OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Deer binos in the South

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BLKT6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deer binos in the South
    Posted: August/19/2009 at 15:17
I whitetail hunt in SC, where low light binos are important. I have a cheap pair of bushnell 10x42 currently. 4 of my friends use 8x56 Steiner nighthunter which were really bright and sharp to me. I have to stay in my stand and wait till their done because they can still see and i cant.
If I have to I will spend the $1000(max) on night hunters, but I would rather not. What other choices should I look at?

I wouldnt mind a little more magnification to see more details of their racks also. If i went 10x50 how much brightness would I give up or stay 8x?

I hunt a combination of woods and planted fields were long shots could happen.
Thanks
drgracer392 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drgracer392 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2009 at 15:58
take a look @ the 8x43 zenray ed2's........I just got a set and all i can say is WOW...!!!

under $400 new helps...
you can get them here  @ swfa

#1  very good in low light.
#2 very very clear......
#3 cheap compared to other high end bino's that are twice the price.

you won't find a better set for the price.....trust me I have looked and rersearched for monthsBig Grin
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drgracer392 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2009 at 16:01
ps..i'd put them up against 10x50's anyday.  They have a better FOV, and are crystal clear....
I'm in NC or in the south too as some call it.....I'm very happy with them.....
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drgracer392 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2009 at 16:03
check out this thread...

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=18448
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2009 at 20:37
I have a new pair of Zen Ray EDII's--unbelievable for the money--I hunted tonight and was able to sit on a beanfield until 856 pm and see deer!  Scope was long since useless!
308WIN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 09:16
SLCnew 7x42
Ick View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
ICK, Ed's BOY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 22:37

Oh, wait....... sorry.  Those binos are in the north.
--
Ick, Ed's boy,www.ick.bz
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 23:50
I no nothing of the Zen Ray ED bino's I am just getting back into the optics game so I am going to assume the ED is for ED Glass (Extra Low Dispersion).  I have a pair of Swift Audubons ED similar to the below link but the ED model is black in color.  I think they are the best kept secret out there. Perhaps it's because they are a poro design and now days everyone wants the look of a roof prism..but they are really good glass.

I also hunt with Swarovski 10x42 SLC which is great glass.  You mentioned hunting with a cheap pair of Bushnell binoculars.  One thing to keep in mind that you may not have to go to a huge objective with really good glass.  I have seen Leica 32mm objectives be brighter then $150.00 pair of binoculars that were 56mm in low light.

I love the Swifts I think they are a great bargin they are darn close to $1000 glass...from what I have been hearing Zen Ray and Vortex are making a names for themselves for good bargins as well.  Meaning that a good buy a Zen Ray, Vortex, Swift Audubon are still going to be $400-$500. There are good buys out there but there is no cheap shortcuts in optics.  The difference in a 89.00 of binoculars to a $400 pair is going to be HUGE.  The difference between a $400.00 to an $800.00 is going to be minimal  form $800 to $1400 that gap gets even smaller, with perhaps the only real advantage to the high end stuff is if your behind them for hours and hours then that high price becomes evident, that's why you see guides who may drive a ten year old truck, wear old hats and jackets but have one of the big three around their necks (Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski)

Edited by Acenturian - August/23/2009 at 00:01
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 15:48
Originally posted by drgracer392 drgracer392 wrote:

ps..i'd put them up against 10x50's anyday.  They have a better FOV, and are crystal clear....

yo
your avatar is highly distracting
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drgracer392 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2009 at 21:05
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

Originally posted by drgracer392 drgracer392 wrote:

yo
your avatar is highly distracting

YEH, I know...!!!!  Bow
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2009 at 15:11
Might check out some Minox Binos.  I found a pair of BL 8x42 BR's last year for around  $250 and am very pleased with them.  I hunt southern AR and these Binos are light and bright.  I know where there is a demo pair of BL 8x56 BR's for about $550 instead of the regular $800.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
308WIN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2009 at 07:40
please tell me who the girl is in your avatar?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic