OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40
    Posted: August/28/2009 at 13:38
I  recieved my new scope from SWFA a while back and would like to share my take on it. It looks really sharp and clear even in low light, but I am 61 years old so my eyes aren't what they used to be. The scope just looks and feels quality with all the features I really like such as the lock-able eyepiece. Lots of people suggested not to get the A.O. feature, but it works for my eyes in the upper power. When set on 150 yards it is clear at the higher powers, but not as good as when you set the A.O. to the very best position. It really clears up the image for me! The previous 3-12 power scope I had was a dud on higher power and useless for me without the ability to adjust it in. My next move will be to send it in for the CDS system to be installed if I hear good reviews from others. I have had various Leupolds for many years,  still have several, and this seems to be the very best example so far. Maybe a Ziess Conquest will be next, but not to replace this one. To sum up my feelings on this scope; It's just what I wanted if it just had a little bigger field of view at the lower power. I figured it should have as much as my 3.5-10 at 5 power, but it does not. One has to wonder why?
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 23:46
Thanks, Sandracer, I have been thinking of getting a scope that goes over 10 power and that one is at the top of the list. How much bigger f.o.v. would be enough? What scope was the 3-12 you did not like?        
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2009 at 08:46
Originally posted by boliodogs boliodogs wrote:

Thanks, Sandracer, I have been thinking of getting a scope that goes over 10 power and that one is at the top of the list. How much bigger f.o.v. would be enough? What scope was the 3-12 you did not like?        

I would not get one over 10 power for normal big game hunting if it was me! I got rid of a 4-12 VX-II because of the same lack of F.O.V. at lower power. The FOV of the 4.5-14 is less than 20 feet at 100 yds, so to me it does'nt make for a hunt in the brush. It's going on my 22-250 until I can get used to it or I make up my mind to leave it as a varmint scope. If your hunting is mostly long range, then it would be a good choice. On the same note, my brother -in-law uses the 6.5-20 VX-III on his 300 Wby and loves it. His hunting style is the canyon spotting routine. (I think he must watch Best of the West too mutch!) I will PM you if you really want the name of the old scope 3-12, but I don't want to bad mouth a product that may suit somebody else's needs. If I took off my glasses it was clear, but when adjusted on the eyepice for a clear reticle the parallax was way off and it was not clear on anything past 10 power.

I had the 3-12 on for an elk hunt last year and left it on 6 the whole hunt. The last day of the hunt it was pouring rain and without rainguard I missed a chance for a great bull! My 3-9x40 4200 is going with me this elk season as the rifle is sighted in to the point where I hate to touch it! By the way I think my Leupolds will all get the rain lens in my back pack at least.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2009 at 11:42

I really like my new VX-3 4.5x14 with CDS, mine is a 30mm. I will be ordering the dial soon. I shot a 3 shot  1" group with it last weekend , I will shoot it some more tomorrow to get it right on at 200...I bought this scope for my 270wsm and its a great combo for what Im going to be using it for which is hunting wheat fields, alfalfa fields and  perhaps some canyon stuff. Its what its for, but Im with you Sandracer the FOV is the only thing Im unhappy about.....Im putting my Swaro 3x10x42 on my 7mm Bar Rifle today and  it will be my beat the brush shoot anything anywhere rifle/scope.. It will be quite a combo but for long range I can almost bet it will not match the 270wsm/VX-3 4.5x14x40 CDS. And yes the Custom Dial System is basically what the guys use on best of the West, even though Ive never watched it, Ive read about it.

boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2009 at 16:00
I know this is getting off the original topic but you own the 4200 3-9x40 and the Leupold 3.5-10x40. Can you compare these two fine scopes ?
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2009 at 19:05
Originally posted by boliodogs boliodogs wrote:

I know this is getting off the original topic but you own the 4200 3-9x40 and the Leupold 3.5-10x40. Can you compare these two fine scopes ?

Both of these are fine scopes and very close in my eyes. Rainguard on the 4200 and lockable eyepiece on the Leo. 4200 is cheaper, leo has more reticle options and the ability for B&C and CDS. I don't even pretend to know which is really the better glass, but I know either or both work for me! Both feel like a quality item, unlike some of the others I made the misforune of buying! I have both and can't complain on either for what I want in a scope.
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2009 at 22:43
Sandracer, thanks for the good information.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic