OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Finally signed up, a few questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally signed up, a few questions
    Posted: August/20/2009 at 16:01
I've been reading the posts from this site off and on for over a year now....always studied the crap out of guns since I was little but for some reason never dug into optics until recently.  I've never dealt with scopes over $200 besides besides little experiences in the Marine Corps.  I never registered on the site because I wanted to keep my mouth shut and just watch and learn but figure its time to join in.

Ok....so I was wondering the opinion of those who have handled both Zeiss Conquest and IOR scopes.  Which would you say has the edge in brightness, clarity, contrast, etc.??  I'm under the impression that IOR is very rugged except for a few problem models, how about durability the Conquest line?

I've been thinking of getting a fixed upper end scope with 4x magnification to take the jump into better optics instead of a variable with lots of features but lesser quality image.  The rifle I plan to have it on is not yet purchased 20 inch barreled 308 or 22 inch barreled 30-06.  Will be the only rifle and scope purchase for the next few years....rest of money in the mean time will be for ammo, shooting, and more ammo.

Thanks guy, it's been a joy reading and learning from you.  Also thank you for your service for those of you still in the military, better you than me!!! Big Grin
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2009 at 16:28
Welcome to OT, Dan!  Thank you for your service!Salute

I don't have enough experience with these scopes to say which has the edge in durability, which is to say I have scopes from both series and I've not had either fail on me yet.  I think IOR has a slight edge in image quality.  Both are outstanding in this regard.  I can't say for certain which has better light transmission, because my IOR has a 50mm objective and all the Conquest scopes I've used were 44mm and smaller objective models. 

I do have a fixed 4X32 Conquest and love that little scope!  I'm sure the 4X IOR is very nice as well, though I've never seen it to make a comparision.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2009 at 16:29
Welcome Sir, thanks for your service! There are several folks on here that indeed qualify as experts...I am not one. However, I will deposit my $.02 anyway. Obviously, scope selection is quite dependent on many variables such as: the type of usage, ranges, terrain, quarry (if any), wants and needs regarding finances, etc. I would suppose you will be asked to supply such info. Anyhow, to the specific question. I have one Zeiss Conquest variable (currently) and it's a very good option. Recently I sold a 4X Conquest that was also wonderful. I have not owned an IOR, but have seen two on weapons at a range I frequent. Also, very nice. I'm sure either would suffice for the intended usage, but maybe there is even something better. See what the pros from Dover come up with. Big Grin
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2009 at 16:30
Dang Ted, you beat me by 1 minute. You are the one!
               Anomymous
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2009 at 17:01
Looking into the future, uses will be for hunting in Montana and Wyoming, and possibly in Alaska if money and time allow.  For next couple years probably just range time once or twice a month and maintaining/developing further marksmanship skills. 

I'm looking at maximum utility and durability for less than $500.  Have a 2 year old stepson, 10 month old daughter, and another baby on the way...so I'm always looking at my dollars being the most efficient possible.

You guys are awesome for the quick replies by the way, went out to get my last pack of smokes (wishful thinking...hope it works) from the corner store and already had some replies when I got back!

Would be nice if there was a dead-nuts reliable illuminated 4x fixed scope with great glass at around $500....seems like the ones who come close people do not like the illumination.  Only illuminated scopes I've seen with unanimous praise are the uber-expensive ones and Accupoints.

Thanks again
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2009 at 13:40
Not quite a 4X fixed with illumination, but how about a Burris Sig Select 1.5-6 X 40 with the Electro Dot? Or perhaps a Fullfield European 30 mm with the German 3P 4E Dot? Just some choices. Smile
               Anomymous
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2009 at 13:58
Thanks bud I'll check them out...how do you feel about durability for Burris scopes?  I read a few different places where some of their tactical scopes were having problems early on, do you think it was probably model specific bugs needing worked out?
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2009 at 14:04
I've had Sig Selects that experienced no issues what-so-ever. The Fullfields are spoken of quite well  around here although I've never (personally) owned one.
               Anomymous
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2009 at 14:31
When the specs list a scopes eye relief, say from 3.1-3.8" as in the Fullfield European...does that mean you have that whole range for the appropriate sight picture or does it really change that much during magnification?  Maybe either/or depending on the manufacturer?

I think if that is the change between magnification changes, I would go with something with very minute changes or none at all.  I know the slightest changes in your own perfect cheek-weld can jack things up big time past 200 yards when using field positions.

Would be nice for something like an illuminated 2-8x32 under 13 ounces with a solid 4" eye relief.  Some of the scopes I'm checking out are really heavy, crazy heavy....I don't see how people actually use them for hunting unless it's from a stand or something.  Carrying around an M-16 or Benelli M4 all day long you hate the thing after awhile and it feels like it weighs a ton.

Anyway I think I need to put my eye up to some of these scopes and not just look at them online right now.  It will be interesting to see if the diopter adjustments can work fully well with my eye that has a contact and the eye that does not.

A lot of times my eyes have problems and I go a week or so just having a contact in one of the eyes...I think it will probably be crucial in the scope I pick out.  Worse case scenario my eyes act up or I get something in them when hunting and I'd need to know I wouldn't have to just stop and go home.

magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2009 at 14:45
They are not illuminated but both the Nikon Monarch and Zeiss Conquest 2.5x8x32's are very nice scopes and would serve you well on either rifle.  Have you considered the Trijicon scopes?
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2009 at 14:57
Originally posted by danjojoUSMC danjojoUSMC wrote:

Looking into the future, uses will be for hunting in Montana and Wyoming, and possibly in Alaska if money and time allow.  For next couple years probably just range time once or twice a month and maintaining/developing further marksmanship skills. 

I'm looking at maximum utility and durability for less than $500.  Have a 2 year old stepson, 10 month old daughter, and another baby on the way...so I'm always looking at my dollars being the most efficient possible.

You guys are awesome for the quick replies by the way, went out to get my last pack of smokes (wishful thinking...hope it works) from the corner store and already had some replies when I got back!

Would be nice if there was a dead-nuts reliable illuminated 4x fixed scope with great glass at around $500....seems like the ones who come close people do not like the illumination.  Only illuminated scopes I've seen with unanimous praise are the uber-expensive ones and Accupoints.

Thanks again

Most quality 4x scopes are "dead-nuts" reliable.  As far as illumination goes, it is over-rated for most uses.  Just get a scope with a thick enough reticle to work well in low light.

Conquest 4x32 is an exceptionally nice scope as well, although the Z-Plex is a bit thinner than 4a and post reticles.

If you are dead set on illumination, finding something truly good under $500 is difficult.

Ultimately, if illuminatino is critical, I would consider spending more money and getting one of Trijicon Accupoint scopes.

Otherwise, any of the 4x32 scopes above will fit the bill.

ILya
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2009 at 14:58
If money was no object I would of ordered an Accupoint a long time ago without ever seeing one in person...I've read so many good reviews on them in the past year or so and I admire the Trijicon company. 

Trying to remember if they do direct military discounts like some companies do, my wife is still active-duty military and maybe I could talk her into the purchase.

From online photos I've seen the more traditional cross-hair ones seem to have a pretty small dot, when you actually stick your eye-ball up to it do you like like the size?

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2009 at 15:04
Thanks koshkin, have always enjoyed your reviews and I appreciate the advice.

I think I'll try to see how a thick post works for me, and if I do go illumination try to stick it out till I can get ahold of an Accupoint.

Trying to think of a good place in San Diego to try out some scopes right now....wish I was back in Ohio where I grew up....guns, scopes, and ammo all over the place.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2009 at 15:05
Originally posted by danjojoUSMC danjojoUSMC wrote:

If money was no object I would of ordered an Accupoint a long time ago without ever seeing one in person...I've read so many good reviews on them in the past year or so and I admire the Trijicon company. 

Trying to remember if they do direct military discounts like some companies do, my wife is still active-duty military and maybe I could talk her into the purchase.

From online photos I've seen the more traditional cross-hair ones seem to have a pretty small dot, when you actually stick your eye-ball up to it do you like like the size?

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

For clearing buildings the small dot ont he crosshair reticle is probably a bit small.  For more deliberate shots, I think it works great.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic