OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Good but not great

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spoony7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good but not great
    Posted: August/29/2009 at 17:50
Hey everybody. I borrowed my buddies cabelas big sky 65 ed spotter and I wasnt really impressed. On my first ever opener for archery season and the first time using a spotting scope I glassed 3 bucks at a mile away. After making a 3/4 mile stalk I bumped them at 30yds. They were hold up in a mean draingage. Cabelas has a new Euro spotter that looks like the meopta 75 spotter. Does anyone have an opinion on the meopta scope?
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2009 at 17:55
It is a rebadged Meopta spotter. If they would come out with an angled version then I would already have one in my possession. There was a recent scope review in one of the british mags. which included the newest Zeiss, Swaro, Leica, Nikon, Kowa and Meopta. The Meopta held its own quite well.

If I might offer another suggestion? Take a look at the Celestron F-ED line of spotters. I did and I wrote a bit of a review of them up on several of the forums including this one. Check lower down on the page. These are very impressive scopes at any price. The fact that they cost between $425 and $600 makes them a bargain.

Just thought I would mention it.

Edited by FrankD - August/29/2009 at 17:57
Frank
spoony7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spoony7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2009 at 18:14
Thanks Frank. I noticed the Kowa tsn 664 is a class 7 jis and the pentex pf ed's are only class 6 jis waterproof. I dont think the pentax are in the same league as the others I mentioned. Im narrowing it down to leupold gold ring 60m hd, kowa tsn 664, zeiss diascope 65m, and I'll give the celestron a look. I also would like one that has a rubberized eye cup for viewing.
spoony7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spoony7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2009 at 18:25
Just read Franks article. Very informative and included good info on the pentax pf ed scopes. So now Im just wandering if there is a significant jump up in quality between the pentax and the kowa and or meopta spotters.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2009 at 21:00
spoony, I don't think the Leupy gold ring is in the same league as the Kowa 664, or the Zeiss 65 for that matter.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic