too.

http://www.westone.com/content/185.html

they would be great for that, i dont know what those would cost, i would guess that they are more than the ones i have though. the first pair of fitted plugs i got several years ago had a filter in them to allow you to hear spoken voice, but block out machine noise. they werent the best for shooting though.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2009 at 09:48
http://www.msa-sordin.com/en/produkter.asp?rId=201&mId=104

This is what I wear, they do a great job amplifying ambient sound and do a great job killing the muzzle report.

They are well made and keep my ears warm on those cold, cold mornings!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic