OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski 8x56 SLC?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 01Foreamn400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski 8x56 SLC?
    Posted: August/31/2009 at 07:16
I've never held or looked through a Swarovski 8x56 SLC binocluar.  If you havd please tell me about it.  They would be used for hunting out of a box stand over looking a power line or food plot so size isn't an issue.

Thanks
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2009 at 17:52
I don't have much experience with that particular model, but SLCs as a rule are pretty darn great.  I know that some night coyote hunters use the 56 mm models due to their outstanding exit pupil.

-Matt
NV Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NV Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2009 at 00:41
The 8x56 is "the" binocular in Europe for low light and night time hunting.  With an exit pupil of 7mm, it give the eye all the light it can use.  My 8x56 Leica Geovids give great low light performance along with a fantastic laser rangefinder!  The best of both worlds! NV Hunter
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 23:44
I realize they 8x56s have an exit pupil that meets or exceed the maximum for most people (back when they were in their early 20s). However, I have to wonder if the 7x42s wouldn't be better in many respects. They still have an exit pupil of 6, which is pretty good, yet weigh 10 oz less, are 2" shorter and have an FOV of 420 vs. 345. Also, depth of field should be a little bit better with the lower magnification. In this price range, it's almost silly to point out that they're $370 less, but what the hey.
Reaction time is a factor...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic