OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold and Nikon Glass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.chappell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold and Nikon Glass
    Posted: August/19/2009 at 17:48
I have just read some information that I believe to be partially true and partially false. I was hoping that you guys here could clear up the whole thing for me.

"Leupold is an American company ,that uses Jap glass and parts .they also use China to supply glass and parts on the low end modles."

"Folks, Leupold does NOT make their own glass (and NEVER has).....NOR do they grind their own lenses. In fact, they BUY their lenses, made to their own specifications, from the Nikkor division of NIKON !!! (Nikkor is the division that makes the optical glass and lenses for all Nikon products, as well as for MANY other companies worldwide."

These are quotes from another forum.

I seem to remember speaking to a Leupold Rep that told me that all components of Leupold scopes (be it the Rifleman or VX 7) were manufactured by Leupold in the states.

Thanks

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2009 at 18:23
Get Your Popcorn Ready
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2009 at 19:39
Leupold DOES NOT make their own glass.  They buy it from Asia.  Which suppliers in Asia, I don't know.  I have had multiple Leupold reps tell me this.  The remaining components of their rifle scopes are made in their facility in Oregon.  This pertains to their rifle scopes only.  Some of their other products are made entirely in other countries.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
goat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2009 at 14:09
Was told they get it from whoever can fill the need, may be Asia, may be Germany but they use both.  Probaly use China as well.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2009 at 16:27
I am not aware of any German sourced glass in Leupold scopes.  All of their glass (I believe) comes from Pacific Rim countries: Japan, Korea and China.

I have never heard about sourcing glass for Nikkor.  I find it especially unlikely since, to the best of my knowledge, Nikon does not put their own glass into their riflescopes.  It is outsourced.

ILya
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2009 at 23:09
Nikon scopes are now made in the Philippines.  Leupold Customer Service is never going to come clean to their buying public about lens sources.  Certainly, not as long as they are a private company.  Mum's the word!

I heard that Weaver has been sold again, this time to ATK (CCI, Speer, Federal, etc.)  by Meade Optical, the company that mismanaged Redfield into the ground.  You guys would know if this is true.
CDR3
A-bar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 00:55

Weaver is back with ATK, Simmons I believe went to Bushnell and Redfield name was purchased  by Leupold. So Weaver is back in good hands I hope.

Alan
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 01:09
ATK also have Nitrex Scopes as well. seem to be pretty good scopes from what i have seen. Is there any scopes out there that  really  "all America made"?
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 01:40
I've heard from someone who works in the philippine kenko plant here  that the plant also provides lenses for leupold on an order basis. The same plant that makes scopes/lenses also on an order/contract basis for nikon as well as burris, bushnell, leica, and others. The plant is in the philippines but the owners are japanese foreign investors who are also said to own optic plants in Japan. Smile
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2009 at 13:06
Interesting to know.  I am not impressed with the new 2-8x32 Nikon Monarch but maybe I just got a bad one.
CDR3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic