OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Light weight illuminated scope for european huntin
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Light weight illuminated scope for european huntin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mannheim Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light weight illuminated scope for european huntin
    Posted: September/01/2009 at 16:21
Hello all.

There are a lot of great posts on this forum, and a lot of wisdom and experience out there.

I am a Texan stationed in Germany.

I have a CZ 550FS (full-length stock) in 9.3x62. 

I like the weight and fast handling action of the rifle.  I don't want to burden it with a heavy scope.  For testing I put a spare Weaver Extreme 25-10x56 (25 ounces!!!) on it and it killed the feel of the rifle.

We hunt in full darkness for fox and pigs, so an illuminated reticle is necessary to see what you are using to aim.  I have had to pass on shots where I could plainly see the animal but not the crosshairs on the otherwise exceptional Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50.

Most hunting in Europe is 100m or less.  On a drive hunt you may be shooting at 25m.  On a field you may shoot 250m.  Therefore a power range of near unity to around 6 power is about right.  I frequently use my Bushnell Elite mounted on a Savage 116 .30-06 set at 6-8 power.

I know these are conflicting aims, but is there a good, clear scope with an illuminated (preferably #4) reticle out there that keeps the weight down?  I think the 17-25 ouncers are way too heavy.  I would prefer 8-12 ounces.

I realize this is a tall order, but I am really looking to y'alls experience.

Thanks in advance,

Robert
aka
Mannheim Bob
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2009 at 16:31
This one might be the ticket for you.  It is 7x and weights 19 ozs but Meostar glass is fantastic and it is illuminated.  http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/prod.php?prod=308&nav1=2&nav2=3

Edited by supertool73 - September/01/2009 at 16:32
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2009 at 16:35
You could always go with a 3-9x Trijicon accupoint.  The illumination is pretty much the best you can get, not batteries required.  It weighs about 13.5 oz
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2009 at 16:39
The Trijicon Accupoint 3-9X40 (TR20) is only slightly heavier than your stated upper weight limit, and it's an exceptional low light scope.  I have one, and I use mine for nighttime hog and predator hunting.

Besides the original BAC triangle post reticle, it's also available with duplex and mil dot reticles with illuminated center dots, in amber, red, and green.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2009 at 16:40
Sorry to repeat you, ST.  You and I were posting at the same time.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Mannheim Bob View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mannheim Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2009 at 16:51
Thanks for the nod on Trijicon, I think they are splendid scopes.  I am on the fence with a 3x9, however.   I do have a concern with them, though: 3"" eye relief.  A 9.3x62 kicks pretty hard with 286 grain slugs at 2500 fps.  I like to say "I am hitting with a .30-06, AND a .270..."  I have avoided scope eyebrow up til now...

I prefer lower level for close in shooting, they make a 1.25-4. It has 4" of eye relief. That is nice, but 4x is pushing it.  I took a Kudu at 240m in ZA with my Marlin 1895XLR in .45-70 with 325 grain Hornady FTX.  That was about my limit using the Weaver Extreme 1.5-4.5x24.  Nice scope, illuminated #4, but heavy.  Affects the balance of the rifle. 

In the end, I would rather it went up to 6x...

Thus my quandry...  Leupold makes a nice 2-7x28, 8oz, but no illumination... and on it goes.

Thanks!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2009 at 18:36
Trijicon Accupoints have the best illuminated reticle in the business, so I would seriously look at one of those.

Aside from Trijicon, generally the conditions you describe make me think of 1.5-6x42 as an ideal configuration for your needs.

There are not all that many options out there.  Here are some that I can think of:

Burris Euro Diamond 1.5-6x40 with illuminated #4 for about $630
S&B Zenith 1.5-6x42 for about $2400
Zeiss 1.5-6x42 Victory Varipint for about $2200

Personally, I would probably get a Trijicon Accupoint and never look back.  Unofrtunately they do not make one in 1.5-6x42, so 3-9x40 is the way to go.

ILya

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mannheim Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2009 at 18:55
I do like the Trijicon.

The Burris 30mm 1.5-6x42 has been at or near the top of my list for a while now.  The only drawback is that it weighs 17 oz.

I suppose I can tell myself the extra weight will help with the recoil Big Grin.

I do like the idea of the Trijicon.  Maybe I'll try the 1-4 and see how it works.  if it is not enough magnification I can always move it to the .416 Rigby when I get it.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Please keep them coming!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mannheim Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 04:23
Also high on my list is the Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 with an illuminated #4 reticle.  At 13 ounces, it works within my weight limits.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mannheim Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 07:26
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

This one might be the ticket for you.  It is 7x and weights 19 ozs but Meostar glass is fantastic and it is illuminated.  http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/prod.php?prod=308&nav1=2&nav2=3

Thank you for the suggestion.  I agree that Meopta makes good glass.  It would keep in the Czech theme for the rifle as well! Big Smile

Fixed 7 power is not so good for running game at close range, but would be just the ticket in the stand. 

Again, 19 oz is too heavy.

Their 1.5-6 is a good choice for magnification and is lower in weight, but no illumination yet weighs more than the same magnification illuminated Burris (no lightweight at 17 oz).

They make a nice illuminated 1-4 that suffers the same issue that others have: 4 power is good for aiming, but may not be enough to look at the antlers on a reh deer (Roebuck in other countries).  When you have antlered vs antlerless season, and the antlers may only be 3" long, magnification helps.  You may not have time to flick back and forth between binos and the scope.  6x is better in that regard.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 09:16
How about this one.  http://swfa.com/Zeiss-15-6x42-Victory-Varipoint-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P12851.aspx

Edited by supertool73 - September/02/2009 at 09:24

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 09:23

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 09:28
I had the Burris Eurodiamond 1.5-6x40, ill ret failed on me twice
had a bunch of different ill ret scopes and have settled on the Accupoint 1-4x30 with the green dot german #4 for my 6.8 SPC AR
it's primary role is hog hunting and at night too

in Texas we can use lights for hogs so it's no problem for 100 yard shots at night

will be really testing it this weekend!

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mannheim Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 13:45
How did the Burris Eurodiamond fail you?

I think the Trijicon is a good one if I use the rifle for driven game or I have time so glass with binoculars first.  4x is kinda at the lower limit for game identification.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 22:09
Originally posted by Mannheim Bob Mannheim Bob wrote:

I do like the Trijicon.

The Burris 30mm 1.5-6x42 has been at or near the top of my list for a while now.  The only drawback is that it weighs 17 oz.

I suppose I can tell myself the extra weight will help with the recoil Big Grin.

I do like the idea of the Trijicon.  Maybe I'll try the 1-4 and see how it works.  if it is not enough magnification I can always move it to the .416 Rigby when I get it.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Please keep them coming!

I guess I don't understand your objection to the Trijicon Accupoint 3-9X40.  It has 3.2 - 3.6" eye relief, which should be plenty, since unless you have magnification turned all the way up to 9X, you're getting around 3.5".  On paper, it has a little more eye relief than the 1-4X24.

I just don't see a better option in a fairly lightweight illuminated scope with reasonably high magnification.  Even the Burris Sig 1.5-6X40 Electro Dot is about 2 oz heavier than the 3-9X Accupoint.
Ted

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 08:40
here's another option:

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-15-6x42-Victory-Varipoint-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P12851.aspx

I would LOVE to see one of these in person and test it out at night
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mannheim Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 10:48
I would love one too, but $2199 is a bit too much (3-4x) for my budget.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mannheim Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 10:49
As stated, my objection would be the 3x power on the low end.  Running pigs demand a 1.5 power lower end.  Other than that its great.  If they make a 6x magnification range scope from 1.5-9x then I would be right on. 

Thanks for the suggestions.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 11:08
I am thinking the ill Leupold 1.5-5x is going to be your best choice.  We know they are tuff, and it is very close to the power range you want and it is barely over your weight requirement.  http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-5x20-VX-3-30mm-Riflescope-P12637.aspx

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mannheim Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 05:30
Will their custom shop customize a reticle for the illuminated one?  When I select a scope in the custom shop, the VX3 1.5-5 is there, but no mention of the illuminated model.  It would be nice to zero at 100m (normal hunting range here in Germany) and then have a 200m and a 300m holdover line for the 286 grain SP at 2400 fps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic