OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which rifle??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K.I.A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which rifle??
    Posted: August/13/2009 at 19:19
hi all, I am some what new to the sport of hunting, however i have been shooting on and off for the better part of my 20 years on this earth. This season coming up will be my second season of hunting, my question is, which rifle and caliber would best suit my situations. I hunt anything from deer to moose and anything in between. Ive been doing much research and have narrowed it down to 3 rifles and 2 calibers. Browning X-Bolt Medallion, Remington Model 700 CDL and the Sako 85 classic. The calibers i have been most interested in are 7mm rem. mag and 300 win mag. Any input of past experience would be much appreciated. Also, if it really makes a difference i do all my hunting in Mid west Alberta Canada.  
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 19:33
Don't over look the 30-06, even though its over a 100 years it still is the most popular big game hunting round available.  Though there are more specialized calibers available, you wont find a more universal caliber than the 06,... let the battle begin.

Edited by lucytuma - August/13/2009 at 19:34
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 19:36
Between the two you listed, I'll always choose a .308 caliber over a .284, even though the .280 is my favorite round.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 19:42
I'd get the Sako in .300 wm.
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 19:45
I would chose the 300 win mag. The 7mm could do what you want but might be a little to small for some of the bigger game (bear and moose). As far as the rifle flip a coin.......
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 19:51
  WELCOME to OT, K.I.A!!

What brand rifles chambered in what cartridges do you have experience with?

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 20:19
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

WELCOME to OT, K.I.A!!

What brand rifles chambered in what cartridges do you have experience with?

Took the words right outa my mouth.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 20:20
Go for the gusto... get a Ruger #1 in .458 Lott.  

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 20:50
Originally posted by swtucker swtucker wrote:

I'd get the Sako in .300 wm.

+1    Yippee
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 21:12
one thing you may want to consider is that the .300win mag can generate substantial recoil. i love my browning abolt .300win mag. very accurate round for sure, and quite capable of taking all the game you listed. the 7mag is also capable of taking all the game you want to hunt. put the right good quality 160-175gr bullet in the 7mag and it will take moose too. i dont know anything about the sako85 personally, the xbolt i have played with some and its nice. i like the m700cdl's.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 21:12
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

"guaranteed to knock down anything that walks on the planet"...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 21:14

whatever chuck norris would catch that .458 bullet eat it and sh*t copper nails!Laugh
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
loaded4bear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loaded4bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 21:22

Sako 85 in .338 Federal for $700 NIB.  Can't go wrong with that, I love mine.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 21:29
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

whatever chuck norris would catch that .458 bullet eat it and sh*t copper nails!Laugh

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 22:04
300 Win Mag for the caliber.  Love mine.  Don't really have much experience with any of those rifles, so I won't comment for now.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 22:08
Of the three rifles you list, you go with the one that looks the best, handles the best, that has the best action and has the best overall features you`re looking for. Either are very good rifles. For example, if you`re the elegant, glossy wood type and consider that a top priority, the Browning Medallion should get the most consideration.

As to the cartridge.... I owned and reloaded a 300 Win Mag for over 34 years. OK! I`m a little biased towards an `ol friend! Regardless, it happens to be now, has been over the last 40+ years, and still is, the best selling 30 cal magnum on the planet. 

Although the 7mm Rem mag will be sufficient for all the game you mention, you cannot beat the bullet weight versatility of the 30 cal (110 gr to 220 gr) to adapt for any N/A game, African plains game and for any terrain and the usual hunting distances. With the exception of dangerous African game where a .375 is the minimum, the 300 Winny makes for an outstanding 30 caliber choice.

If recoil isn`t an issue, the 300 Win is an excellent choice. If you feel that recoil may be an issue, remember that this cartridge can be "loaded down" very effectively and accurately to approximate 30-06 levels.

My vote on this one, goes to the 300 Win.
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2009 at 22:52

.308/300 mag & REM 700...thats my 2 cents..just cant beat the lock up of a 700.

pulling a trigger is easy....hitting your mark is intelligence
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 00:05
Remmington makes the R5 mil spec stainless in a 300 WM ( a tad heavy for hunting)  I have one in a .308 and would love to have the twin in 300 WM.  Super Accurate!!!  The Sako extractor is exceptional and the older model 75 I believe is prefered to the new 85 and A7.  I like the look and feel of the stainless A7 and it has a moa guarantee as does its brother the TIKKA which shares the extractor at several hundred less and a top value cost wise. I had a Browning .375 H&H and the Browning never would group, so that burned me on Brownings however I do love the
 .375 H&HThunbs Up as a caliber and believe it to be a better choice for the first several hundred yards, (not as good as a .458 LottEek but a lot less punishing).  The .338 Win MagThunbs Up is an extremely popular Alaska Cartridge and should recieve at least some consideration - many think it ideal for the larger than deer size game, and it tends to retain energy very well at long range.   Nix or the 7magThumbs Down for really big critters, bigger slower bullets tend to penetrate while hyper velocity bullets tend to fragment, not that a 7mag couldnt be used with nosler partitions but Id rather have more bullet and like I said I really really like .375 H&H especially for stuff that hunts you back.  As noted early on the 30-06 is   capable and ammo easy to find and quite affordabe as in about three or four boxes for the price of one 300 WM and only about 300 ft per second slower.  Buy stainless with composite stock.

If you can afford a Kimber Montana  .338 Win Mag that would be my first choice in a hunting rifle for larger than deer game.  This would last you a lifetime and really be the correct choice.  The .338WM  is quite capable of turning a Grizzley into a rug.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 07:06
  If I were starting over again as far as getting my first centerfire rifle,now knowing  that I could get by with just one,I'd be taking a serious look at this:(click on specs to)

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 07:43
My true best all around is 30-06.  It has a very wide range of available COTS ammo and has enough ooomph to be used on anything on North America with the proper bullets.  The 30-06 with 220gr bullet will easily take any North American game out to further than you want to shoot.  At 200 yards, it is quite effective.  The .338's certainly are more powerful, but also much more expensive to shoot, as is the .375.  I like the 7mm's for long range shooting and have some 175gr hand loads for my STW which perform very well... once again, much more expensive to shoot.  
You've been given some very good information in this thread.  Now you have to sort it out and decide what you want to carry with you and what you expect to encounter... and how much you want to spend in becoming proficient with it and maintaining that skill.  Shooting must be practiced regularly, so, at least for me, cost of ammo is an issue.  While a .22 is great for skills training, you still have to spend some time with the big bangers to keep the "edge" and to know the performance of the rifle.  I think trying to go to one all around rifle is an excellent idea, but it is not an easy decision.  I've used the .458's exclusively the last couple of years, but have only truly hunted deer with the Lott.  I like it very much, but really don't recommend it for general use.  It takes a certain twisted mindset to want to hunt regularly with that rifle.  
As for types of rifles... I haven't seen one recommended which won't serve you well for as long as you maintain it and want to shoot with it.  
Choose wisely...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic