OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low light scope test 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low light scope test 2
    Posted: August/15/2009 at 10:31
My wife (also a serious hunter) and I did another low light comparison of several scopes last night. Conditions were perfect to check them out in actual hunting conditions. It was dark with no lighting changes. We were viewing a corn feeder (141yds which is about the maximum I would ever shoot at a hog in the dark) we have set-up accross the lake in front of our TX ranch house. The feeder was iluminated by a Texas Boars LED Big Red light which illuminates well enough for a precise shot if you have good optics.

Except for the Zeiss, Mueller and Hawke we were comparing scopes that I had successfully used and knew to be more than satisfactory for low light/night hog and varmint hunting. We ranked them on two criteria. #1 Optical clarity/quality, basically how well we could see back into the wooded shadows behind the feeder. #2 How well we could place a killing shot on one of the three 130#-150# hogs that were feeding under the feeder. This took into account how well the optics and reticle worked under real hunting conditions.

Joyce and I both pretty much agreed as we compared the scopes numerous times. Here's how we ranked them and some after action comments:

#1 Optical quality/clarity

Zeiss Victory 2.5-10x50 illuminated #40 (German #4 with illuminated dot)
Trijicon 2.5-10x56 duplex with green tritium dot
Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x50 illuminated German #4
Trijicon 3-9x40 duplex with amber tritium dot (Tie)
Hawke Eclipse 2.5-10x50 german #4 with red illuminated dot (Tie)
Mueller 2.5-10x44 german #4 with red illuminated dot (Tie)
Simmons AETEC 2.5-10x44 illuminated (almost in the tie above, sooo close)
Leupold VX 3 3.5-10x50 HDPX

#2 Precision of shot placement

Trijicon 2.5-10x56 duplex with green tritium dot
Hawke Eclipse 2.5-10x50 german #4 with red illuminated dot (Tie)
Mueller 2.5-10x44 german #4 with red illuminated dot (Tie)
Simmons AETEC 2.5-10x44 illuminated
Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x50 illuminated German #4
Trijicon 3-9x40 duplex with amber tritium dot
Zeiss Victory 2.5-10x50 illuminated #40 (German #4 with illuminated dot)
Leupold VX 3 3.5-10x50 HDPX

Observations

Neither of us could tell a difference between the scopes marked (Tie). The Simmons, Hawke and Mueller made a VERY impressive showing, especially when you consider the cost of the scopes they were being compared to! The Trijicon green tritium works much better under actual hunting conditions than the amber. All the illuminated scopes had very crisp and usable illuminated crosshairs or dots except the Zeiss. The dot on the Zeiss did not have crisp edges and was not a true red, somewhere between red and pink. Also I like the illumination on/off and intensity setting the least on the Zeiss and best on the Hawke and Mueller. Obviously The Trijicon has the best mousetrap hands down. None of the scopes showed any signs of internal tube flare when the intensity was properly adjusted for the lighting conditions. The 1" Simmons, Mueller and Trijicon 3-9 have an advantage in the size and weight category.

Bottom line

If you just go on performance and don't factor in price/value the clear winner was the Trijicon 2.5-10x56. The clear looser was the Zeiss Victory (what a bummer, this is the most expensive scope I have ever bought!!!) and the Leupold VX 3. For all practical hunting purposes we couldn't tell any substantial difference between the Simmons, Mueller, Hawke, Trijicon 3-9 or Bushnell 4200. However if you factor in price/value the Hawke, Simmons, Mueller and Bushnell 4200 are the winners. At a street price of around $200. the Simmons, Mueller and Hawke are VERY impressive indeed.

Bottom, bottom line

If price is no object we feel the Trijicon 2.5-10x56 is the best low light hunting scope we have checked out/used.

If you are a value shopper then you just can't go wrong with the Simmons, Mueller or Hawke. So far I have only used the Simmons in the field enough to know it's a tough scope that holds zero. If the Hawke Eclipse is as tough as the Endurance 30s I have used it will do just fine. The Mueller is on my coon gun a Ruger 10-22 so has not really been tested for durability yet.

The big and heavy Bushnell 4200 is still a good value for the money and as most of us know they are near indestructable...............

Just our opinions and not very scientific, but we hunt in low light and at night a lot and know what to look for and what works in the field. For daytime use I am quite happy with all of these.
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 10:52
Good informative post Bill, things sure can change when the lights go down.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 10:54
Very interesting comments. I've always liked the Bushy Elites and have been eyeing the Trijicon's as well. Thanks for your thoughts.Yippee
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 11:05

Excellent VERY GOOD read.

I'm glad the Simmons has worked out for you(although I'm not surprised).  I was just GIVEN a new Simmons MS Pro Hunter 6x40 and although I haven't shot with it yet I'm impressed with its optics,eye relief,eye box,and strong positive click adjustments. 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 12:05
I forgot to mention, all scopes were set on 8x which is the maximum I ever use in low light.
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
ALACRANESTEPARIO View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALACRANESTEPARIO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 12:21
I think is normal there were differences  because you use objetives from 50 to 56 mm . Maybe you would have to use a Leupold VX·3 with 56 mm like the Trijicon and sure your test would change .
Sorry but I think there is a failure in yor test , the TRIJICON with 56 and another one with 50 mm .
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALACRANESTEPARIO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 12:25
I'm from Spain and here we hunts at night only with moonlight  . I know what there are a lot differences with the objetives diameters .
56 mm is more bigger than the 40 mm that you use in your test . Better is you use the same diameter .
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 13:13
Originally posted by ALACRANESTEPARIO ALACRANESTEPARIO wrote:

I think is normal there were differences  because you use objetives from 50 to 56 mm . Maybe you would have to use a Leupold VX·3 with 56 mm like the Trijicon and sure your test would change .
Sorry but I think there is a failure in yor test , the TRIJICON with 56 and another one with 50 mm .

There's a lot more to it than objective diameter. As far as brightness/light gathering as I mentioned the 50mm Zeiss is actually brighter than the 56mm Trijicon and the 50mm Bushnell is almost as bright. I also have a Hawke Endurance 30 2.5-10x56, it is not as bright as most of the 44mm scopes I tested last night and not as bright as the Hawke Eclipse with 50mm lens even though the Eclipse is a lower priced scope.
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALACRANESTEPARIO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 13:27
I'm sure that there is more than diameters but if you have differences before you start your test you will have after that , I want to say that I think is better if you take similar objetives and similar quality scopes ( sure the Zeiss with 50 is better than TRijicon with 56 mm ) for comparing .
And I think that the Leupy VX·3 with 56 mm would change all yours results ; it's only my opinion .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic