OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

MOA Base/Mounts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MOA Base/Mounts
    Posted: August/17/2009 at 19:39
What are the purpose of MOA Base/Mounts? i see them in 20moa & 30 moa. are they giving u another 20/30 Moa? 
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2009 at 20:10
 Such a base slopes slightly forward by the angle indicated by the manufacturer (10, 20 or 30 Minutes of Angle), being measurably closer to the line of the rifle's bore at the front (muzzle) end of the base than it is at the rear of the base, (near the shooter's face.)
 This also tips the scope tube an equal amount, so that instead of being parallel to the bore as a conventional mount is, it is angled to the bore slightly. You will then need to use up that much less of the scope's internal adjustment range to get sighted in at longer ranges.
  For example, a given scope may run completely out of "up" elevation at only 600 yards, whereas even a 10 MOA base may gain him an additional several hundred yards, depending on caliber, load, etc.
 The downside of having such a base is that it's possible to run out of "down" elevation when shooting at closer distances.
 In other words, find out how much you need, based on your particular scope and shooting distances, and choose carefully.
 Do the math before purchasing, if you can.

hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2009 at 11:55
thanks Ronk.. kind of what i thought just wasn't to sure.
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
kansas45 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansas45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 11:49
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Such a base slopes slightly forward by the angle indicated by the manufacturer (10, 20 or 30 Minutes of Angle), being measurably closer to the line of the rifle's bore at the front (muzzle) end of the base than it is at the rear of the base, (near the shooter's face.)
 This also tips the scope tube an equal amount, so that instead of being parallel to the bore as a conventional mount is, it is angled to the bore slightly. You will then need to use up that much less of the scope's internal adjustment range to get sighted in at longer ranges.
  For example, a given scope may run completely out of "up" elevation at only 600 yards, whereas even a 10 MOA base may gain him an additional several hundred yards, depending on caliber, load, etc.
 The downside of having such a base is that it's possible to run out of "down" elevation when shooting at closer distances.
 In other words, find out how much you need, based on your particular scope and shooting distances, and choose carefully.
 Do the math before purchasing, if you can.

So.......will the fat end of the rail be towards the muzzle, with the thin end closer to the shooters face, or is it the other way around?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 12:00
Other way around, tilting toward the muzzle, that way you get more of your elevation range for actual elevation adjustment.

But be careful, if you get a scope with limited elevation (like 40 MOA range) and mount it on a 20MOA base, you might bottom out the elevation before you are on target - and that is bad.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
kansas45 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansas45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 12:16
Thin end to the muzzle it is, then. This scope, WOTAC, has 80 MOA.
Thanks for your answer Rancid Coolaid!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 12:23
Here to help, let us know how it works out.

And pictures never go unappreciated!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 12:37
 Rancid is correct, confirming what I meant when I posted this earlier: 

Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

...snip...

kansas45 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansas45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2009 at 19:07
Here is what I ended up with on my Tikka T-3 Varmint. A EGW 20 MOA rail attatched to a ArmaLite EX0022 30 MM mount holding a WOTAC 4-14x50 scope.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic