OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.223 target scope options...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monaro_Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 01:55
Sorry dude but Im new to the shotting game... Whats an SS who makes it and what are they worth
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 02:43
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Rifle-Scopes-C187.aspx
Worth their weight in Gold.  But they are quiet reasonably priced.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Monaro_Man View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monaro_Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 03:12
Yeah that looks alright but I prefer the good ol duplex reticle, sorry dude. I just keep getting drawn to the Nikon for some reason, the only thing that scares me off them is the big ass eyebox, Im worried about the clearnce between it and the bolt, but I spose theres something about it that lets them keep the constant eye relief...
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2009 at 18:27
Thats what is so great about this stuff, different likes.  
If we all liked the same things, we would have one rifle, one rifle scope, and no need to sit around and talk about anything this stuff.  Get some ideas, Go with what you like and then we can continue to have great discussions.   Smile

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
sifusylvain View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sifusylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2009 at 22:24
Just had dinner with a friend who has lots of gun experience. He swears he has done everything from target to varmint to deer hunting with an old Marlin .22 magnum rifle that was one of his favourite guns.

.22 magnum? really?
Love and Respect,
Sifu Sylvain
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sifusylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2009 at 22:25
Oh and he also said that all the .223 ammo has been bought up by Uncle Sam...

Hey guys, is he a loon? or does he have good points?
Love and Respect,
Sifu Sylvain
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2009 at 10:22
It is not all bought up.  You can still get it, it is just like everything else gun related right now all of us worried about our government are buying like crazy.  Things are starting to show up again, I was at cabelas a few weeks back and they had tons of .223 stuff.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2009 at 11:23
Just bought 250 rounds from Midway USA... You can still get it, might take a day or two but its coming back....

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
gferrett View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gferrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 12:49
Hi 8shot;
Some years ago I pick up Savage model 12 in 223 when they first came out with that big lam. stock. I put an old Leupold 24X.scope with Redfield Mont's on it.
Went out to the rang and shot it at 200yd. with Rem . nickel brass,  Hornady 50gr VMax
bullet, Rem 7 1/2 primer and 27gr H335 [5] five shots one hole![.254] This. target is signed by two observers. I still have that rifle even though it is a right hand action.
ferrett
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sifusylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2009 at 20:38
that's what I'm talkin' about!!!!
Love and Respect,
Sifu Sylvain
hydroplane View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydroplane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 08:54
TRAYS...

Did you end up purchasing the SS 3-9x42 for your AR? If so, could you upload a picture, I'd love to see it. I've read some good posts about it and I'm considering it for my Smith&Wesson 15T.

Alot of pics I see show AR's with shorter or red dot scopes, I only plan on shooting my about 200 yards (due to lack of shooting areas in Maryland). Maybe I should wait to get the SS for when I get my Savage...
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 09:30
Originally posted by gferrett gferrett wrote:

Hi 8shot;
Some years ago I pick up Savage model 12 in 223 when they first came out with that big lam. stock. I put an old Leupold 24X.scope with Redfield Mont's on it.
Went out to the rang and shot it at 200yd. with Rem . nickel brass,  Hornady 50gr VMax
bullet, Rem 7 1/2 primer and 27gr H335 [5] five shots one hole![.254] This. target is signed by two observers. I still have that rifle even though it is a right hand action.
ferrett

Now that is what I have been striving for all these years. Glad to hear it can be done and I have not waisted all those years!
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 09:36
 I have a Bushmaster Predator 223 that is sub.5@100 all day but it is a $1500 gun. Also have a model 10FP savage with the thumbhole stock that will shoot just as well $600 with out scope.
 I am expecting a ss 20x42 today and am putting it on the savage, this is my second one going on a savage and have 2 more coming one for a new model 10fp in 7mm. I like the 20x because my eyes have hit 57+ and aint what they used to be.
froggy
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 09:44
 I forgot to mention if you would like a custom thumbhole try Richards microfit gunstocks he makes them to order for almost anything out there. They will use hard wood or laminate your choice with a 99% drop in fit.
 So that way you can buy the cheapest (read tupperware stocked savage) and still get your thumbhole and a SS scope and stay under your original$$.
froggy
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 10:01
Originally posted by rjtfroggy rjtfroggy wrote:

I forgot to mention if you would like a custom thumbhole try Richards microfit gunstocks he makes them to order for almost anything out there. They will use hard wood or laminate your choice with a 99% drop in fit.
 So that way you can buy the cheapest (read tupperware stocked savage) and still get your thumbhole and a SS scope and stay under your original$$.
Thanks for the lead Roger!  I love the Lamy thumbhole stock on my 12BTV .223 and would like to get one for my Savage 110FP that has the flimsy synthetic stock and is still 0.75MOA out of the box like that!

Does Richards have a website?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 10:29
 I put it in and hope the mods. don't delete seeing as how they are not a competitor.
froggy
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 16:19
 I just came off the Savage web sight and if you go there you will see they make 5-6 thumbhole rifles right from the factory. Ranging in price from $700-$1200 take your pick.
froggy
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 16:45
Yeap they sure do!  Most in the gray lamy which I don't really care for.  I found a 12BTV blued with natural brown lamy thumbhole stock in 223 at gumbrokers for $700.  It was NIB but 2 years old (new old stock) when I bought it a few months ago.

I like it so much I want to put a Lamy thumbhole on my 110FP in 270WIN and get rid of the synthetic POS thats on it now.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 16:57
My 110Fp in 270Win is a sportster barrel all blued action and barrel.  It cost a whopping $377 from Wally World with a cheap 3-9X40 Simmons scope on it.  Threw away the simmons, scored a deal on a 2.5-10X40 Bushnell Elite 4200 for $300 and she stays inside 0.75MOA as long as I pay attention even with a pretty flimsy forestock.  Drop that action and barrel into a nice Lamy stock for $75-150 and I'll bet my last dollar she'll hold 0.5MOA or better.
--Thomas Jefferson

rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2009 at 06:24
Bud I had to go to Richard's because they were the only ones that offer the stock for the long action right now.
 Stocky's out of Fla. has 1 but it is in red/beige and I didn't like it, but their supplier (SK) just got bought out by Remington and they don't know if stocks for other brands will be made anymore.
 Also Boyds only makes sporter contour barrel channels and too much wood would need to be removed for a bull barrel.
 You can get one made for as little as $149 or a lot more depending on what you want at Richards. I can't give a report on quality or fit yet because they are 6 weeks out from delivery as of Monday.
froggy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic