OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which rifle??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 08:13
Unless you're planning on hunting the big bears your calibre choices are fine along with the 30.06 suggestion.  As others have suggested some will recoil more than others so may depend on your tolerance and experience.  All are nice rifles but you really need to handle all to see what feels most comfortable in your hands.

Moose hurt pretty easy and don't forget that in Finland they are often hunted with the old 6.5x55 so don't worry about being undergunned with your choices.

Don't try to fit all possible combinations with 1 rifle now.  You have time ahead of you and collecting guns is a great pastime!
God save the Empire!
K.I.A. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K.I.A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 17:08
thanks all for the input. Very good information. I went to the local gun shop today and held and asked a few questions to the staff. Now disregarding some of the staffs sales BS, i really liked the feel of Rem. M700 CDL, really loved the looks and how it felt coming up to my shoulder, however i believe that the trigger pull is set to about 7 pounds, which im not really a big fan of but i guess that's an easy fix for a gun smith.

For the caliber choice i never really considered 30-06, so i think im going to do more reasearch on that. Thanks all.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 17:12
Originally posted by K.I.A. K.I.A. wrote:

thanks all for the input. Very good information. I went to the local gun shop today and held and asked a few questions to the staff. Now disregarding some of the staffs sales BS, i really liked the feel of Rem. M700 CDL, really loved the looks and how it felt coming up to my shoulder, however i believe that the trigger pull is set to about 7 pounds, which im not really a big fan of but i guess that's an easy fix for a gun smith.

For the caliber choice i never really considered 30-06, so i think im going to do more reasearch on that. Thanks all.

the m700 trigger is easily adjusted, just keep that in mind. i really like my m700cdl too. my trigger is set at about 3.5lbs.

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 17:51
  The CDL fits ya?  That priority one.

Ever shot a .30-06,K.I.A.?

Thunbs Up   Thunbs Up on your CDL,pyro!!!!!!   NICE wood!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 18:10
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Yep, nice stick Pyro.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
K.I.A. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K.I.A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 18:52
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

The biggest caliber i have ever shot was a 7mm rem mag.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 19:08
On the rifle choice, pick the one that feels best to you.  All 3 of your finalists are well made and will last multiple lifetimes.  You can't make a bad choice there.

The same really applies to the caliber choices so far.  For the "all-around" rifle you describe, I would go for either 7mm Rem Mag, .30-06, or .300 Win Mag.  All 3 are adequate for all North American game.  Each of those 3 have their virtues.  The 7 is flatter shooting than the -06 and has less recoil than the .300, about the same recoil as the -06.  With a good, controlled expansion 160 gr bullet, it will take anything on the continent with good bullet placement.  The -06 is a very versatile, classic round that has withstood the test of time, so a huge variety of ammo is available everywhere if you don't handload.  The same basically applies to the 7 and .300 as well, but not to the same degree as .30-06.  If you do handload, there is a wide variety of .308" bullets available and brass is readily available.  The .300 is a tad better suited to the largest North American critters, and is as flat shooting as the 7.  It has the greatest recoil of the 3, but you can use lighter loads for when you aren't going after the big stuff.  You really can't go wrong with any of the 3.

Your recoil tolerance might be the best deciding factor.  If recoil bothers you, I would go with the 7 or .30-06.  If recoil is not a problem, I would get the .300.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
K.I.A. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K.I.A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 20:43
I do plan on hand reloading and ive been told that finding brass would not be a problem for the 30 cal. Ive never really been afraid of recoil; maybe afraid isnt the right word here but you get what im driving at. With that said i think im going to go with the Rem M700 CDL in 300 win mag.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 21:29
Great Choice!!  Excellent
Good Luck!

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 21:49
Originally posted by K.I.A. K.I.A. wrote:

I do plan on hand reloading and ive been told that finding brass would not be a problem for the 30 cal. Ive never really been afraid of recoil; maybe afraid isnt the right word here but you get what im driving at. With that said i think im going to go with the Rem M700 CDL in 300 win mag.

nice thing about the .300 is that its known to be very accurate. mine is for sure.

Edited by pyro6999 - August/14/2009 at 21:49
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 07:34
Good choice KIA - use it well!
God save the Empire!
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2009 at 22:14

Good choice... Need photos

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2009 at 10:48
Originally posted by swtucker swtucker wrote:

I'd get the Sako in .300 wm.

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2009 at 11:39
Obviously you need to select the one that fits you the best. All of the ones you described are (or can be) fine weapons. I can tell you this, I have a Sako 75 that fit, finish and function wise, is a wonderful rifle. BTW, mine is a 30-06 which is a great choice IMO.  Yippee
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic