OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

TR24G,how to range?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TR24G,how to range?
    Posted: August/14/2009 at 00:21
HI,

I am wondering on the TR24 1-4 scope how would one range with the triangle.If zeroed at the tip,being 100 yards,would middle of triangle be 200 yards and bottom be 300 yards? where would one hold triangle for a 400 yard shot? Thanks,Kev

nightowl View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 20:59
HI,

If anyone here use a tr24 for 3 gun meets or just have one how do you use the triangle for drop at different distance,100,200,300 etc?,Kev
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 21:10
 I don't have one, but I think that would be a very poor reticle to use for holdover, maybe one of the worst, actually.
 Rancid Coolaid and Urimaginaryfrnd know more about them than I do. You might want to shoot them a Private Message if they don't jump in here soon...
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2009 at 16:28
Green Triangle Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR24G
  • Matte
  • Green Triangle
  • 30mm
$764.95 
Add Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart 
Kev the answer is more complicated than  you might initially think.  As  you know the trajectory is different not only for each different caliber but for each different weight of bullet that can be shot out of that caliber and each different powder charge that you can load each bullet at.  First select a caliber then select a specific weight bullet and then spend some time with it on the range.  

To complicate the issue the reticle is in the second focal plane and while the reticle appears to remain the same size when you zoom from 1x to 4x the field of view changes and you can see that as you zoom in less area is covered side to side in the scope.  Accordingly how much distance  the triangle top to bottom will represent at a known distance say 100 yds  will change as you zoom from 1x to 4x.  I dont know off the top of my head how many moa the triangle is on that scope but you can call Trijicon and ask them  the dimensions of the triangle in MOA (minute of angle).  They really should include that info with their scopes.
Do you understand that MOA (minute of angle) is the measure of an angle like a piece of pie where you start from one point with two lines going out and when they get to 100 yds they are 1 inch apart and at 200 yds they are 2 inches apart at three hundred they are 3 inches apart and so on? Look at this where they gave the dimensions this is the type of info you are looking for.
http://swfa.com/Trijicon-1x24-Reflex-II-Dual-Illuminated-Sight-P509.aspx    If it was like the reflex with 12.9 moa top to bottom  and you selected a Federal 69g .223
Long Range
Load No
Caliber
50 Y
100 Y
200 Y
300 Y
400 Y
500 Y
GM223M
223 Rem. (5.56x45mm)
With the tip of the triangle being 200   and at 300  (8.1 divided by 12.9) say .6 down just below center of the triangle would be 300.   So for 400  you are 24.1 down from the top tip or (24.1 minus 12.9 = 11.2)  say almost an entire second  triangle below the tip.

What I do is zero at 300  with the tip of the triangle and know that if I hold bottom of the black NRA 200 yd target at 200 I should be hitting center.  Since people are built up and down trajectory out to 400 yds is such that you are going to get something. Past that the .223 is the wrong caliber.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2009 at 16:41
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

I don't have one, but I think that would be a very poor reticle to use for holdover, maybe one of the worst, actually.
 Rancid Coolaid and Urimaginaryfrnd know more about them than I do. You might want to shoot them a Private Message if they don't jump in here soon...

It's not that its great for hold over so much as it makes the eye track the reticle very rapidly coming on target due to the bindon aiming concept.  As for trajectory we are talking about 9 inches difference from 100 to 300 yds on a target that is probably bigger than 9 inches so while it matters some is doesnt matter as much as if we were talking bench rest.  The idea is to be able to hit a man size target very quickly at distances that vary out to 300 yds.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
nightowl View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2009 at 14:36
HI,

Thanks for the help,I am looking to put something on my XCR-M,308,when they come out soon. I hear good things about the TR-24,so maybe I will look into ordering BDC turrets from Kenton and be able to adjust that way?,Kev
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic