OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles, is it a gimmick?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles, is it a gimmick?
    Posted: August/23/2009 at 00:07
Do any of you use a Kahles multi-zero? How is it different than a tactical turret?
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 08:13
I have 2 of them, both 4x12x52 MZ's.  They are different than tactical turrets

1.  They have a zero stop.  IOW, when you zero your rifle at whatever range you want, you move the pointer on the top of the turret to Mode B (shown here on Mode C)

rotate counter clockwise until the turret hits the internal stop, then move the pointer to Mode C

and you have set the turret to always stop at your zero point.

2.  You can set your yardage marks at whatever distance you want by moving the adjustable markers

I set my zero stop at 200 yards (you don't need to use one of the markers for your zero since it will always stop there), this pic shows the turret stopped at my zero for 200 yards and the 1st marker set for 300 yards

here the turret is rotated to the 400 yard mark

or you can use it for odd yardages like 440 yards

3.  The scope is transferable to any rifle and you can make it fit the new trajectory just by resetting the yardage markers.  You could use it on a muzzleloader and set the marks for 50, 100, 150 & 200 yards or on a 1000 yd bench gun and set them for 400, 600, 800 & 1000. 

I guess the main difference is that it has the zero stop, you don't have to worry about losing your zero and you don't have to remember how many clicks to use for the yardage you are shooting.

I have mine on a 280AI and a 338RUM and no problems yet.

Edited by sakomato - August/23/2009 at 08:15
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 14:05
Darn good post Sakomato. Nothing much left to say about that. Thunbs Up
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 16:45
Wow Sako... Very good info, was wonderin about that too!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
sniperafar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniperafar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 18:34
I am still confused.  Do you shoot to set your next set?  Maybe I do not understand the whole system.  New to the whole concept.
Panzer divisions
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 18:36
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

Darn good post Sakomato. Nothing much left to say about that. Thunbs Up

Plus 1!  Excellent
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 18:41
It is good enough that Swarovski took over the Kahles and now has the Ballistic turret is on their scopes.
http://www.swarovskioptik.us/en_us/products/46
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 20:54
Originally posted by sniperafar sniperafar wrote:

I am still confused.  Do you shoot to set your next set?  Maybe I do not understand the whole system.  New to the whole concept.

It is always best to shoot at the distance when you are setting the marks.  It is easy to do, you can move the marks with any sharp object like a ball point pen.  They will not move on their own cause there is a little tension there and the silver rings where the marks are located are recessed from the black knurled rings of the turret.  The red thingy slips over the silver ring and turns it separately from the turret

However, if you are limited by time or availability of longer shooting ranges, then you can take the trajectory from your bullet and set up a target to set the marks at the 100 yard range.  For instance, in the beginning I used a 100 yard zero for the 280AI and calculated the trajectory as follows for a 100 yard target (160 gr Accubond at 3000 fps)

100 yards - zero
200 yards - 2.80" / 2 = 1.4"
300 yards - 10.6" / 3 = 3.5"
400 yards - 23.9" / 4 = 6"
500 yards - 43.9" / 5 = 8.8"

put some marks on the target and shoot it at 100 yards to set your marks

it will get you close but you should consider it a preliminary setting of the marks. 

Then when you shoot at the longer distances you can tweek the settings a little one way or the other.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 21:12
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

It is good enough that Swarovski took over the Kahles and now has the Ballistic turret is on their scopes.
http://www.swarovskioptik.us/en_us/products/46

Yeah, Swarovski is the parent company that owns Kahles (even though Kahles is the older company, the oldest scope maker there is I think) so they absconded with the idea after they gave Kahles a few years.  There is one less setting on the Swaro, it probably costs twice as much and it turns the wrong way Big Grin.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2009 at 01:51
Sakomato,
Do you have the 4A reticle or the plex?...If you have the plex reticle does it work well enough for you in low light, is it heavy enough in other words?

Thanks!
JF
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2009 at 02:24
Originally posted by JF4545 JF4545 wrote:

Sakomato,
Do you have the 4A reticle or the plex?...If you have the plex reticle does it work well enough for you in low light, is it heavy enough in other words?

Thanks!
JF

I have one in 4A and the other in the plex.  I have not been in a situation yet where I could compare the 2 at dusk or dawn since in the last couple of years I've only been glassing with binoculars at low light.

That being said, I prefer the 4A.  Most of my life I have hunted with the various plexes and when I look through the 4A it just seems like an upgrade.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2009 at 10:38
Sako, great posts.  I couldn't explain it any better...
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2009 at 10:47
I have the 3-10x50 MZ 4a
I bought the the plex reticle at the same time
(stupid move, bought both at the same time off ebay, oops)
the 4a is LOTS better in low light

had a Swarovski AH 3-10x42 with the plex reticle as well
I definitely prefer the 4A of the Kahles
and it's thin enough that I can still shoot 1/2" groups with it

mine's on my 270 and to be honest, I ended up hunting this past year with it at 1.5" high at 100 and not even using the MZ function

this year, I plan to test and use it more
though I am going to work up loads for the 110g barnes TTSX, at 3400 FPS, it will be flat enough shooting that I don't really need the MZ functionality at the typical distances I hunt

Edited by ccoker - August/24/2009 at 10:48
sniperafar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniperafar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2009 at 18:46
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

Originally posted by sniperafar sniperafar wrote:

It is always best to shoot at the distance when you are setting the marks.  It is easy to do, you can move the marks with any sharp object like a ball point pen.  They will not move on their own cause there is a little tension there and the silver rings where the marks are located are recessed from the black knurled rings of the turret.  The red thingy slips over the silver ring and turns it separately from the turret

However, if you are limited by time or availability of longer shooting ranges, then you can take the trajectory from your bullet and set up a target to set the marks at the 100 yard range.  For instance, in the beginning I used a 100 yard zero for the 280AI and calculated the trajectory as follows for a 100 yard target (160 gr Accubond at 3000 fps)

100 yards - zero
200 yards - 2.80" / 2 = 1.4"
300 yards - 10.6" / 3 = 3.5"
400 yards - 23.9" / 4 = 6"
500 yards - 43.9" / 5 = 8.8"

put some marks on the target and shoot it at 100 yards to set your marks

it will get you close but you should consider it a preliminary setting of the marks. 

Then when you shoot at the longer distances you can tweek the settings a little one way or the other.
Thanks, I appreciate your effort in posting extra pictures and the explanation.  Not many people would go to those extremes to explain what I did not understand.  Again, thanks.
Panzer divisions
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 19:30
Originally posted by brodeur272 brodeur272 wrote:

Sako, great posts.  I couldn't explain it any better...

even IF you could..... why bother.   Nice job Sako!
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic