OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mid Range Scope...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mid Range Scope...
    Posted: August/20/2009 at 05:58
G'day from Australia everyone!,

I'm currently purchasing a Ruger Hawkeye L-H'ed in .308 Win* and i'm undecided what brand and model scope to get.

I'm after a no-frills scope that does the job and holds zero. Basically the way I perceive things, as far as scopes go, is that there's either total crap throwaway "Made In China" rubbish (Nikko Sterling, BSA etc etc) or $800-$1000 plus (AUD $) scopes that would have me freaking out if i ever dropped it (Leupold VX-3, Swarovski etc etc). I'm after a scope thats between the 2 poles ($300-$600 Aus Dollars). I'm thinking of getting a Leupold VX-1 scope (not sure which yet probably 4-12x40mm).

What do you all here think of the:

Leupold VX-1 series?
Bushnell 3200 Elite series?
Weaver ranges?
Burris ranges?

(the last 2 from the prices on http://www.nvt.com.au/Rifle-scopes/ are just out of my price range.)

* I wanted a Remington 700 CDL L-H'ed in .308 but the price for one over here is INSANE. I bought the Ruger new for $1150 Australian. The Remington is $1800!!!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2009 at 07:42
  Hey AA,WELCOME to OT!!

You can get this scope from the site you posted for $669 + freight.  Although it has less power on the high end it is quite a few steps up in quality from the VX-1 or 3200 scopes.  The 4200 series scopes are one of the most popular in the US:

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2009 at 10:11
+1   300 S&W

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 02:39
After doing some research it's looking to be either Bushnell Elites (3200 or 4200) or a Weaver Grand Slam.

Are Light Optical Works scopes any good???
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 07:54
  I have two Weaver GS's and can tell you that they're very nice scopes.  BUT to me they're not worth the difference in price your link shows over the 4200 I recommended!

Edited by 300S&W - August/22/2009 at 07:58
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 08:00

I'm not positive, but I believe that Light Optical Works is a Japanese firm producing some of the very best Japanese optics, based upon previous postings in this forum.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 08:16

Your right,Ron.  But check this shipping invoice out:

http://www.importgenius.com/shipments/light-optical-works.html     

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 08:19
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

I'm not positive, but I believe that Light Optical Works is a Japanese firm producing some of the very best Japanese optics, based upon previous postings in this forum.
I've read somewhere on the net that L.O.W. makes the Bushnell Elite series and the Weaver Grand Slam.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 08:44

It's looking that way.  I'm wondering if they're still making Simmons scopes as that invoice shows they were doing in 2006.  I was given a Pro Hunter 6x40 and it's D'd nice!

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 09:44
I will be calling my prefered gun dealer first thing Monday morning and ordering that 4200 (not sure yet on model)...it was my birthday yesterday (just ticked over past 12 midnight where I am) and I put a $100 in a $1 slot machine and won $500!!! Big Grin
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 09:53

Happy Birthday  TO YA!!!!!!!

NOW how about comin' over and I'll give you the money to buy me a POWERBALL ticket since you got all this luck!! OF COURSE we'll split the winnings.   LOL
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 10:02
300S&W, which model do you reckon is better. The 2.5-10x40mm or the 4-16x40mm??? the furtherest I intend to shoot is 300 metres.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 10:29
  Both are equal in quality.  In my opinion I like the 2.5-10x40.  I like 2.5X on the low end for chance,up close fast shots and 10X on the top end is plenty for a 300 meter shot or ALOT more.  Field of view is wider on the 2.5-10x40 also.  10.8ft and 41.5ft  compared to 7ft and 26ft.
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 23:29
What 300 said.  For 300 yard shots unless your shooting ground squires you don't need that high of magnification, 10x is plenty.  Most of the time hunters are running too high of magnification anyways,  not so much with the scope but they tend to turn up the power and when the deer shows up at 60 yards they can't get off a shot cause it's too close for the power setting. If I can't get it done with 10x I start making sure wind is in my favor and the stalk begins.
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 00:06
The  2.5-10 is better for hunting but the 4-16 is really nice on the target range because you can see the holes in a 200 yd target plust the 4-16 has knobs that you can use to dial in correction.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 04:29
I will be getting the 2.5-10x40mm model.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 11:10
I think you are making a great choice, Apostle!  I'm very partial to 2.5-10X scopes as an ideal general purpose variable.  Welcome to OT!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 20:58
Ordered it this week...got it for $690...was a $1 dearer than the above website that I posted...
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 21:10
Apostle, I had a recent experience with a 3-9 Bushnell 3200 that had a Firefly reticle.
First, the reticle is excellent for shooting at big game in any light. That includes without being charged with a light source.
Second, the scope took a 4 1/2 foot fall from the top of a shooting bench. The gun landed squarely on top of the vertical adjustment turret. The scope was initially off by several inches after the blow. After dialing it back in it has remained zeroed for at least another twenty shots.
The 3200 impresses me and I'm a 4200 fan.
I will try to post photos from the range session and get back if you are interested in a 3200. One thing for sure, I will look at the 4200's that have the Firefly in the future.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2009 at 21:19
I will post my photos on here when I get it. I'll be getting the Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40mm matte non-firefly reticle model btw. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic