OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

HELP, XTR,MK4,OR NXS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livnpaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP, XTR,MK4,OR NXS
    Posted: September/02/2009 at 10:58
OK, I'm cheap... this will be the first good scope I have ever bought.  Currently the best scope I have is a Nikon buckmark 18x.  I just had a rifle built by GAP and need some good glass on it.  right now it has a COUNTERSNIPER 25X on it and will be going on ebay!  Anyway Ive never owned a Burris, Leupold, or Nightforce.  Is there that much of a difference between these scopes?  The power range will be 22-24or 25.  I will not be doing anything over 1000yds.  Ill be lucky to get to a range that has 600yds.  I really like the NXS but really cant afford it...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 11:34
Another option is a Super Sniper if you are on a tight budget.  They have them in fixed 10x, 16x, and 20x.  Plus a 3-9x variable and the new 10x with HD glass.  10x would be plenty for 600 yards and many people use that for 1000 yards. 

But on the ones you asked about, the Nightforce then Leupold will be the better scopes.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
livnpaintball View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livnpaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 13:18
supertool, thanks for the reply! i forgot that i have a 20X supersniper on my 308.  Its a good scope but want a vari power in the higher range.  I like to see the knats hair.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 17:10
Well,

This could stir up a bee's nest, but here goes:

Leupold often gets a hard time on this forum and others.  I like the Leupy Mark 4.  I have used many of them and have found them to be tough, dependable, top-quality scopes.  I have owned a lot of different brands of riflescopes.  My favorite scope is my Mark4 6.5-20 m1.  I have read about the "poor" optics of the Mark4 series and have not found this to be true in my case.  My Mark4 is tack sharp with the parallax set correctly for range.

I have spent some time with Nightforce, and found their optics pretty good, too.  In my opinion their optical performance is similar to the Mark4 (Its just my opinion Nightforce fans!).  I have looked through some of the uber-expensive scopes and found them to be quite spectacular optically (S&B).  However, they weren't so spectacularly better than the Leupold for me to say it is going to make a difference in any shooting situation I am going to see.

Leupold makes a great scope in just about all of their model lines.  They are a fantastic company that has been around a long time and stands behind their products.  My Mark4 is tough.  It took a tremendous mountain fall during one of my hunts, where my Remington Sendero it rides on received a chipped barrel crown.  The scope not only still looks like new, but after being removed from the rifle, cleaned (the objective filled with dirt and rocks), and remounted on the same (now recrowned) rifle; it maintained it's zero perfectly.  The adjustments are absolutely dead nuts 1/4 moa.  They are no-questions-asked repeatable  and stay consistent from top to bottom through the dial.

I really like my SS10X42 and Zeiss Conquests, but my Mark4 is my favorite scope.  There, I admit it, I'm a Leupold fan.

Whacko
-Matt
KY Hick View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY Hick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 18:46
I was in your shoes awhile ago, and I looked at the 3 brands you mentioned. It came between the Leupy and the NF. I went with the MK4 6.5x20x50, the price of the NF just did not seem to warrant the price diff to me. But I will say you will not go wrong with either of the 2. The Burris was nice looking too but not enough adjustment for what I wanted.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 21:20
Well if you have George Gardner building you a rifle you cant be so cheap that you dont appreciate the fact that sometimes what you want cost more than you would really like to pay.  If you were to ask George he would tell you U.S. Optics and if not that Nightforce but your budget has eliminated both of those already so what's left. Leupold, Trijicon, SightronSIII,  IOR, Weaver and a couple of others.  I'll paste the ones in your power range because you have eliminated the Super Sniper by requiring a high power range variable.  Does anything here strike your fancy?
Leupold 6.5-20x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope TMR Leupold 6.5-20x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU60080
  • Matte
  • Tactical Milling Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • M1 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
$1,249.95 
Add Leupold 6.5-20x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope to Cart
Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR23R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
  • Free Sun Shade w/ Purchase
$1,019.95 
Add Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart
IOR 6-24x50 Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope Illuminated MP-8 Dot IOR 6-24x50 Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 642502
  • Matte
  • Illuminated MP-8 Dot
  • 35mm
  • Exposed Knobs
  • Side Focus
  • Free IOR 35mm High Rings w/ Purchase
  • Free Sun Shade w/ Purchase
$1,594.95 
Add IOR 6-24x50 Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope to Cart 
Sightron 6-24x50 SIII 30mm Riflescope Mil-Dot Sightron 6-24x50 SIII 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SIIISS624X50LRMD
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
$804.95 
Add Sightron 6-24x50 SIII 30mm Riflescope to Cart 
Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope Mil-Dot Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 800362
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
$649.95 
Add Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livnpaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 21:42

It took 7 months to get this rifle built but was worth every penny.  I wanted the obermeyer barrel but ended up with the bartlien.  US Optics would be great but way too much for me.  Now I'm liking the thought of the IOR scope, just worried about the whole getting it serviced if needed.  Or I could just say the hell with it and get the Nightforce but I just cant see where it is that much better than the Leupy or IOR. Damn decisions.....

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 22:48
The IOR will have better glass than the Nightforce. Where the Nightforce shines is it is very repeatable consitent mechanicals.  I have a couple of Leupolds and two of the 3-9x42 Super Snipers.  I understand this is not the power range you seem to think you need but there is a lot to love about this scope.  FFP   1/10 mil clicks  very nice glass and oh yea its a third the cost with better glass beside that in low light this turns down to 6x with a 7mm exit eye pupil and at 42mm there is nothing clunky about it.  Why is it you think you need more power are you after prairie dogs?  What caliber did you settle on for your build.
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95 
Add SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/02/2009 at 22:51

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 22:53
10x at 1000 yds is like open sights at 100 yds
20x at 1000 yds is like open sights at 50 yds 

I'm surprised you didnt like this one it has really primo glass:

10526 Swarovski 6-24x50 Professional Hunter 57203, Matte finish, fine crosshair reticle, 30mm tube, fasy focus shock absorbing eye piece, adjustable objective (50yds-infinity), target knobs, marks on elevation urret cap otherwise like new   $1,499.95
Oh and by the way I have a Leupold Mk 4   3.5-10X40  FFP on my GAP 300 WM so dont feel bad if you decide Leupold is where you want to be.  If you were not talking 600 to 1000 Id tell you to go Trijicon but they only put  50 moa total in the scope.  I would take a really strong look at the Sightron SIII with 100 moa.    Is this a Police  tactical rifle or what is it's purpose?

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/02/2009 at 23:11

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 23:09
I have a NF 2.5-10x32 and it is a wonderful scope. However, if it had been available at the time I'd have gotten the SS 3-9 instead. IMO, that's plenty of magnification for shooting out to 600 and occasionally 1000. I shoot my M1 out to 300-500 whenever I'm out and can hit pretty close to what I can with the 10X magnification of the dead-on NF scope. To me, a high-mag scope comes with more minuses than pluses. What good is seeing a gnat's hair if you can only do it from a $200 bench rest? MOG (minute-of-gnat) is good enough for me. Smile
Reaction time is a factor...
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livnpaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 06:44

I'm one of those hard headed guys when it comes to scope power, most of my shooting is off a bench or bipods. The rifle is chambered in 260 Remington and the first time out i was able to get .35" 5 shoot group with berger 140's. Going to try the AMAXs and Sierra 142's next.  The main purpose of this build? Just to have a rifle that is capable of shooting compositions if I want. The swarovski is super nice! Another scope that you listed the Sightron SIII, Ive heard good things about there scopes as well and now they have my interest too. I should drive down to SWFA and bug them on Friday and take a look at these tubes.......

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 09:41
Since you really like the Nightforce, check out the sample list. There is a Nightforce 5.5-22 with a NP-R1 reticule. That should save you some money. And where NF really shines is in their adjustments, they are excellent. Which is a big consideration when one is shooting at different distances. Plus it has enough adjustment to get you to the 1000yds.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livnpaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 16:02
HERE it is with the MEGA-TACTICAL-SUPER-EXTENDED-HD-COUNTERSNIPER TERD.http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/3884675935_1c5c212744.jpg
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 16:06
Just note that magnification does not beat glass quality.  A 10x quality scope will give you a better view that a POS 20x scope.  Resolution does a lot for your image. 

I have also tried a lot of those cheapo scope and then I ponied up and bought a nice scope and wow, what a difference.  I very seldom shoot over 10x now even when I am shooting over 700 yards. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livnpaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 18:04
went up to swfa today and looked at some scopes, the leupy mk4 is a good scope but the IOR takes the win.  A young man helped me out and mentioned a few things that I didnt think about. The IOR was my first pick but got distracted by the NXS and MK4 due to the millitary using them......  Now its all right..
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 19:08
What did you get?

I've been a Nightforce fan for some time, I really like their stuff, very tough, quite precise, glass is serviceable, reticules are great.

IOR has great glass and spotty Customer Service.  SO long as your scope is solid, you will be an IOR fan.  If you scope ever has an issue, you will quickly become an IOR hater.  I;ve heard stories of people getting new scopes (with a damaged scope sent in for warranty work) in 2 weeks and people waiting 6+ months for a scope, it's luck of the draw.

The 5.5-22 is tempting!

I reviewed the Sightron S3 recently and really liked it.  For a bench gun, it would be very hard to beat the 6-24 for anywhere near the price.  I wouldn't put it on a duty gun, but would have no hesitation in putting one on a range gun, it is money very well spent.  I compared it side-by-side to a Nightforce and, for glass, it was right there with the NF.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livnpaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 19:48
I havent bought one yet, but that is where my heart is now, the IOR 6x24x50.  Ive heard good things about the S3 but havent handled any.  would like to before I buy but if not it will be the IOR.  Guys up at swfa helped me a lot!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 20:49

If you have the opportunity, I'd handle/look through an S3 before making the final decision.  

IOR glass is nice.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic