OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles eye relief SHORTER at lower power???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bennycamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles eye relief SHORTER at lower power???
    Posted: August/30/2009 at 13:49
Hello All,
I just received a Kahles CL 3-9x42 w/ 4a reticle that I got for an exceptional price.  It is advertised as having a fixed eye relief of 3.6" which should be fine for mounting on my 270wby, but I noticed something curious about it.

The eye relief is indeed constant from 4-9x but actually gets SHORTER when down at 3x.  Is this normal in some scopes, maybe a european thing to widen the field of view?  It really doesn't bother me, just want to be sure it's not defective.  Have an e-mail in to kahles to see what they say, but hoped to get your thoughts.

Thanks,

benny
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2009 at 19:08
I think you will be OK.  If you bought it from SWFA call and talk to Brady or CFII and ask them they deall with this all the time.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2009 at 05:44
After looking at my CLs, yes it does appear to be either a shorter eye relief at the lowest power or a bit longer at higher.  I didn't measure it, but you can grab a ruler and lay the scope on it then measure it to see if it is indeed shorter at low power or longer at higher.  Let us know what you find...
bennycamp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bennycamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2009 at 07:30
hello, and thanks for the replys.  i haven't heard from kahles yet, but i thinks i may know what the issue is.  i measure the eye relief using the ruler / flashlight method, and the eye relief is constant throughout the range.  so, i am thinking that the intrusion of the dark ring around the outside of the view when dropping from 4 to 3x is vignetting.  my understanding id that this effects some optics at their lowest end of magnification when the fov is widened , notably some spotting scopes.  doesn't really bother me as the scope will be between 4-7x 99% of the time, and i don't think i could have done better for $600.
SSgtSmitty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2009 at 12:43
I just got a Kahles CL 3-9x42 w/ plex reticle from SWFA for $549.  They are a great scope for the money.  I have not noticed what your talking about, the shorter eye relief. 
SSgtSmitty
bennycamp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bennycamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2009 at 14:08

I didn't notice at first either because I started at 3 and went up   But when I position my head for maximum eye relief at 4 and above, then turn the power down to 3, the black creeps in from the edges and I have to move my head forward to get the full field of view.  I talked to the kahles usa rep and he said he had a call in to austria as this didn't sound right to him.  unfortunately, there are no 3-9x42's on the sample list so i ended up buying elsewhere, but i talked to the manager where i purchased and they are fine with trading the scope out for another if i want to.

bennycamp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bennycamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2009 at 16:02
Hey, is the tunnel effect you guys talk about involved, maybe?  Does that have sharp edges as it occurs at low power, or fuzzy until you move your head forward to get the view?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic