OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

HELP! Leupold vs SS Variable

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2009 at 11:26
No question. The 3-9 Super Sniper is better value.
Mike
Stgraves260 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stgraves260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 16:33
I don't know exactly what kinda rifle your building. But I do have the tasco SS 10x42m. It is a great scope. Now down to biss. The leupold 3.5-10x40 1st focal plane scope is good but!! If you put it on 10 power the cross hairs and the mill dots are pretty big and blocks some field of view. It has 90 moas of adjustment. And 1/4 moas of adjustmint. My tasco has 142 moas adjustmint and it is also 1/4 moas of adjustmint. I can focus on my front door knob of my house at midnight with no lite what so ever from 10ft away. That's good enough for me. Now in the daylight I took a pic from a calender of a deer and kept walkin back from it untill 1.5 mill dots of my scope was used. That duplated a 1000yrd shot of a deer. I could not shoot it in the eye but easaly do a shoulder or neck shot. The addvantage of the new ss varriable is that it has 1/3 moas addjustmint. That means if you put on bdc turret you can reach just over 1000yrds with a 7mag insted of 700yrds with one revolution. That's sweet. Now about a scope you didn't mention. The leatherwoods. I'm lookin at the 4-16x50 hi-lux uni-dial. Mil dot 1/2 moas adjustmint. It should take me out to 1200yrds with one revolution. And it's only $300 from competitor. Ask for the one with the 30mm tube and not the 1" tube. I hope this helps. The leupold is a good scope but the tasco and leatherwood would save alot of money and do just fine.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/07/2009 at 01:24
Don't worry about the thangs you can't change.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 17:02
The new SS variable actually has mil adjustments, while yes they are about 1/3 MOA they are not MOAs they are 1/10 mil.

Also the quality of Leatherwood scopes is debatable.  I have heard a lot more bad about those scopes than good. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stgraves260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 17:15
I agree. I don't know much about the leatherwoods. But they have been makin rifle scopes for 100 yrs. I just found that out today. I didn't know they been out that long. I am thankin about gettin one just to test it but only because of the 1/2 moa's. I'm also lookin at the ttc turrets and tryin to find out how hard it is to put the yardage on there for 2 revolutions and not just one. I don't want the turret to look to busy. It needs to be read fast. If it's easy to read then I will just get another tasco ss 10-42m. Cause I really like it.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stgraves260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 17:43
Man I wish I had $3000 to spend on just a scope. That thang is sweet!! I just have a rem 260 shootin the 130grn nosler custom. I addjusted the triger down to 2lbs myself. My acuracy improved. Then I glass bedded and free flotted it myself too. And that helped. Now I have a limb saver anti muzle jumper on the berrel. Or what ever the hell it's called. Lol. It works anyway. I can shoot a 16" baloon at 1000yrds with factory ammo. The nosler bullets I use very about 10 - 15 ft per second. Not great but ok I guess. I want to put on a 26" med hvy berrel with a 1 and 8 twist. From what I have read the 6.5 likes that. And not the factory 1@ 10 from Remington. I can't wait for HSM to come out with the 130grn burger vld's for my 260. I really want to try them. Because of the bc of those my little 260 will still have enough to drop a dear at 1000yrds. But I will have to kill some 10" - 12" balloons first out in the field befor I try anythang like that on game.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 18:04
Originally posted by Stgraves260 Stgraves260 wrote:

I can't wait for HSM to come out with the 130grn burger vld's for my 260. I really want to try them. Because of the bc of those my little 260 will still have enough to drop a dear at 1000yrds. But I will have to kill some 10" - 12" balloons first out in the field befor I try anythang like that on game.

Welcome to Optics Talk.

Friend, I hope the only thing your shooting at is indeed balloons and not "dears". Unless of course the "dears" your referring to is my ex wife while she holds a balloon and then...fire at will and I'll come there and spot for ya.  
(I jest, of course.) Bandito  

1000 yard shots at big game animals is seriously frowned upon on this and most other forums. Not trying to bag on you right out of the gate, but I feel it's inappropriate to even suggest trying it.

Edited by cheaptrick - September/06/2009 at 18:22
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stgraves260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 18:22
Sorry about the spelling. It's my cell phone. I ment deer. And yes I am a crapy speller too to boot. I wasn't tryin to offend anyone about long range hunting. It's being do all over the world. I can't change that. I can only try my best to help people with the questions they ask. Droppin deer, elk, moose and even black bear has been done at and beyond 1000yrds. One shot one kills. But use the right cal rifle. Be as fair to the game as possable. People kill deer with 22-250s and 220 swifts all day at 300 and 400 yrds. My 260 has more energy at 1000yrds then a 22-250 does at 400yrds.   That is the only reason I may take that shot. But not untill I know me and my rifle are ready to do so.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 18:24
Many hope for a 1000 yard shot on game, till they try 1000 yard shot on a non-moving target.

1,000 yards is longer than most people think - especially when trying to deliver something the size of a pencil tip over that range with an degree of precision and/or accuracy.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stgraves260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 18:40
Yea it is a very far shot. I know. I'm tryin to help some friends of mine out in cisco shoot long range. I have been tellin them do not shoot at game untill there rifle and themself are ready for it. One of my friends is makin me mad because he thinks his 22-250 will kill a hog at 1000yrds. I'm not into hurtin animals and them walkin away and diein 2 - 3 days later. He thanks because his bullet is travelin at 4300 fps " hand loads " he will have more energy than my 2850fps bullet. I have been tryin to explane to him BC. But not much sucksess. Sorry for the spellin guys. " ADD " I'm still workin on that. I shoot much better then I spell. Lol!!!
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 20:55
 Here's a suggestion:
 Do your 1000-yard shooting at paper targets on a rifle range.

Do your hunting of creatures that bleed, a lot closer than that- like maybe 300 yards or less.

Life would be a lot less messy during hunting seasons if everyone took that advice to heart...
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stgraves260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 20:58
I understand bro.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stgraves260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 21:07
I wasn't tryin to affend anyone. Sorry. I have all ready done 1 shot kills. 600yrds
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 21:09
 I appreciate you saying that. 
 I was expecting a big argument, which is what I often get when I try to talk guys out of extreme long-range hunting.
 No harm in practicing those skills on paper, in fact it is very admirable to do so, but as you do, you'll realize more and more that it is seldom neither necessary nor advisable in the real world to take such shots on big game animals.
 Peace, Man!
   Smoking
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stgraves260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 21:14
No prob. There is some really cool people on hear and I like the site. There is no reason to be rude to people.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 21:17
Originally posted by Stgraves260 Stgraves260 wrote:

There is no reason to be rude to people.

Who's rude to you??  
I think I'm just going to mozy out of this thread before this gets rolling.   Roll Eyes

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stgraves260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 21:20
No it's cool. No one was rude at all.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 22:08

Cheaptrick- I think Stgraves 260 meant that he didn't see any reason to be rude or to argue with my suggestion to avoid long-range hunting, (as I had previously mentioned  that many others seem prone to do so... )

No harm on this end, anyway.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stgraves260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 22:11
No cheap tricks. Just staytin what I have all ready done.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stgraves260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 22:14
Everyone has there own opinion that's all. No harm.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 01:30
Dude I hunt with a Bow all I can say is walk closer because if you shoot at a deer at a thousand yards here you just shot over ten or twelve other ones that were closer.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic