OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Opinions Wanted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntsonora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions Wanted
    Posted: August/23/2009 at 18:13
I have a pair of Swarovskis, the old 10x40 binos, and I love them.  They are in Austria getting refurbished now so I needed something to take its place for now and to have as a backup glass.

I have been looking at 10x and 15x binoculars.  The choices were as follows

10x:
Cabelas Euro
Vortex Razor
Zen ED

15x
Vortex Kaibab
Minox 15x58 ED

I recently purchased the Vortex Kaibab 15x56 and the Vortex Razor 10x42.  They arrived this past Thursday and I just got back from scouting for an upcoming sheep hunt.  To be honest, I wasnt blown away but for the money I guess I shouldnt have expected to be.  I am thinking about sending them back and going with one of the other options.

The Kaibab is a good glass, I'm not sure I would call it great though.  The edge to edge clarity is good and unlike the swarovski, the Kaibab fits my eyes.  I was much more inpressed with the Kaibabs than I was with the Razors.  The Minox still have my interest though

The Razors started out great, on Saturday I was extremely pleased and they were very clear!  I babied the binoculars, they stayed in the case when not in use and I was much easier on them then I plan on being once the hunting season starts.  Anyway, today I could NOT get them to focus right, I would get it to where Icould look through them and the next time I would put them to my face they were completely out of focus.  Even the right eye which has a "locking focus" feature.  The edge to edge clarity was still decent on the left eye when I refocused them but was horrible on the right eye.  On the right eye I could get it fairly clear in the center but it was not good on the edges.  I could even get it clear on the edges but completely out of whack in the center.  I was extremely dissappointed with this as I had heard good things.  The Cabelas Euro was my second choice and am kicking myself.

Would love to hear your thoughts.  Would you have gone with different optics?

I tried to research as much as I could and went with Vortex for their warranty but to be honest I am seriously second guessing my decision as I havent even had them 3 days and the Razors are just not functional at this point.

I cannot afford the time to have to refocus every time I put my glass to my eyes.  I have clients that rely on my quick field judging on hunts and when I am in Sonora our window of opportunity can be relatively small.

It kills me but if the Razors are this fragile/finicky/cheap(insert your own word here) then how will the Kaibabs hold up.  You know what they say about first impressions and I simply cannot afford to be without optics during the hunting season

Thanks

HS
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 18:33
The Razor is a better binocular than that.  Something is SNAFU.  Send them back to Vortex.  They will fix or replace posthaste.  Be sure you have a good sample before you decide.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

huntsonora View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntsonora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 16:19
I talked with Vortex and I just overnighted them back.  They will send me a new pair and I'll see if they are better.  I want to believe they will be good glass but first impressions are tough to get past.  At least with the warranty I can always have them fixed and sell them one day if they dont meet my needs. 

Has anybody else had this problem with the Razors?  Do you guys think that they are a tough pair of Binos?  I have only had to send my Swaros in a couple of times in the past 20 years

Thanks

HS
NV Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NV Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 16:21
I agree with Steve... something is wrong.  Vortex will make it right. 

I have a pair of the 15x58 ED MINOX...  I love them!  Fantastic for long range glassing when using a tripod.  NV Hunter 
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 19:43
I had two pairs of the 8x42 Razors and never had any problem like that with them. They were/are very good glass for the money. I would have "zero" problem owning another pair.

If durability is one of your primary concerns as it sounds like you will not be babying them then the Cabelas Euro (rebadged Meopta Meostar) is very hard to ignore. I would put them, and the Leica Trinovids, in a very small group of the toughest binoculars currently produced for the public.
Frank
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntsonora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 21:16
Thanks bud, I bought the vortex without having ever held or seen a pair. I like the warranty and the customer service rep I talked to was great! I hope they work out, I was going between te vortex and cabelas euro and hope it will turn out right. My swaros are getting a full refurbish in Austria now and will be back in 3 months.

In your opinion, is there any difference optically in the two?

I know I can be rough on equipment but I will use these binos almost everyday between sept 4 and the first of feb
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 22:06
I just got a pair of 8X50 Razor's this summer and absolutely love them.  I worked at the store that sells the Euro's and although I never took them on a hunt, I bought the Razor's and not the Euro's.  My Razor's have been to ball games.... to the range..... riding in the Durango and no issues!
take em!
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 09:08
Good luck huntsonora.  Let us know how the new Razor's work out.  
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 11:06
I've put my 8X42 Razors through 2 years of hard use, and so far, they have been great!  I dropped my original pair from a tree stand shortly after buying them, bending one of the eyecups, and Vortex replaced them within a week.  They replaced them instead of repairing the eyecup because I had the original generation with the stiffer focus.  Excellent customer service!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntsonora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 17:09
Awesome! Thanks for the input guys! I should have my binos back on Friday or Saturday and I will let u guys know how they perform. I like the company, I like the warranty and I appreciate good customer service like I have already received so if the glass holds up and it stays true and in focus I see myself being a lifelong customer.

HS
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntsonora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 18:08
Although I have to say, the "good" deal I got is a little less "good" after the $92 it cost me to overnight my razors back to Vortex

HS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic