OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for an AR15 Varmint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LT Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for an AR15 Varmint
    Posted: September/03/2009 at 23:13
Need suggestions for which scope I should buy for the AR varmint rifle I just built

Targets/Varmints:  200 yards up to 500 yards
Budget:  $500

thanks

danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 00:17
http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x44-Viper-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P10821.aspx

$50 rebate on that

Also I seen people raving about these http://swfa.com/Bushnell-6-24x40-Elite-4200-Rifle-Scope-P254.aspx on varmint forums and reviews around the web if you want to do a search...but they are $50 over the budget.

I think most favored for low money would be Weaver Grand Slam and Classic V series.  Fixed 10x SS scopes...and for a little more Nikon Monarchs and Sightrons.

Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 00:19
All right! I beat everyone else to the punch.  Wow! 
I just don't think you can get a better scope, for the money, than a Super Sniper. 
Iam loving this set up.  I just put a 10X on my AR. 
I also have a SS16X on my tactical 300WSM. I have had my 16X for a couple of years.  It was originally on a 300 Ultra Mag that I sold to a buddy of mine.  I put a lot of rounds down that barrel and never had a problem with the scope.  In fact, I liked the scope so much, I baught the scope back from the guy and put it on my 300WSM. I have been shooting out to 600yds with the set up and it is still working great. 
Here is a pic of my new SS10X on my new Rock River Varmit. 

Rifle Stats:
Mfg: Rock River
Cal: .223
Stock: Currently A4 soon to be Magpul adjustable PSS.
Barrel: 20 inch
Scope: SS 10X
Mounts: SWFA SSALT

Edited by Trays 7940 - September/04/2009 at 01:26

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 00:21

Darn it!  Beat out by the marines at the last second. Sad

But I got a picture!  Smile

Edited by Trays 7940 - September/04/2009 at 00:22

danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 00:23
That is a beautiful picture Trays.  Texas land and laws sound so good right now....

I was spying on ya and clicked on post reply before you got to it!

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 00:31
USMC, your all right!  Excellent

LT Glock View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LT Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 06:49
Trays,

Sweet set up, mine might be an exact match.  Does the SS 10x42 start at 10 magnification and go to 42?  New to the whole scope thing.

thanks
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 08:37
No, the "42" is the objective size, the scope is a fixed 10-power.

I owned the Bushnell 6-24 4200 and it is serviceable, but the glass isn't spectacular above about 17X.

Will you be shooting prairie dogs out to 500 yards?   As I recently told USMC, good glass beats magnification every time.  If I had $500 to spend, I'd go with lower magnification and better glass.

A 10X SS would not be a bad choice. 

There are other options, let us know more about what you intend to shoot (coyotes, rats, gnats, etc)
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
LT Glock View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LT Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 09:23
Rancid,

A couple of guys in my team just graduated from Long range Marksmanship Training/Sniper school, now they are training those who are interested.  I've been getting some great training.  I will be shooting targets from 200 to 600 yards, with the occasional prairie dog or coyote.

I have read a lot of your posts and I read were you recommend a 3-9, there are just so many to choose from.

Thanks
LT Glock View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LT Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 09:25
PS.
Wish me luck , I'm off to test fire ensuring I put the rifle together correctly.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 09:37
I do really like the 3-9SS, and it is a great addition to an AR platform.

I'm not a prairie dog hunter, so someone else will need to chime in on whether 9X is good for that target at that range; however, for most applications, 9X is good for a 500-yard shot.

The 3-9SS is about the best glass you will get in that price range, and the mil turret with mil reticle (FFP) is a very nice thing for adjusting fire.

It is a weeee bit more than your budget, but if you can swing the 3-9 SuperSniper, I would highly recommend it.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 14:45
Yup, I agree RC. 
In fact I am pretty sure I am going to change 10X to the 3x9 SS. 
 I went back down to SWFA today to pick up a bipod.  The more I look at the 3x9 the more I like it.  Not to mention how good it looks on the AR15...  Wink

I guess I should have asked what varmint was being shot at.  Where Iam from it usually means coyotes and the 9x or the 10x are fine for that kind of hunting.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic