OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

BLACK TARGETS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melloroadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BLACK TARGETS
    Posted: August/14/2009 at 22:14
I have been using the NRA 100 yard rim fire targets . My question is With that big black circle are they more apt to mirage the  target than a white target with a simple red dot for a bulls eye . Marvin
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 22:17
No, I don't think so.  In my experience when the mirage gets bad it really doesn't matter what your target color to background is.  Although, with the red I seem to be able to pick out bullet holes easier. IMHO

Edited by Steelbenz - August/14/2009 at 22:17
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
big boar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big boar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 22:36

I find the blaze orange targets are good if you're using a scope but are the worst to use for open/peep sights. They seem to be hazy on the outter edge. The reds are only a bit better. Black is good at any range with open/peep but is difficult to see the bullet holes even with a scope at longer range. Royal blue is, in my opinion, the best for open/peep/scope at any range. I get it form art/craft stores or printing shops and cut it to the sizes/shapes I like. It doesn't blurr at the edges, is dark enough to easily see yet bullet holes are easy to see. For scopes I like to keep the target as small as possible and place it on a white backing. You almost don''t need a spotting scope for the holes. For rapid fire, open sights from 50-100yds a 6-8" circle or square is good for large bore. For most 22's from 50-100yds a 1-2" circle is good using a scope, 4-6" using peep sights.

melloroadman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melloroadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 23:11
I have been using the NRA target at 65 yards with aperture sights front and rear . And today there were a couple of times the black target looked like it was oblong on the bottom and from that point in time my poi moved up .Marvin
big boar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big boar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 18:28
If your front aperture is to small it will cause visual problems especially when the lighting isn't perfect.  I've had that problem using a small apt front when I was trying to get the bestest accuracy wise. When I used the next size up the problem went away. Also are you holding the shot for a long period of time. If so you will have a small amount of eye strain even thought you don't feel it. If you have to hold for a slightly long time, like if your heart won't stop pulsing, shift your focus to something else for a sec or 3, just enough time to allow your eye to stop straining. Don't move your head , just look to the right of your rear sight, at the ground. You'd be surprized at what your eyes will distort if they have to stare at anything for a longish period.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melloroadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 22:33
Aperture is 4 mm but eye strain might have been part of it . I try and get on target then close my eye and let it rest then focus again but know that I think about it I don't think I did those few times . Thanks Marvin
big boar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big boar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 23:22
I don't know if I'd actually close my eys. Ever notice when you open your eyes, even though rested, it takes a bit to regain focus. I may be nit picking but I think if you just glance elsewhere and allow your eye to rest for a sec or 2 and don't really focus on anything, then resight, the eyes are not stained and will focus sharply. Just being picky but I use to shoot a lot of smallbore with aperture sights and even though my vision was superb, till about 5 years ago. I was in the habit of glancing right and down and letting my eye not focus on ANYTHNG, then resighting. This worked very well for me.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melloroadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2009 at 13:23
I tried a 3 inch red bull on white today and under the conditions I am shooting in things remained about the same . mARVIN
big boar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big boar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2009 at 21:00
If you can clearly see the target (say it's 2") try increasing the size (1 step up) of your front aperture, not increasing the size of the target. What I'm trying to get at is if your front sight only allows a minimum of light around the target you'll get poor visual clarity.  I personally would rather have a SLIGHTLY larger ap rather than a slightly small. (Get the idea?) NOTHING is more important than your FRONT sight being as sharp as possible even at the expense of the target being slightly blurred. If the front is not sharp, you need a visual aid, a diopter lense. Remember, rear can be fuzzy, target can be fuzzy, front sight MUST be sharp. Open up 1 size and see how you make out.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melloroadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2009 at 22:24
I have tried several aperture sizes and the problem is sun rotation and mirages . I don't even have to look at my watch to see what time it is any more . I can tell by were my poi shifted too . This gun range is bad but it is teaching me a lot about shooting thats for sure . I will just have to learn how to move with it and become a real shooter . Marvin
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2009 at 04:35
The thread header is misleading.....what a dissapointment!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2009 at 13:18
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

The thread header is misleading.....what a dissapointment!

Your badRoll on Floor Laughing
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic