OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

If you only had 1 chance to Elk hunt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If you only had 1 chance to Elk hunt
    Posted: August/26/2009 at 09:49
If you only could get one chance to Elk hunt where would you try to go. Just to get a Tag it would likely have to be a Private hunt. The chances of getting a Elk tag in Oklahoma is close to 1 in 5 million. A lot of the guided fenced hunts are more like picking a cow in a pasture. I would prefer to get the essence of a real hunt. Is this possible any more within a reasonable cost. Then another question is what is the reasonable cost for such a hunt. This would include the guide tip.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 16:49
If I only had one chance, I would either go to the Kaibab region in AZ or the Gila N.F. in NM.  Those areas produce more 350+ class bulls than any other region in the nation.  It's hard to get tags for those areas, though, part of the reason why the bulls get so big there.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 17:41
 Yep,northern NM.  What's the name of that indian reservation that outfits for elk?  BIG elk!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 17:49
Units 6a,8,&9 are good ones too hear in az. Non-resident tags and licences are pretty spendy though.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 18:43
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

Units 6a,8,&9 are good ones too hear in az. Non-resident tags and licences are pretty spendy though.

Out of state liscences are 151 dollars.  Out of state elk tag is 595 dollars.  Chance of getting drawn in 6A, which is a very good unit, is about 1 in 9 for bull.  Getting drawn for a cow tag is better than 50 percent.  I've gotten cow tags 3 years in a row.   If you apply and dont get drawn here in AZ you're only out a liscence fee, which is 151 dollars.  
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 19:06
Originally posted by ckk1106 ckk1106 wrote:

Out of state liscences are 151 dollars.  Out of state elk tag is 595 dollars.  Chance of getting drawn in 6A, which is a very good unit, is about 1 in 9 for bull.  Getting drawn for a cow tag is better than 50 percent.  I've gotten cow tags 3 years in a row.   If you apply and dont get drawn here in AZ you're only out a liscence fee, which is 151 dollars.  

So "they" keep the $151 dollars and give you a "license" that really isn't good for anything, since you didn't get a tag?    OOOOKAY...sounds like common theft to me.

I can sorta understand a ten or fifteen dollar fee to cover application costs, but that's insane.

I'd just buy an over-the counter cow tag in Colorado before I'd ever do that, anyday. Probably more elk and more places to hunt in Colorado anyway, though certainly not as many big bulls, if that's your goal. Personally, I really like having a cow tag in my pocket!

Course, I've got kids to feed, probably couldn't afford a shoulder mount, and don't have a single interior wall that's really big enough to display one, anyway!
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 19:10
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

So "they" keep the $151 dollars and give you a "license" that really isn't good for anything, since you didn't get a tag?    OOOOKAY...sounds like common theft to me.

I can sorta understand a ten or fifteen dollar fee to cover application costs, but that's insane.

I'd just buy an over-the counter cow tag in Colorado before I'd ever do that, anyday. Probably more elk and more places to hunt in Colorado anyway, though certainly not as many big bulls, if that's your goal. Personally, I really like having a cow tag in my pocket!

Course, I've got kids to feed, probably couldn't afford a shoulder mount, and don't have a single interior wall that's really big enough to display one, anyway!
That makes sense.  I was just trying to offer up the only elk hunting knowledge that I had.  
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 19:23
I'd go with Eastern Washington State for a big bull permit. when I live there did some hunting there and still go up camping , back packing. I've seen more big bulls in the 300 class than I have anywhere else.   
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 20:07
What about Canada?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 20:30
If I didn't live in az, Utah would be my next choice. But I live here, so I have never looked into that much either. But the pics of the famed Spider Bull are enough!  Oh, if you are going to hunt Colorado, bring oxygen! I don't think they have any in that state!Bucky

Edited by billyburl2 - August/26/2009 at 20:34
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 20:43

That makes sense.  I was just trying to offer up the only elk hunting knowledge that I had.  
  I wasn't knocking your offering of that information, Coby. I'm sure a lot of guys and gals have the change in the pocket and would consider the rather high risk of losing the 151 dollar license fee, (with nothing to show for it), well worth the chance to hunt Arizona's big bulls.
 I was pretty much just griping about a State agency that grabs honest money in such a blatant manner.
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 20:46

I wasn't knocking your offering of that information, Coby. I'm sure a lot of guys and gals have the change in the pocket and would consider the rather high risk of losing the 151 dollar license fee, (with nothing to show for it), well worth the chance to hunt Arizona's big bulls.
 I was pretty much just griping about a State agency that grabs honest money in such a blatant manner.
Understood.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 21:52
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Yep,northern NM.  What's the name of that indian reservation that outfits for elk?  BIG elk!

Jicarilla Apache Indian Reservation, near Chama.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 23:28

Price for a one time chance is not the biggest limiting factor. Respectable size will be ok. Not looking to be B&C record. Just need to get off my butt before time runs out. If I keep saying "One day.", it may never get done. So a plan needs to be set and organized. Now! Charma would be OK it is only 12 hr away. It might be better to have one of the guides get a tag if that would help get past the license issue if it bust out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2009 at 00:28
Colorado or wyoming I think have land owner tags, maybe Montana,too. Az is strickly by lottery draw, at least as far as I am aware. I know tags are non-transferable here, except in cases of extreame circumstance. And then only to next of kin.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2009 at 05:03
  That's it,Ted!!!  Read of some awesome hunts there.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2009 at 10:40

Mossback outfitters has a nice website that shows hunting areas and draw opportunities.  They have guided hunters to two bulls at or around 400 the last two years--I think on public land to top it off.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2009 at 15:00
Mossback outfitters are something else.  I hunt in the areas they do which are public land.  They have people go around and threaten any public hunters and tell them to get out of their area.  That is how they got the spider bull.  They boxed him in an area with a whole bunch of people and then kept everyone else from even getting near him.    A lady I work withs son was also hunting for the spider bull at the same time and everytime he would get even close to him a whole bunch of moss guys would show up and threaten him and chase him off.   Doyle Moss is a real piece of work.

They hire people just to chase off other hunters and threaten them.  I have personally had it done to me.  I just told them to kiss my ass and if they thought they were big enough to stop me they could go ahead and try.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2009 at 15:10
I bet they then spooked everything in the area away from you. The gang mentality moves to the woods.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2009 at 15:14
Thats exactly what they do. 

I was not even hunting, my dad and I were just up spotting and hiking for elk and deer one day before the hunts started.  These two guys walked up to us and asked what we were doing here.  We told them just looking for elk and deer and one of them said this is our area and you need to move on.  My dad said this is public land and we can be here if we want.  One of them said you need to leave or else.  So I asked if that was a threat and he just stared me down.  So I said what I typed above and we walked on.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic