OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kampfeld Custom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kampfeld Custom
    Posted: August/18/2009 at 11:31

It seems we hear about negative customer service more often than positive customer service.  I want to share a very positive customer service experience with you.

I recently had Karl Kampfeld of Kampfeld Custom apply a synthetic stock finish and install one of his bolt knobs on a rifle.  I couldn't have asked for a better transaction all around.  1 WEEK after shipping my stock and bolt to Karl, I received them back with the work completed!  He quoted a 1 week turnaround over the phone, but I've grown so accustomed to things taking longer than expected that I didn't give this much thought.  He was good to his word, and he couldn't have been a friendlier person to talk to!  He also did a great job, and his pricing was VERY reasonable!

If you are interested in custom barrel and bolt fluting, stock refinishing, metal finishes, custom bolt knobs, and similar services, I highly recommend giving Karl a call.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2009 at 11:48

I've heard nothing but positive reports on his work and his work ethics.

So where are the pics,Ted?

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2009 at 17:16
No Pics
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2009 at 17:39
Good to know thanks Ted.
Duce  Smile
Duce
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2009 at 17:50
I don't think that I have ever heard one negative remark about Kampfeldcustom. He does some great fluting on barrels and bolts as well.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2009 at 22:52
Ok, the specifics:

Stiller Predator action
Shilen 23" #3 contour bbl, chambered in .30-06 (wanted an "all Texas" barreled action for this oneWink)
Williams bottom metal
Armoloy metal finish (on matte silver parts)
Leupold "Dual Dovetail" medium bases and rings
Rifle Basix trigger, 2.5 lbs.
McMillan "Remington Classic" stock

Kampfeld installed his "Campfire Ringed" knob in place of the much smaller knob that came with the action (Stiller bolt knobs are threaded onto the end of the bolt handle, so they can be readily changed to a different style).  Kampfeld finished the stock with black and silver spider webbing over gray background.  I felt this combination would look good with the silver barreled action / black bolt and scope rings (and eventually, scope) combination.

I haven't yet decided which scope I will mount on this rifle.

Edited by RifleDude - August/18/2009 at 22:53
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2009 at 23:28
That's a home run Ted. Love the silver/black contrast. Was the bolt/rings done in Cerakote? Williams FP done in Armaloy? Who's magazine box and follower did you use?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2009 at 05:47
That combination of colors works great. That is very nice.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2009 at 06:08
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

That's a home run Ted. Love the silver/black contrast. Was the bolt/rings done in Cerakote? Williams FP done in Armaloy? Who's magazine box and follower did you use?

The bolt is black iron nitride, as it comes from Stiller.  Not sure what Kampfeld used for the finish on the knob; I'm guessing either Cerakote or anodizing.  I just asked him to match the bolt with any durable finish.  Rings are the standard black matte Leupold finish, though bases are finished in Armoloy.  Williams FP is in Armoloy.  Magazine box is a Wyatt Outdoors extended; follower and spring is stock Rem 700.

The bolt knob is the second one from the left in this picture...

My one and only complaint about the Stiller Predator is I thought the stock bolt knob on the standard hunting version of the action was a little too... dainty and feminine-looking.

Some may ask "why just a boring ol' .30-06?"  With all the rifle chamberings I have already, the only .30-06 I have is in my dad's old sporterized '03 Springfield, so I wanted an all-weather rifle in the classic war horse.

Edited by RifleDude - August/19/2009 at 22:22
Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2009 at 06:18
looks great ted!!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2009 at 07:21
  You (and of course Karl) did it,Ted!  All the components and their colors compliment each other.  Seems the silver webbing on the stock actually matches the silver metal finish.  
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2009 at 07:33
Awesome rifle man !! Thanks for the info. , I need to get a tactical knob put on my XCR compact and will probably give him a call !!

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2009 at 07:43
 And if we do,we'll post pics,right?   Bucky
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2009 at 09:11
That is a nice setup, Ted, how does she shoot?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2009 at 09:47
 Thunbs Up  Well thought out Ted!  She looks be be a mean shooter.  The stock job really does compliment the barrel & bolt very well!  Hurry up and decide on the glass so we can
have complete pictures with a range report.  Excellent

Edited by budperm - August/19/2009 at 09:48
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2009 at 14:07
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

That is a nice setup, Ted, how does she shoot?

Haven't shot it yet.  I just finished the rifle, and haven't mounted a scope on it yet.

Thanks for the kind words, gents!
Ted

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2009 at 17:17

Now all that's left is to chop the barrel to 20 inches!

Hey, Anybody who is Anybody seems to be doing that these days. Long barrels are SO Yesterday....
  YAWN...
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2009 at 18:21
  I'm an Anybody!!!!!!!    Yippee
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2009 at 18:47
 Well of course you are Earl!
TexasPhotog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasPhotog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 09:02
That is one sweet looking rifle.  Please do let us know how it shoots!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic