OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Thinking about a 6X

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeemSTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinking about a 6X
    Posted: August/19/2009 at 19:50

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum but from what Ive read I'm glad I found it, so my question is I've got a Winchester model 60 chambered in 7STW I'm considering a fixed 6X42 leupold with the mil-dot reticle seems to be the only fixed out there with that reticle unless you know any others? I'm using this rifle for western elk and mule deer hunting,after reading other topics on this forum considering the caliber,recoil and game a varible power might not be the way to go, your opinions would be helpful Thanks

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2009 at 20:19
  WELCOME to OT,G!!

A fixed 6X w/that type reticle would work fine for you although of course there are variables that would work also.  Other than the Leupold the only other one I can think of is a Meopta which has a shorter eye relief but has dots for windage comp:

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2009 at 20:45
IOR Valdada also makes a 6x42 with a 30 mm tube and their MP 8 reticle

Magnification ...............................................6x
Objective diameter ......................................42mm
Field of view @ 100 yards .............................24 feet
Exit pupil diameter .......................................7mm
Eye relief ....................................................4 inches
Diopter adjustment ......................................-4 to +4 DPT
Reticle adjustment range ..............................100 MOA
Click adjustment @ 100 Yards........................1/4 MOA
Tube diameter .............................................30mm
Length .........................................................13.5 inches
Weight .........................................................22 oz

Call SWFA and maybe they can find one for you.

Edited by sakomato - August/19/2009 at 20:46
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2009 at 08:16
I used a 6x burris FFII on an elk hunt a few years ago, while I made it work, my shot came in heavy cover @ 50yds.  I sure wish I could have turned the scope down to 3X.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2009 at 08:22
my old man still has a loopie m8-6x on his 30-06, its worthless in the woods though. if it were me i would probably get a 3x9 4200 elite, its recoil tested with my .375H&H just fine, so im sure it would handle your 7stw just fine. if you just gotta get a fixed scope i would get  a 4x zeiss conquest.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Black Squirrel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Squirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2009 at 08:28
I'd go with the Leupold VX-3 1.75-6x. You get your 6x for longer range shots, but also the ability to turn down low for shots in the woods and other shorter range hunting situations. The VX-3 has a type of power-ring range finding feature. Also, there are a variety of reticles available for this scope, including BDC reticles. Or, custom BDC turret can be installed. A lot of choices and options going Leupold.

It also has a 32mm objective, which is nice since you can mount it lower and get a better cheek weld.

GeemSTW View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeemSTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2009 at 18:42
Thanks everyone the info and links are greatly appreciated
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2009 at 05:55
Personally, I would get a 2.5-10X, 2-8X, 3-9X, 3-12X class variable for that rifle.  You'll be better served in a wider variety of environments, and I think 6X limits you a bit at the outer reaches of the 7STW's capability.  7STW recoil is not quite to the threshold that it should cause problems for a good variable with a reputation for durability.  If you are determined to get a fixed power, a 6X isn't a bad way to go; I just think a super flat shooting chambering like 7STW needs a scope that will take advantage of its versatility and reach.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic