OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Glass vs. objective size

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glass vs. objective size
    Posted: September/01/2009 at 15:50
What do ya'll think is more important in the same price range slightly better glass or a bigger objective for low light uses?  In particular I'm looking at a bushnell 4200 2.5-10x50 or for the same money zeiss conquest 3-9x40.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2009 at 22:40
I think it would come down to the reticle on those two. If we were talking the illuminated #4 on the Bushnell I like that one but if  you were talking the z600 reticle on the zeiss that will get you on target at more than just one distance and would be preferable.  I would rather have a 2.5 than a 3 on the low end but I dont think the difference between 9 & 10 makes much difference.  What I'm really thinking though is if you are in that price range why not spend a little more and get the 3-9x42 Super Sniper with FFP and 1/10 mil clicks on tactical knobs but then I prefer to dial in correction.  Actually the Bushnell that I really like the best is the 4200 4-16x40 and I'm willing to give up one on the low end to pick up 7 more power on the high end.  While you may not need it hunting it is great on the range and can allow you a closer look at the rack on a specific animal plus the knobs are finger adjustable so you can dial in correction.
Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope Multi-X Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 424164SF
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Side Focus
$499.95 
Add Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope to Cart 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2009 at 22:44
Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope Rapid Z 600 Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - 5214609971
  • Matte
  • Rapid Z 600
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
  • $75 Mail-In Rebate
$574.95 
Add Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope to Cart 
This would be a really good choice though.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 09:36
Assuming both scopes are fairly equal in glass quality, the scope with the bigger objective will allow you to utilize a higher power setting with the same exit pupil size. In other words, if your eyes can dilate all the way to 7mm, you could set the scope with the 50mm objective to 7X while the scope with the 40mm could only be set to a little under 6X to get the max. exit pupil for low light. In short, if you have two scopes that are close in glass quality (and the Conquest and 4200 are), the scope that allows you to use a higher magnification setting will be better in low light. Lastly, and perhaps just as important, is to select a bold reticle for low light performance. The heavier the better.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 11:18
I typically prefer to get the best glass possible (in the range that I am willing to spend for the intended application).   Big Grin
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 12:08
I must agree with Roy F.  As close in quality as the glass is on the two scopes you mention is, if your gonna hunt in low light you will be better served by the Bushy.  Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either scope.  It all comes down to what YOU prefer.  I have a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 with the Geman #4 reticle and I am very pleased with it.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 12:15
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

...but then I prefer to dial in correction.

I never really looked at it before, but this prompted me to see how far out beyond my (260 yd) zero I could actually use just holdovers with my mil-dot reticle. According to JBM, out to 730 (470 yds). Even though that's out beyond where I even target shoot, I'd prefer the precision of dialing in come-ups and have to consult a dope chart or ballistics calculator anyway. I'd put less emphasis on reticles (other than to select one that works for your eye) and get something with target knobs. Even if you only use them at the range, I've found it adds more interest to shooting and that translates into wanting to shoot more.
Reaction time is a factor...
brav302 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 20:58
Thanks for all the info.  I don't really shoot too far.  I try to hold myself to less than 250 yrd shots so target knobs or hold over reticles aren't realy needed. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic