OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Flinching Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2009 at 22:54
Julio, What I'm about to write may sound crazy but I can attest to this personally.  I use 33Db roll up plugs as a base.  A ball cap ( never shoot without head covering ) it helps deaden the muzzle blast on your head, your whole face and nasal cavities transmit vibrations to your brain as it is so you don't need the whole top of your head exposed to it too.  Then wear a good pair of slimline muffs of at least 26Db reduction capability. This should help out your flinching from the muzzle blast of your rifle or the one on the next bench.  

Hope that helps.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2009 at 00:33

I will be looking at another smaller caliber rifle after the first of the year...243 like Ed mentioned, 25-06 or 7-08. Im looking to shoot any and all these calibers before I buy another rifle though. I was told when I bought the 270wsm it had a little less recoil than a standard 270 which is what I was used to. Its my own fault for believing him and not looking further into it...Plus pride plays a big part in letting go of things you used to be able to do but cannot any longer... Its all one day at a time..

Ive been using all the ear protection I can ever since I started shooting again like what was suggested. I had not considered a ball cap but that does make sense, Thanks Steelbenz, I will try the slimline brand as the ones I have are not what I would call slim line at all. Im not familiar with snap caps but I will look into using some........ I have talked with the Dr's and you are right Ron, 2 out of 3 are not shooters but they all gave me the ok. I still do not trust there opinions entirely though, thats why I want to go to a smaller caliber of rifle. At least for a while and see how it goes.  Last week I did pretty well shooting, then this week it changed and Im not sure why the flinch got that much worse.... Its funny though mentioning the Lead Sled as I did buy one today, I may take it back though and get the newer stronger model as its supposed to be more accurate according to what I read online......It sounds like I will have plenty to keep me busy..Thanks for all the info guys!Smile
JF........
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2009 at 06:17
Julio when all else fails to cure your flinching problems try the following;

Take a picture of your mother-in-law early in the morning after she has just gotten up.
If she is unavailable you can use your wife for the picture instead, as she eventually turns into her mother anyway.

Just keep the picture in your top pocket.  Pull it out several times a day and stare at it intensely!  When you can do that without flinching and shuddering you'll be cured for life!

ps   Is also a great dietary aid for weightloss!  Bucky
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2009 at 09:31
Originally posted by JF4545 JF4545 wrote:

I will be looking at another smaller caliber rifle after the first of the year...243 like Ed mentioned, 25-06 or 7-08. Im looking to shoot any and all these calibers before I buy another rifle though. I was told when I bought the 270wsm it had a little less recoil than a standard 270 which is what I was used to. Its my own fault for believing him and not looking further into it...Plus pride plays a big part in letting go of things you used to be able to do but cannot any longer... Its all one day at a time..

Ive been using all the ear protection I can ever since I started shooting again like what was suggested. I had not considered a ball cap but that does make sense, Thanks Steelbenz, I will try the slimline brand as the ones I have are not what I would call slim line at all. Im not familiar with snap caps but I will look into using some........ I have talked with the Dr's and you are right Ron, 2 out of 3 are not shooters but they all gave me the ok. I still do not trust there opinions entirely though, thats why I want to go to a smaller caliber of rifle. At least for a while and see how it goes.  Last week I did pretty well shooting, then this week it changed and Im not sure why the flinch got that much worse.... Its funny though mentioning the Lead Sled as I did buy one today, I may take it back though and get the newer stronger model as its supposed to be more accurate according to what I read online......It sounds like I will have plenty to keep me busy..Thanks for all the info guys!Smile
JF........
Julio,
 I love hunting with the .458's, but I hunted for quite some time with a Browning BAR .243.  I did have one deer go about 7 yards before hitting the ground, once.  One of my daughters had one go about 10 yards.  Shot placement and understanding effective range will eliminate any potential for "under power".   .243 is a fantastic round for deer hunting and elk.  I had a friend in Kalifornia who went elk hunting every year and he had never fired anything BUT a .243.  His dad got him one to start hunting and he never saw the need for anything else.  I think it is pretty darned "manly" to have enough confidence in your shooting that you know you don't need a big bore to hunt with. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2009 at 09:50
I say buy yourself a rifle in .223 and beat your flinch with that.  It will still give you the muzzle blast of a centerfire rifle which is important and you cannot get that with a .22.  Not much recoil but enough to let you know the gun has went off. 

I have been fighting a flinch for years as well from getting hurt with a gun when I was a kid.  To beat it I had to sit and tell myself over and over as i built pressure on the trigger (press, press, press, press, press, press) just slowly letting it build up until it breaks.  That way you are consiously concentrating on your trigger press itself and have taken your focus off the recoil.  Eventually (for me at least) the slow building of pressure has become second nature and my flinch is virtually gone.  It still creeps in once and a while, but if it does I just slow down and once again tell myself press, press, press, press, until it breaks.

Once you have got a handle on your flinch I would get a .260 and call it a day.  It will allow you to shoot a 40 grain heavier bullet than the .243 (140 vs. 100) which will help a lot with the elk.  While still being very mild in the recoil department.  Although I am also a believer in the .243 being elk capable as I have done it myself several times as has my dad.  But the 260 would be much better. 

Nothing is wrong with shooting a mild recoil gun.  Some people are just not built like Kickboxer and able to handle the recoil.  I can deal with it to an extent, but would much prefer to shoot short action calibers of mild recoil.  They accomplish everything I need power wise and are a joy to shoot.   

Edited by supertool73 - August/31/2009 at 09:51
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Terry Lamb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 14:20
Geez Ed....lesseee what was the question again? I'm old, ugly, but after admiring Ed's sister felt an overwhelming desire to go shave and brush my teeth, and that's something up here in North Idaho.
Terry Lamb
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic