OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon or Pentax?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brunoleke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon or Pentax?
    Posted: August/22/2009 at 09:47
Ok, here are the infos:

-Landscape view: 80% of time
-Stargazzing: 20% of time

And here is the question:

Which one should I go?
I mean, which one of them has the best optics qualities?

Nikon 12x50 Extreme Action

or

Pentax 12x50 PCF WP II
http://www.binoculars.com/binoculars/sp ... cfwpii.cfm

The secondary question is:
12x50 or 10x50?

I had a 10x50 model. I liked the 10x, but I really would like something more powerful, without loosing mobility.

Is it a good choice to go with the 12x50 or should I stay on the 10x50?

By the way, if you, experienced guys, have any other tip of good binoculars in this range (up to 170 dollars), you can tell me!

Thanks a lot!
brunoleke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brunoleke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 10:40
Actually, after thinking a lot. I can say that I accept other suggestions.
The reasons:

Nikon is OK, but many people complain of glare and they are MULTI not FULLY coated.

Pentax is OK, but its angle of view is 4.2º. Too small.

Can anyone help me with suggestions?
Up to 170 dollars...
Thanks a lot!
brunoleke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brunoleke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 11:10
What about these?

http://www.binoculars.com/binoculars/hunting-binoculars/vortex12x50diamondbackbinoculars.cfm

Although they are roof, they seem to be very good.

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 08:15
I have the Pentax PCF WP II 12x50mm
and the Pentax PCF WP 16x60mm
& the Pentax PCF WP II 20x60mm

All three are excellnet Porro prism binoculars and rugged & higher quality than many of the Porro prism binoculars on the market in that price range.

As you stated, the Nikon AE ATB 12x50mm is multi-coated, and the Pentax is Fully Multi-Coated, my own personal comparison between the two showed the Pentax to be brighter & clearer. (better light transmission due to the up-graded optical coatings?)

The Pentax PCF WP II has what is called Inner-Focus Optical Design which gives a JIS Class 6 Waterproofing to this series of binoculars.  The Nikon AE ATB binocular does NOT specify what rating of waterproofness has been tested for that particular model. 

The Pentax comes with very long Eye Relief, 20mm, which is important for eye glass wearers.

The Pentax comes with a Focus Lock, you can set it and forget it.

Balance in my hands with any one of the three has always been excellent for hand holding.

The Nikon is soft at the edges, and the Pentax is sharp to the edges, which to me offsets the smaller FOV of the Pentax.

The Pentax would be better for stargazing because of the sharpness out to the edges.

I have had no problems with ghosting or internal reflections when stargazing, while using the Pentax 12x & 20x WP II models.  The discontinued PCF WP 16x60mm has older optical coatings, which do show minor ghosting on very bright targets such as a full moon.

If you hand hold the 12x from a comfortable sitting position you will do well, otherwise a small, lightweight tripod is preferable, or even a monopod.

Stan Bandito

Edited by Bird Watcher - August/23/2009 at 08:23
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 09:40
+1

And SWFA the people who run this forum have a 110% price guarantee. Plus excellent CS as well.

Also take a look at the sample list.
brunoleke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brunoleke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 10:36
Guys, sorry making another question, but I´ve been looking for something with more quality and I found the LEUPOLD OLYMPIC.

What do you think of them?

I mean, they are roof, but Leupold are "something", arent they?

For stargazing, does it work?

My priority is land view, bird view.. but I dont know anyone who have these binos... can you guys help me here?
Thanks a lot!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 16:02
Here's a quick comment regarding roof prism binoculars and stargazing.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 16:15
Originally posted by brunoleke brunoleke wrote:

Guys, sorry making another question, but I´ve been looking for something with more quality and I found the LEUPOLD OLYMPIC.

What do you think of them?

My past experience with the Leupold Olympic 10x or 12x is that they are too lightweight for steady hand holding, I prefer around 35 ozs. for steady hand holding.

Edited by Bird Watcher - August/23/2009 at 16:15
brunoleke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brunoleke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 16:38
I sent you a PM, Bird Watcher!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic