OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Climbing stands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 09:30
Just out of curiosity, Jeff, why would you rather have a climber than a hang on stand?  Besides being less flexible, climbers aren't as safe as hang on stands.  Climbers rely on your weight to cantilever the stand against the tree and bite against the trunk to stay put.  Most of the time, it works fine, but they can slip if you aren't careful.  A buddy of mine had one slip on the tree, and he was lucky he wasn't seriously injured.  Hang on stands are as easy to transport as climbers, and if you get relatively compact climbing steps, you can strap them to the stand on your back and not carry much more weight than you would with a climber.  You can work around limbs and adapt to trees that aren't straight with hang on stands.  If you find that perfect spot to hunt and the perfect tree is crooked and/or has too many low limbs, you're out of luck with a climber.  Not necessarily so with a hanger.  It is because of these facts that fewer manufacturers are even offering climbing stands anymore -- too many disadvantages and too much liability. 

Educate me -- what am I missing?  Other than maybe being faster to setup, what advantages do climbers offer over hangers nowadays?

A buddy of mine has that South Texas tripod you are referring to.  I've hunted out of it a lot.  It is a nice tripod for a bowhunter, because it folds up and is easy to transport.  On the downside, I don't care for the foot rest they use.  Unless they've changed the design, it is a small diameter ring made out of welded rebar that doesn't offer a very substantial place to rest your feet.  The small diameter also makes it a little trickier to climb into the seat.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 09:47
You can't do this with a climber, unless you bring a saw with you and saw off the limbs as you ascend the tree.  The steps pictured can be stacked and strapped together into a very compact package during transport...

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 09:59
I've been bowhunting for 35 years; made my own climbing stand for the first one because there weren't many around.  I used an Ol Man for a long time after that.  I had too many close calls in climbers and switched to hang ons.  This is the most comfortable one I've found:
Comfort is the priority as far as I'm concerned, far above portability.  A lot of hangers are miserable to sit in, and if you're not comfortable you won't be still; or you'll get down, and if you're not there.....
I always kept a strap around the tree and hooked my harness in after I got up.  After having a stick ladder fail this year and drop me 10 feet I'll be tied to the tree at all times this year (if I'm able to draw my bow).  I'll also not be 25 feet up like I used to be,either.  I'm switching to mostly ladders.  This one is the best I've found, but not at all portable.

No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
TexasPhotog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasPhotog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 10:36
+10 on mwyates comments about wearing a harness and safety strap.  I've mostly switched to heavy duty ladder type stands that strap to the tree and I use the two person versions as they're more comfortable than the one person versions.  The wider ones give you more room to store your thermos, lunch, thermacell, ect..  I'm putting mine up this weekend and cutting some shooting lanes too.  Good luck!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 10:47
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

This is the most comfortable one I've found:
Comfort is the priority as far as I'm concerned, far above portability.  A lot of hangers are miserable to sit in, and if you're not comfortable you won't be still; or you'll get down, and if you're not there.....

Very true, which is why I use hangers with large platforms and large seats.  I also frequently strap an additional folding cushion with built-in backrest onto the seat for additional comfort.

I've never tried any Millennium products.  I like the seat design of the stand you link above!
Ted

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 10:51
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

You can't do this with a climber, unless you bring a saw with you and saw off the limbs as you ascend the tree.  The steps pictured can be stacked and strapped together into a very compact package during transport...

As well as the RifleDude, he IS the TreeStandDude...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 10:53
Originally posted by TexasPhotog TexasPhotog wrote:

+10 on mwyates comments about wearing a harness and safety strap.  I've mostly switched to heavy duty ladder type stands that strap to the tree and I use the two person versions as they're more comfortable than the one person versions.  The wider ones give you more room to store your thermos, lunch, thermacell, ect..  I'm putting mine up this weekend and cutting some shooting lanes too.  Good luck!

I mostly use ladder stands too.  The only time I use hang on stands is when I'm hunting public land or some other situation where the stand placement is temporary.  When I'm hunting on family land or leased land where I have exclusive hunting rights, I only use ladders, tripods, and permanent blinds.
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 10:56
KB, the picture above is not my stand, though I have those particular tree steps.  It is an example I found off the Summit treestand site to show the advantages of hanging stands and strap on tree steps.
Ted

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 11:07
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

KB, the picture above is not my stand, though I have those particular tree steps.  It is an example I found off the Summit treestand site to show the advantages of hanging stands and strap on tree steps.
It is a good recommendation, though.  I stalk a lot, when not on my land, and have run into situations where I needed a stand and/or my Ol' Man climber was inadequate to the task.  I have a pole climber's rig that I use sometimes, but it has the same limits as a climbing stand... limbs.  That setup looks like it can go just about anywhere... my kind of stand, if I have to have one.  I don't like sitting, I like moving.  But, I can certainly see the advantages to a good stand.  I do not have a lot of acreage, 55, and that makes stalking difficult.  With the layout of my property, I usually have to be still for a while for deer not to key on every move.  Since I have not joined a hunting club in the last couple of years due to heavy travel, stands have become more important to me.  

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 11:37
Lots of good real experience imput. The climbers are good if you find yourself often in rushed setups. I used one I built very often when hunting with a club that ran dogs. Once the stand numbers were drawn you had to hustle to your spot to beat the dogs being dumped. The climber and a limb saw got me off the ground fast and gave me a decided advantage over standing on a stump of down fall. Plus it gave me peace of mind that I wouldn't be shot by some one that wondered off their stand. With a climber it pays to be extra picky about the tree you climb. If you stick with oak and pine you aren't likely to take a fast ride to the ground. For less rushed hunts the tree lounge is hard to beat. I had the old style and it was big and on the heavy side. The new version appears to be alittle better. The lounge with the bow adapter is a great over all stand. It is as safe a stand as you will find, but there is a down side. If you are the least bit tired, you will probably go to sleep in it. And that is safe too, you just risk missing the deer action. I still have my climber for when I hunt game lands and will be moving around or in and out in a day. For stands that I go to often I try to find a tree that offers a good limb to stand on and have been very successful hunting that way. I use screw in steps or a stick ladder depending on the tree. If a good sized holly tree is in the right spot just clearing out some limbs is usually all that is needed. That is the perfect stand. Green yr. round, plenty of strong limbs for climbing and usually a couple at the right height for standing and sitting. I have a good lock on by Basic Innovations the "Chippewa Cheif" that I am using alot lately. It has a chain/cable set that goes around the tree and you can take your stand in and out or leave it depending on if you have to worry about theives. I have never paid that much for a stand before, but I have no regrets. It has a padded swivel seat that folds up and has plenty of foot area. Plus I have found that I can modify most of my other lock on stands to use the same chain/cable set and they are what I plan to use on club land now.
So per your question all types have their nitch. The tripod is geat for areas with small or no trees. That is one I don't have, but wish I did.
The climbers are best for temperary hunts that you can't afford to leave stuff in the woods. The lock ons are good for that too, if you have time to set up and are will to carry the extra gear. They are great for perminant stands or those like the Basic Innovations that can come and go with you yet leave the steps and anchor on the tree. The stand on the limb or holly tree I like the best because somebody might use it but they won't steal it. Plus it is likely no one will ever discover it unless you do use steps. As mentioned before comfort is to be taken seriously because it will effect the hunt. Padded seats make a differance as does ability to move and shift weight quitely. That is why I give the tree lounge the best pick for a portable stand. It can be use like a lock on, but that is for a PM conversation. But deciding which one best fits your style of hunting is the first thing to consider. 
Look forward to hearing what you get. Good luck!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 13:23
I've used climbers for many moons. All I have ever used are Summit stands and they have been solid and without issue. Currently though, I'm in the process of selling my last one (based on Dr. recommendations). They will be replaced with tripods and ladder stands. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 15:18
Ted,

In truth, I was not distinguishing between climbers and bolt-on stands.

I don't own the land on which I am hunting, so cannot leave anything behind.  I need something "quick, easy, safe" that can travel with me to the field and back home with me.

I cannot take a large tree-stand (lean-against kind) but can easily put up a climber or bolt-on stand - or can take a relatively portable tripod stand.

Where I hunt, there will be trees and plenty of cover.  I need something easy to use and not tough to take down and put up elsewhere.

I have a pop-up, but prefer elevated stands.

I might do a climber, I might do the bolt-on version, not yet sure.

How often do climbers fail (the stands, not the idiots using them)?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 15:43
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

How often do climbers fail (the stands, not the idiots using them)?

Couldn't tell you, but probably not very often.  I do know it happens, and more often than with hang-on stands, because I've talked to enough people who have had it happen.  A buddy of mine had his slip and he rode it all the way to the ground.  Luckily he was only mildly hurt and not seriously injured.  The fact is, there aren't as many climbing stands made as hang-on stands anymore.  You need to be as far out away from the tree as possible on a climber so you get max loads exerted on the gripper teeth against the tree.  If you get too close to the trunk, the stand can lose its grip on the tree.  Tree diameter is also much more critical with a climber than with a hanger.  With a hanger, it doesn't matter where your weight it distributed, or, within reason, the diameter of the tree, because the stand is strapped to the tree, usually in two places.  You also don't have to sacrifice comfort with a hang-on style.  Just pick one with a large comfortable seat and use a padded back rest.

Either way, I do think it is a good idea to wear a safety harness, whichever style of stand you choose.
Ted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2009 at 12:23
looked at all the options, considered what variables I could, bought the combow hunter, will let you know what I think of it.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2009 at 13:17
Looks like a pretty neat one...

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2009 at 17:39
I have several ladder stands a couple of hang on and a couple of tripods.  No climbers they scare the hell out of me at close to 300 lbs.  A tripod really has to be tucked in between two evergreen trees to work well.  I like the two man ladder stands best but any ladder stand is safer than a hang on with step sticks.  The step sticks and hang on  will get you up higher if you need that but I'm perfectly happy not more than 15 ft up.  Of the ladder stands I like the ones with welded wire mesh across the  seat and foot area because fabric will rot over the years.  When hanging one a couple of motorcycle tie down are helpful and if you can find a small tree to tie the base of the ladder to and keep the whole thing from turning on you so much the better.  Pop up blinds for the most part suck because the wind makes them move. If using a pop up make sure you get the double bull blind it presses out on the walls to reduce movement.   If I had to carry something in and out each time I'd go with the most basic three section ladder stand.  A pole pruner  and some lopping shears makes a big difference.  For stand placement try to get at least one tree back from the edge of the clearing.  If you are up 15 ft they see you at distance better than they see you up close so dont think they wont knock you off at 600 yds if you dont have a tree for  partial cover in front of you.   If its for gun hunting not bow you could probably get by with one that was 12 ft  and I have one like that made of 1 inch material that I had a welder make for me with steps about 8 inches wide and prongs on the bottom that stick into the dirt about 4 inches up to the first cross bar  like this "H"   Have you seen these devices they have with wheels that  you can use to carry deer out - if built right it could double for a ladder stand with the long  part folding or  in sections.  If you had a welder make one out of aluminum it would last forever.  You could also have him weld supports on to attach an axle and wheels and make it dual purpose. Wheels to drag the ladder stand in with and wheels to carry the deer out. When its up in the tree you could have the wheels detached.   You could do the same by having a welder attach an axle to an existing welded ladder stand. 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - August/30/2009 at 18:02

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 20:51
Got the climber today, pretty cool.  I'll get it up a tree in suburbia soon and try to get some pics - if I survive my first-ever climber, that is.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 21:08
 Cool!
 Looking foward to your treetop report.

Take a cell phone with you in case you need to call the Fire Department to help you get back down!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic