OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Eyepiece magnification ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eyepiece magnification ?
    Posted: August/31/2009 at 17:44
I need some help deciding which eyepiece will be better for my viewing. I have a Pentax PF-80 ED spotting scope, and I want to purchase a straight power eyepiece for it. I would like to see 6mm bullet holes, in the BLACK part of the paper target, at 500 yards. If I use the Pentax XW-10, my magnification will be 50X. If I use the Pentax XW-14, my magnification will be 36X. Which power would better suit my application? I realize that the mirage will be more visible with the XW-10, but would the sharpness be able to see through the mirage?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2009 at 17:46
No, not to mention your exit pupil would be less than 2 which would make the image look very dark.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 16:01
Before I spend $300 large for a Pentax XW 14 eyepiece, I am considering an Orion Highlight 12.5mm for about $57.  According to the reviews that I read, the Highlight Series are supposed to be quite impressive for the $. I do realize that my magnification will be somewhere around 42X. Does anyone have any comments on the Orion Highlight eyepieces?
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 16:19
Blackbird, seeing 6mm holes @500 is a tough act for any spotter, since often times atmospheric conditions can dictate what can be seen.  I can assure you my Nikon Fieldscope 82 ED can do that @ 75x (with the 25-75x zoom), but under ideal conditions only, and fairly rarely.
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 19:05
I can see 6 mm holes in the white, at 500 yards with my Pentax PF-80ED, most of the time. Although my 20-60X Zoom eyepiece is never on 60X to see the holes. Its on more like 40X. I can see much clearer with the zoom turned down below 60X. I was just hoping that with a straight power eyepiece, I might gain some better resolution, and clarity.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 09:20
When I try a fixed in my Nikon 82Ed, I gain field of view, not contrast or clarity as my zoom is excellent in those areas.  Bullet holes in the white are one thing, in the black are another (for me anyway)!  Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic