OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

short, low power scope for SKS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempestv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: short, low power scope for SKS
    Posted: September/02/2009 at 23:38
New to the forum
I have a 16" barrel SKS that I would like to set up as a knock around "truck gun". I'm looking to add an optic, but I'm not terribly versed in what's out there. I'm looking for something somewhere between 1x-3x. Something compact like a red dot would be great, but I would like to have a reticle so that I don't have to turn the sight on each time I shoot. Because I'm trying to retain the capability of loading this gun with stripper clips, I either need to be able to mount the scope behind the action, which requires a scope that is 6" or shorter, or I need to mount it ahead of the action, which requires a scout scope.

I really don't have much money into this rifle, so I wouldn't want to put a ton of money into the optic. I would be willing to spend $150, or maybe up to $200, but $150 or less would be much preferred.

Does anyone have any ideas?
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 00:43
a google search brought up a few right away that would work fine while retaining use with stripper clips....scrolling through the swfa.com website to see if they got a good one for you but it's probably easier for you to just call them up and see what they say.  I'm sure they have one that is right for you.

Just get one of the mounts that do attach right at the rear of the action and throw on the Weaver Classic V 1-3 http://swfa.com/Weaver-1-3x20-Classic-V-Rifle-Scope-P2864.aspx

Or fixed 4x  http://swfa.com/Weaver-4x38-Classic-K-Rifle-Scope-P5054.aspx

tempestv View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempestv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 00:59
the 1-3 weaver looks good, except that it's over 9" long. It seems like it would really get in the way. 
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 01:33
It's hard to find something shorter bro....you might need to get a red dot sight if you want under 9 inches in length.

Something 9-11 inches and 9-13 ounches is ok on a rifle the size of an SKS...not out of place and not bulky enough to slow you down or screw up fast snap shots.

You want a little edge in accuracy with an SKS because they are built to crude tolerances and not born to accuracy greatness.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 01:37
Pretty small  http://swfa.com/Leupold-25x20-FX-II-Ultralight-Riflescope-P3263.aspx

8 inches length and 8 ounces

I doubt its any better than the $150 Weaver though...the little 1-3 Weaver has positive feedback every where.  Probably the most often suggested scope that is priced under $300.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 01:54
http://swfa.com/Barska-4x32-Contour-Rifle-Scope-P7329.aspx

I think this is it for you bro....under 8 inches in length and comes with sks mount and rings
tempestv View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempestv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 02:11
If money were not a concern, I'd probably get an Aimpoint T1, and not worry about the battery life. However, the cheaper red dots don't have the Aimpoint's long life, which is why I would prefer regular cross hairs.
Something this sized, but with cross hairs instead of a battery dependent red dot would be perfect:
http://swfa.com/Mueller-1x32-Multi-Dot-30mm-Red-Dot-Sight-P9129.aspx
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 02:17
Glass etched reticles with illumination seem like the best of all deals. 

The prism scopes for Leupold and Burris (maybe others too) would work ok.

tempestv View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempestv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 02:18
I like the leupold, maybe I can find a used one that is in my price range.

9" still seems like it would have to stick way back in order to let stripper clips clear the front.

If I mount the scope in the rear, I intend to use the Russian style side mount rail and a quick release mount.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 02:27
The Burris Timberline 4x20 is around 8 inches and $150.00. Maybe look into some pistol scopes and you might find something.
tempestv View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempestv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 02:27
Originally posted by tempestv tempestv wrote:

I like the leupold, maybe I can find a used one that is in my price range.

I mean the one in the link, not the 1x14 prismatic, which is also a nice scope, and would probably be even better, expect that it is way way out of my price range.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 02:31
Good luck with it, I can't remember what my father is using on his SKS but his set up is good.  Try to see if I can catch him on the phone and get an idea of what it is. 

I would personally do a forward mounted scout scope set up, using a pistol scope like Dave mentions.

Just because the type of rifle it is, I think it fits it very well.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 14:29
This is a tough one. For my SKSs I ended putting a red dot on one and a scout scope on the other.

For a recever mounted scope, keep in mind that you need a scope that is both short in length and has short eye relief (in order to mount it far enough back).  None of the scopes mentioned in this thread will work.

Barska makes a 4x21 scope specifically for this application, but it is Barska and I would not recommend that POS to anyone.

I'd go with a red dot of some sort.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic