OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Selecting a scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Selecting a scope
    Posted: August/24/2009 at 14:20
 I just joined the forum and have been around browsing for a while but finally decided it was time for a few questions.
 I am a hunter first and a target shooter second but that will probably turn around due to a back injury, but either way I love to shoot and I love to shoot accurately. Problem is the eyes are getting old and looking through a scope is what I need to due now.
 So today I ordered a 20x42 ss for my 7mm remington mag. I will be sighting it in for 200 yards and wonder if I made the right choice. I always used variables for my rifles with 12x being the highest but I find the bulls eye a little blurry now out at 100yards and hard to hold on, so I am wondering if this was a good choice?
 I also have a savage model 10 le in 308win with a 20" barrel that I am thinking about rescoping with a trijicon 5x20 with the green dot triangle but will wait and see how these fixed power scopes are.
 I also have a 223 savage same configuration as the 308 and a 223 bushmaster preditor awaiting new glass and will hold off for all of your views on different scopes.
 A little more back ground; I was never in the military(unfortunately) so this mil dot SS is a first(always used the duplex reticle) so I also ordered a mil dot master and am wondering if there is any other reading on the subject of mil dots.
 WOW got awful long winded. sorry I didn't realize until I stopped and looked up.
froggy
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2009 at 16:52

Rj... welcometo Optics talk! As far as a hunting scope, a 20x wouldn't have been my first choice, simply because the exit pupil is so small(42mm obj./ 20x mag=2.1mm that the light can get throug.) A 10x is what I use, I haven't "hunted" with it yet, but have been out scouting, and it does pretty good. As far as the reticle, check out mildot.com lots of good info there.

If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2009 at 16:59
In my opinion if a person really feels 20x is necessary for hunting I would get a variable scope.  A fixed 20x is not going to work for hunting at all.  Not just the exit pupil, but the limited field of view, the mirage, trying to find the target.  Every movement you make will be magnified 20x making it very hard to hold steady.  Quality of the image will be severly degraded.  The higher the mag the more taxing it is on the quality of the glass and you will see every flah in it.  Even very good glass starts going down hill quickly around 18x.

If you were to get a 6x-24x or something similar that would server you well for hunting and target shooting.  Downside is a good one will cost you significantly more than a good ole SS scope.    
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2009 at 23:47
rjtfroggy, have you been checked for cataracts?  Reason that I ask is that I just had right eye cataract surgery and vision improved dramatically.  Cataract diffuses light through eye lens and makes things look dull and blurry, even through a scope.

I use mostly variables and have not felt a need for more than 14x, even with blurred vision before surgery.  As said by others, mirage and incidental movement can make a scope over 15x harder to use.
CDR3
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 06:50
  I have had eye exams and all they tell me is that I have a lazy focus ( comes with age) and that I have to live with it.
  My glasses haven't changed in 10 years and I only use for reading, my distance vission used to be +20/15 but now I wonder if that is changing, I am scheduling an app. with eye dr. because this is getting frustrating trying to look down range with a scope and seeing a blurr.
  I thought a more powerful scope with a focussing feature would at least help on the range, I'll stick to closer shots in the woods with less powerful vaiables.
froggy
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 13:08
Buy a scope with a diopter focus ring.  All scopes have that adjustment but it is easier on the ones with the adjustable ocular lens.  This should solve your problem.
CDR3
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 19:14
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I'm curious why you are asking our advice "after" you ordered the scope?  Soon enough you'll know if it helps by looking thru it.
take em!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 20:34
Originally posted by rjtfroggy rjtfroggy wrote:

I have had eye exams and all they tell me is that I have a lazy focus ( comes with age) and that I have to live with it.
  My glasses haven't changed in 10 years and I only use for reading, my distance vission used to be +20/15 but now I wonder if that is changing, I am scheduling an app. with eye dr. because this is getting frustrating trying to look down range with a scope and seeing a blurr.
  I thought a more powerful scope with a focussing feature would at least help on the range, I'll stick to closer shots in the woods with less powerful vaiables.

You are a year behind me and you are describing my symptoms to a T. At least the ones that I can remember. It also hurts to get up in the morning. Come to think about it, it hurts to get up to go to bed too. Don't let it get you down. They tell me these are the start of the golden Years. Humph.  Shocked
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 21:46
I think you will enjoy the 20x for a range gun. My first Super Sniper was a 20x.  As for the .308 I would wait and spend the extra money on the 10x HD with 1/10 mil clicks.  I  have two of the 3-9 variable Super Snipers and really like the 1/10 mil clicks it is a very nice scope for the money.  I like the 10FP in the 20 in version it just feels right to me.  There is some info at mildot.com on the mildot master and more info at mil-dot.com on mil dot reticles.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 05:14
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I'm curious why you are asking our advice "after" you ordered the scope?  Soon enough you'll know if it helps by looking thru it.
  I asked because I am looking to replace more tham 1 scope but thought   i would get a few educated opinions before buying the others.
froggy
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 05:20

Threetens I know exactly how you feel and then some having had 5 lunbar surgeries and probably one more coming real soon getting up to do anything hurts like hell.I even have too pass on shooting clays some days becaose the movement to the bird and then the recoil just drives me to bed for the rest of the day
froggy
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 05:29
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I think you will enjoy the 20x for a range gun. My first Super Sniper was a 20x.  As for the .308 I would wait and spend the extra money on the 10x HD with 1/10 mil clicks.  I  have two of the 3-9 variable Super Snipers and really like the 1/10 mil clicks it is a very nice scope for the money.  I like the 10FP in the 20 in version it just feels right to me.  There is some info at mildot.com on the mildot master and more info at mil-dot.com on mil dot reticles.

Thanks I didn't know a new one was coming out.
  I also have the same rifle in 223 both with factory thumbhole stocks. They were sold as model 11bgt and made for the box stores in the mid west. They are both tack drivers at 100 and I would like to try and push them out a little farther to see what they can do.I was thinking about the new Trijicon 5-20 with the triangle post but the price holds me back on an unproven product.
froggy
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 07:06
Originally posted by rjtfroggy rjtfroggy wrote:

I asked because I am looking to replace more than 1 scope but thought   i would get a few educated opinions before buying the others.

aah, you came to the right place then!  Did you mention a price range you are trying to stay within?
take em!
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 09:19
[
aah, you came to the right place then!  Did you mention a price range you are trying to stay within?
[/QUOTE]

Right now I am searching for the biggest bang for the buck.
 Problem is I am not a competitive shooter but love to shoot so accuracy,quality of optics and of course price ( retired firefighter on fixed income ) but I am also a hunter who wants accuracy out to 300 yards although that is a extremely long shot in Ct..
 My scopes will be set dead on at 200 yards which should put me with a dead on aiming point out to 300. Now remember I will be using a 7mm rem mag or a 308win. The 7mm is a remington 700 bdl and the 308 is a savage model 10 le with a 20" heavey barrel.
 The 308 shoots great 1ragged hole at 100 but I have not shot it out at 200 yet, but will be soon.
 The 7mm is iffy at best right now that is why I bought the 20x SS. Right now I am shooting 160gr. bullet being pushed by 48.6 grns. of IMR4895 but that can be adjusted if I can't get the accuracy I want. Right now it is just over an inch at a 100 but not being able to see real clear out of the scope may be the problem. I need to fix 1 problem at a time, I know 1" isn't that bad but I try to get all my rifles under 3/4" at 100.
 Maybe I am asking too much out of this particular gun,or maybe I need to stop comparing it to heavey barreled guns.
 I thought by asking here I would get good honest answers with out the BS from some other places, after reading some of the post from all over the site I felt there is a lot of experience around here and the answers seemed like they were pretty well thought out.
 Thanks for the time.
froggy
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 11:13
This is OT but you might want to try some IMR 4350, 4831 or 7828 for the 7mm Rem Mag.  IMR4895 is a little fast burning for that caliber.  Good for .308 Win but not 7mm mag.  Best accuracy that I have gotten wih high velocity (close to 3000 fps with 160 gr Noslers) was with close to max loads of 7828 powder. 

I have been shooting and loading for the 7mm Rem Mag since 1965 and both 7mm mag rifles liked slow burning powder.  I never was able to get either velocity or accuracy out of factory ammo except Winchester Supreme.
CDR3
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 11:52
 Oldtrader3 the 4350 groups right around the same that is why I am thinking maybe change optics and then play around with loads.
 My first thought was here we go again another monday morning barrel from Remington, wouldn't be the first but it will be the last.
 I won't rebarrel because the gunsmiths around here want over a $1000 to do it I will just trade in for a different brand. Hopefully savage will have one or I will order one from them with a heavey 22-23 inch barrel.
 This 700 sits in a fully bedded hogue stock and has a timiney trigger in it and in a week or so it will have the 20x SS scope.
froggy
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 12:46
I just got back a rifle I sent to E. R. Shaw for a rebarrel.  With no other work done it cost $265.00.  Plus the shipping and ins. to them.  They paid shipping and ins. back to me.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 12:47
Plus they make some with Remington factory contour.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 06:22
Magshooter It took me a while but finally looked at Shaw their price for barrel,matte finish and doincg the work $765+.
 Duglas & mcgowen even more.
 Savage for a new rifle built to my specs. 7mm, 20" heavey bull,1/9.5,target crown,$840 msrp= $800 my cost including Ct. sales tax(6%).
 Needless to say I went with the new one. I have already ordered it (6week wait) I also back ordered a LRV thumbhole stock from Stocky's and will be saving the 20x42 SS for it.  I will probably mount the scope and shoot with the tupperware stock while waiting for the thumbhole just to break it in and see how well it will shoot.
 I already own a few savages(5) and all shoot under 1"@100 with 2 of them shooting under .5"@100 so I am hoping this one will do the same. I am not going to bash rem. but this is the 3rd non shooter from them and all they say is "it is with in specs."Shocked so it is my last. I know many many people have great luck with them I unfortunately didn't, so when the time is right and the price is better it will find a new home.
froggy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic