OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Looking for a low power scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compostellas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a low power scope
    Posted: August/27/2009 at 15:10
I'm looking for a low-power scope and must keep the price under $250 (hopefully under $200). My current list includes the following:

*Swift 1.5-4.5x32 Premier Rifle Scope
http://swfa.com/Swift-15-45x32-Premier-Rifle-Scope-P7273.aspx

*Nikko Stirling 1-4x24 Diamond 30mm Riflescope
http://swfa.com/Nikko-Stirling-1-4x24-Diamond-30mm-Riflescope-P12044.aspx

*Vortex 1.75-5x32 Diamondback Rifle Scope
http://swfa.com/Vortex-175-5x32-Diamondback-Rifle-Scope-P11234.aspx

Does anyone have any experience with these scopes or would you suggest I look at others?
Thanks!

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2009 at 19:53
Here is a review of the Diamondback.  Not Familiar with the others, but the Vortex is a nice scope.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11637
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2009 at 21:21
I have faith in swift and vortex.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
sniperafar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniperafar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2009 at 22:11
The Swift is the class act amongst these scopes.
Panzer divisions
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2009 at 22:30
I love the Leupold vxll in 2-7x32 or 1-4x20. You should be able to get one new for $250 if you do some serious shopping. These are high quality scopes and very reliable. They are light as feathers and tough as nails. They have good eye relief, good optics and shoot to the same place at all power settings. The 2-7 has a field of view of 42.5 feet at 100 yards at low power and the 1-4 has a huge 75 foot field at low power and goes up to 4.2 power for longer shots.
LoadedRound View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoadedRound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 06:49
You can't forget the Weaver V3  1-3.
Amazing scope for the money.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 07:53
You can find the old style (the one with the fast focus eyepeice) Nikon Monarch 2x7x32 New for under $200.  If you know where to look.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 10:16
Keeping the price closer to $250 you can get the Vortex Viper instead of Diamondback....I like these two: 2-7x32 with Dead-Hold BDC and the one with Versa-Plex C3.

$259.95 after the $50 mail-in rebate that comes with all Vipers.

The Diamondback you listed will have better field of view and be a slightly more compact, but I've seen a lot of people really happy with their Viper.

What gun are you going to use the scope on?  If it is a short range gun, 250 yards or less, I would go after the Viper Versa-Plex C3 scope first. 

I think the Weaver V3 1x30 that LoadedRound mentioned is unanimously considered an awesome bargain if you decide $250 is really too much.  If you don't like the plex reticle the Swift you mentioned for $169 looks pretty good.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 10:28
http://swfa.com/Weaver-2-10x38-Classic-V-Rifle-Scope-P40147.aspx

This one seems like one of the most versatile scopes around for $199.  It's a 2-10 that is roughly the same size as most of the 1.5-4.5 or 1.75-5/6 scopes out there...only 11 ounces.

If I wanted to use a light-weight rifle, didn't want to mess up it's slim, trim, great packability quality....was planning to shoot out to 600 yards, hunt up close, and do it all for as cheap as possible I would get this scope.
compostellas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compostellas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 10:54
Thanks for all the helpful feedback! Big Smile

I am planning on mounting the scope on a 308. I believe all the scopes mentioned will handle the recoil, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Right now it looks like the Swift, Viper, and Weaver are in the running...
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 11:06
I think all of these low-powered variables are used on rifles with much stronger recoil than 308 on a regular basis.

Forgot about this one too http://swfa.com/Nikon-1-4x20-Monarch-African-Riflescope-P42349.aspx  

I've seen a few people say they like it a lot even though it's slightly above your budget...if you like the #4 reticle, it looks nice and has a giant field of view.

Is the 308 a semi-auto, bolt-action, pump-action, etc.?  I think short straight tubes look awesome on certain rifles.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 12:02
I used ot have two of those Weaver V10's.  They were decent little scopes.  Looked good too on a compact rifle.  Found I didn't really need the 10x and swapped to a the 2x7x32 Monarch and a Zeiss 2.5x8x32.  I've though about trying the Vortex's myself, just haven't yet.  If you get one let us know how it does.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 17:24
I own a Monarch African and it is a beauty. It has a full 4 inches of eye relief at all power settings. The power spread is 4 rather than the more common 3. This means that 1 power is a true 1 power and 4 power is a true 4 power. The Weaver v3 is really a 1.1-2.8 power. At 1.1 the v3 has a listed field of view of 88 feet at 100 yards which is huge. The African at 1 power has a field of view of 92.9 feet at 100 yards. I also own a Monarch 2-8x32 that has a field of view of 46 feet at 2 power. These Monarchs seem like great scopes. The only reason I did not recommend them is others on this forum do not trust them. I have never used Monarchs but I have used Leupolds all my life. I paid $260 for each of these Monarchs with free shipping from a dealer. The African weighs 12 ounces and the 2-8 weighs 13.4 ounces.             
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 18:04
I forgot to tell you how much I like the number 4 reticle of the African.To me it is perfect. The posts are very thick but just before they meet in the center they are thin for precision shooting.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compostellas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 09:59
Thanks to everyone for the input! I decided to go with a Bushnell Trophy 1-4x24 (731424M).

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 10:20
Hope you enjoy it and tell us how you like it.  It's on my list for shotgun scopes/red dots.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compostellas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 10:28
I'll take some photos when it arrives if my camera cooperates.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic