OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Laser Rangefinders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

BUSHNELL ELITE 1500

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BUSHNELL ELITE 1500
    Posted: August/12/2009 at 23:37

Hey guys, what do you think of this rangefinder? I have a bushnell right now but it will only range out to about 400 on an animal. I would like a rangefinder that will range quickly to 500-600 yards on an animal.

I really like this rangefinder and wanted to get your guys opinions before I purchase.
So any info good/bad would be awesome.

Thanks guys.

))--SLIVER-->
))--SLIVER-->
big boar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big boar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2009 at 21:51
I've had the 1500 for a couple of years and really like it.  I frequently range on an object then take a big step back, or forwards, and rerange. It has always adjusted to the new range, even though it is only a step or two. I've done this at ranges from less than 100 yds to over 1000 yds. I've been with friends using cheaper units and they often can't even get a repeatable reading at 100-300 yds and are also off by 20-40yds or so.  I don't use it while hunting but rather use it B4 the season to get yardages of the area I'm using and also keep it in the car to practice judging distances then verifying with the 1500. If I lost it I'd buy it again. 
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2009 at 07:40
I think you'll be pleased with the Bushnell. I've tried other brands in similar price range and have gone back to the bushnell. The 1000 and 1500 yd. models do slightly better ranging deer size animals than the 400 yd model, but you will find (as I did) that most R/F's under 400.00 will have trouble ranging deer at 400+. Even most high end models don't do a lot better. I suggest getting the 1500 and enjoy the money saved from the more expensive brands. I have adjusted to ranging a tree or barn that is at the approx. distance of my target (400+) and making the shot. That hasn't  failed me so far. I currently have a 1500 and it is my go to R/F. Good Luck and good huntin!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
SLIVER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2009 at 23:29
Thanks a ton guys. I will get the 1500 in accordance with your satisfaction with it. I have an antelope hunt in sep. that I need a longer distance rangefinder.

Thanks once again.

))--SLIVER-->
))--SLIVER-->
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2009 at 15:36
Just saw this... I have the 1500 Elite and love it.  There are much more expensive options, but I don't see how they can perform better.  I've measured mine in the lab/range and it is consistently plus or minus 1yd or less... less at shorter ranges.  Possibly with the Zeiss, Swaro, etc... you get better glass, but not sure that matters to me.  It doesn't do well at less than 20yds for me, but it is very good at 1000.  I've not tried it beyond 1000.  Guess I should, just to see.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SLIVER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 03:21
Thanks guys, just curious did you guys get the one with ARC or the one without??

))--SLIVER-->
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 09:30
With... good choice
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 14:01
This is a great choice for a long-distance rangefinder.  I pulled a 1000+ yard range on the hair of a bedded bull last season.  I did have the rangefinder tripod mounted.

The other comments about the optics are spot-on.  They are pretty good in good light and deteriorate as light dwindles.  The Leica/Swaros are much better in optical performance.  But you are not going to be glassing with that rangefinder, are you?  That's what those expensive binoculars are for.

The optical performance is sufficient to find an elk way out there, even in poor light.  The ranging ability, at least for my unit, is exceptional.  At dusk last night, I decided to take out my 1500 (non-ARC) and do a little testing after seeing this thread.  My Elite 1500 is four years old now.

I rested the unit on a fencepost.  First, the easy stuff:  neighbor's house at 442 yards.  Three ranges resulted in two of 442 and one of 441.  Then a large ponderosa pine at 1124 yards.  Three ranges resulted in one at 1124, one at 1123, and one at 1125.  Next was the real test:  A sorrel quarter horse grazing in a pasture beyond the pine tree.  Three identical ranges of 1243 yards.

That was some pretty good performance, but dusk conditions are ideal for the laser.  I have had some trouble getting good ranges in bright, direct sunlight on very flat terrain.  The brighter it is, the more reflective the target will need to be, so range those antelope in the white hair!  Tripod-mounting the rangefinder is extremely usefull in the field.

Enjoy your rangefinder and good luck on those speed-goats!
-Matt
SLIVER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 21:18
Thanks for the responses guys. I need to get off my butt and order this thing. I can get the non-ARC version for 324.00. I think it's a good deal, what about you?

))--SLIVER-->
))--SLIVER-->
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 21:45
If that is new from a dealer you may want to do a price match with the SWFA 110% low price guarantee.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
SLIVER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 23:47
It is new, however it is from a friend of a friend that runs a sporting goods supply store, so I don't think the guarantee would be applicable here.

Thanks though man.

))--SLIVER-->
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic