OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver Grand Slams arrived today.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver Grand Slams arrived today.
    Posted: August/26/2009 at 20:35
I ordered two Weaver Grand Slams based on the advice I got from members of this forum and they got here today. The G.S. scopes I got were the 1.5-5x32 and the 3-10x40. I do not know much about scopes so this is more of a description of the scopes than a real review. I like looking through both scopes and they seem bright and clear. The eye relief is ok on both scopes with the 1.5-5 having a little more than the the 3-10. The 3-10 has more eye relief at 3 than it does at 10. Both scopes weighed a little less than specs with the 3-10 weighing 12.5 ounces and the 1.5-5 weighing 11.2 ounces. I had heard that the power change ring was huge but is really not very big and it is easy to use. I think the 10 power on the 3-10 is a true 10. my guess is the 5 power on the 1.5-5 is more like 4.5. The listed 70 foot field at 1.5 is probably closer to 60 feet but that is still a big f.o.v. . The 3-10 is just over 12 inches long.The power change ring on these scopes is just over 1.5 inches wide. The 1.5-5 is only 10.5 inches long. I like these scopes so far. I hope this helps anyone thinking about a Grandslam and unable to see one upclose. The reticle is simular to the Leupold standard duplex.                     
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2009 at 10:21
How do you feel they compare to some of the other scopes you have right now?  
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2009 at 20:35
The GS scopes seem to me to be quality scopes, and looking through them everything seems bright and clear. I am not a scope expert like some on this  forum but I can not tell any real difference looking through any of these  high quality scopes. The Leupold vxll, vxlll, vx3, the Zeiss Conquest and the 3200 and 4200 all seem very sharp and clear and so do these Grand Slams. I did some more tests. I think my scale is weighing these scopes about .5 ounces light. The G.S. scopes are light weight for the power range and they have a large power spread that I like. After more tests I think the 1.5-5 really is a true 5 on top since things are a little bigger than the Leupold 1.5-5 which is really 4.5. Also I think the field of view really is  71 feet at 1.5 because the field is larger than the Leupold 1.5-5 which is 68 feet. I like the little extra power of 5 power over 4.5 for shooting 100 yard groups at the range or shots at game over 250 yards. It is a small difference but I still like it. The 3-10 G.S. really does go up to 10 instead of stopping at 9. This is another small plus I like. The Burris S.S. 1.75-5 makes things a little bigger at 5 than the G.S. 1.5-5 so I am calling the Burris a 5.4 on the top end .                                                                             
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2009 at 21:19

The weaver g.s scopes are pretty decent, both optically and price wise.  I got great service out of the two I owned and wish i had kept the fixed power 4.75x32,

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic