OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hunting the Missouri Breaks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hunting the Missouri Breaks
    Posted: August/24/2009 at 22:48
Here are a few pictures of the land I will be hunting.  340 acres of private land.  On one side is a wildlife refuge (hunting is allowed).  The rest is surrounded by BLM land, but not many people hunt it because the road in there is closed other than to those that have permission to be on our land.

This is the foundation for the cabin, with my truck in the background.  You are looking northeast.  The second pic is looking south.  The first pic is looking at the Little Rockies to the north.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2009 at 23:09
The next few pics show more of the land to the south.  In the second picture you will see elk.  That was when I could get a pic of them, but I first saw them at 80 yards away on the private land.  9 cows, and a 6 point bull.  I have some trail cams set up in a coulee they like to travel because of the lush grass.  Leads right up to our land.  Should be a good setup.

I saw some mule deer in there as well.  And on the drive in there are tons of antelope.  Most of the area on the way in is block management, so you can hunt all of it.  The breaks are a very decieving area.  Looks flat and innocent, but they are as rugged and as dangerous as any mountain range.  When it rains, you won't go anywhere with a hill.  You can have a foot of mud on your boots from hiking around.  Going up hills is miserable.  And everything looks the same, so you better pay attention to directions or you will get lost.

I have a huge respect for that area, and a huge love for it.  It is the one area that I love out of the mountains. 

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 03:07
Dang Drew, that is beautiful country.  Good hunting my friend. 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 05:17
  GREAT looking territory!

There's no access to that public land?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 07:45
There is access to the public land.  The main road is to the north.  To get to this private land you take an offshoot road, which is closed to public use.  This cuts the traffic way down.  Also, this area is permit only for elk.  This limits the number of hunters in the hunting district, and most hunters like to go down into the CMR wildlife refuge.  This leaves the BLM and public lands unused a lot.  I am not saying that other hunters can't or won't use the land surrounding our land, it is just not very likely due to permits and access.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 07:59
  That'll work!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 10:28
Absolutely awesome ....Me be jealous
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 10:39
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

Absolutely awesome ....Me be jealous
+1
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 13:07
Drew, I am very happy for your fortune in having such a place.  Good hunting.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 13:56
Nice, real nice.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 14:35
I've never hunted the Breaks but have canoed through twice and hiked up top. Outside the mountains, it feels as remote as you can get in the lower 48. We've seen some real nice bighorn sheep and deer both times. From your photos, it looks like a good grass year up there. A few years ago, a friend scored a bull tag and it was so hot that he said coming out they only wore their hunting vests. I asked, "So where did you put your wallets?"

I wonder if anyone floats in to hunt. That'd be the way I'd do it...put in at Judith Landing and (hopefully) float the meat out a few days later.
Reaction time is a factor...
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 14:48
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Drew, I am very happy for your fortune in having such a place.  Good hunting.

Me too Drew, jealousy is so unbecoming!!!Smiling Mad   LOL!!!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 18:17
Well, don't get too jealous.  If you guys ever draw a tag for that area, I would be happy to take you in there.

JonoMT - That area can get blistering hot.  Almost unbearable.  It can also get bitterly cold in the winter.  It is a amazing area.  A beauty of its own.  Yet deadly dangerous if you aren't careful.  That area is more sparsely populated that the mountain areas of Montana.

There are people that float the river looking for elk and hunt from the shore in, or hunt the islands.  The elk swim out there to cool off, and to get away from pressure other places.  And let me tell you, elk are dang good swimmers.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 18:43
hey druy, when you going to let me hunt with you out there??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 19:24
  Sorry, Hunter, but the yet-to-be-completed cabin will barely be big enough for me and Peggy and our nine children!

I'm sure Andrew won't mind sharing a nearby tent with you, though!

Really, Man, you're welcome anytimeWelcome
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 19:30
Ron, you guys might be a tight squeeze in a two bedroom cabin.  Although you and your wife I am sure would enjoy the view from the balcony.  You are welcome to come anytime you want.

Hunter, any time you want to come out you are welcome.  It is also a great area for yote hunting.  No tags required.  Come hunt whenever.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 19:49
i may just have to come out there just for yotes!! i would really like to get an elk tag
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 20:08
 Thanks for the invitation!
 I'm really hoping that I have a couple more elk hunts somewhere in my future, and would love to hunt there. It looks like just the kind of terrain that I prefer to hunt. Just the right mix of cover and "open", and hills/ravines.
 I'd bet there are some screamer mulies in there, too.
 Any whitetails colonize it yet?
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 20:18
It is an amazing place to hunt.  Huge elk, huge mulies, and tons of antelope.  Not as many whitetails around, but they are being seen more, but mainly right near the rivers (Missouri and Musselshell.

If hunting with a bow, it has to be during rut to call the elk in, or set up blinds on trails and water holes.  One day, I hope to draw a rifle tag for that area.  They are extremely hard to get (been trying for 10 years so far and all I get is the archery tag, which is fine).  Archery is such a challenge and so rewarding.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 06:09
That seems like excellent hunting area.!!

Trust you will be fortunate and post some very nice pics soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic