OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Critter Cooking Café
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Top 5 Go-To Recipes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2009 at 21:45
OK, for this you have to do some upfront prep, but once done, it last almost forever.
You have to have a stainless steel harrow disc blade, like this:

Then you have to get a welder to weld a stainless steel plate to cover the holes.  NOW, you have the PERFECT camp wok.  Before using, you need to season the wok.  You need a propane turkey frier burner to set the wok on.  Season the wok by filling it with olive oil (cheapest you can find) and heating the oil until it smokes violently.  Do not let it catch fire.  Be very careful here.  After the oil smokes for a while, pour off most of the oil and heat until the oil gets thick. Turn off, cool and wipe with a towel. NEVER WASH the wok.  Only wipe clean after using and reseason with olive oil (reseasoning only requires about a 1/2 cup, heat to smoking, pour out, heat 'til thick, cool, wipe clean).  

Cut meat into 1/2 inch chunks.  I use venison, beef, chicken, wild hog, domestic pig, etc... sometimes in that combination.  Marinate in balsamic vinegar (do you begin to get the impression that I really LIKE balsamic vinegar?), red and/or white wine, salt, pepper and whatever spices you like, for a couple of hours.  
Pour enough olive oil in the wok to cover all the surface and heat until it is hot, not smoking, but hot.  
Drain the meat and pour it into the wok.  
Add chopped broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, cabbage (cabbage is a MUST), eggplant, red or white potatoes (potatoes should have been boiled prior to this) if you like them, and whatever other vegetables you find attractive.  I almost always add red, yellow and orange bell pepper.  Sometimes I add jalapenos (if my wife and daughter are not looking). 
Cook stirring constantly until the vegetables are soft and the meat is done to your liking.  
Serve with sourdough bread, or with noodles, or with rice.  Choices are legion. 

Takes only a few minutes and is very good.  

The wok makes the meal...

A nice chianti goes well with this  (or a Chinese plum wine)...

Edited by Kickboxer - September/05/2009 at 21:52
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2009 at 23:54
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I like to make Tex-Mex / Southwestern style breakfast tacos, especially when I'm at hunting camp.  It's really easy.

Brown 1/2 - 1 lb. or thereabouts of chorizo (Mexican sausage) in a skillet.  Leave the grease to add flavor for the eggs in the next step. 

Add about 8 eggs, chopped green chilies, chopped onion, and shredded cheddar & Monterrey Jack cheese and scramble mixture until eggs are cooked.  I don't know the exact proportions of the above, as I just add whatever ratio "looks right" at the time.  It's really hard to screw it up anyway.

Spoon the above mixture into large flour or corn tortillas, roll, and eat.

Licker
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 15:49
Deer Meat - Italian Style

(recipe was available for limited time only)

Big Grin

Edited by mike650 - December/18/2009 at 20:47
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2009 at 16:59
Originally posted by Eileen Clarke Eileen Clarke wrote:

Okay, MRE and frozen burritos: what if the person is someone you like??????
Eileen

then we give them real silverware instead of the plastic stuffBucky
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Deena View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
Optics Hottie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2010 at 17:49
Originally posted by Eileen Clarke Eileen Clarke wrote:

<FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3>You've had a hard day at the office, and unexpected company is coming.  What is your best, easiest, no fail recipe, go-to recipe.  One of mine is Italian Sausage browned and sauteed with sweet onions and peppers.   Just made it for friends last weekend.  Chop to finish, about 15 minutes.   For steaks, it's grilling with a good slathering of garlic butter at the end.  (2 tbsp minced garlic to 2 tbsp butter on 1 pound of steak.)
Eileen

sounds so quick and stress free...great recipe..
Deena View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
Optics Hottie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2010 at 17:50
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

OK, for this you have to do some upfront prep, but once done, it last almost forever.
Then you have to get a welder to weld a stainless steel plate to cover the holes.  NOW, you have the PERFECT camp wok.  Before using, you need to season the wok.  You need a propane turkey frier burner to set the wok on.  Season the wok by filling it with olive oil (cheapest you can find) and heating the oil until it smokes violently.  Do not let it catch fire.  Be very careful here.  After the oil smokes for a while, pour off most of the oil and heat until the oil gets thick. Turn off, cool and wipe with a towel. NEVER WASH the wok.  Only wipe clean after using and reseason with olive oil (reseasoning only requires about a 1/2 cup, heat to smoking, pour out, heat 'til thick, cool, wipe clean).  
Cut meat into 1/2 inch chunks.  I use venison, beef, chicken, wild hog, domestic pig, etc... sometimes in that combination.  Marinate in balsamic vinegar (do you begin to get the impression that I really LIKE balsamic vinegar?), red and/or white wine, salt, pepper and whatever spices you like, for a couple of hours.  
Pour enough olive oil in the wok to cover all the surface and heat until it is hot, not smoking, but hot.  
Add chopped broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, cabbage (cabbage is a MUST), eggplant, red or white potatoes (potatoes should have been boiled prior to this) if you like them, and whatever other vegetables you find attractive.  I almost always add red, yellow and orange bell pepper.  Sometimes I add jalapenos (if my wife and daughter are not looking). 
Cook stirring constantly until the vegetables are soft and the meat is done to your liking.  

that is such a great idea
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2010 at 20:09

Easy throw down dinner.

Taco Soup

1 medium onion diced

1 can green giant mexicorn

1 can petite diced tomatoes

1 can ranch style beans

1 can pinto beans

1 can 8oz tomato sauce

1/2 small bottle of ranch dressing

1 1/2 pounds of ground meat

1 packet of taco seasoning

1 large bag of nacho cheese doritos

1 package of taco cheese

Cut up the onion and add it to skillet while you brown it with the meat.

Dump all of the canned ingredients into a soup pot on medium heat. Add 12-16 ounces of water. 

When meat is browned add it and the onions to the soup pot.

Add the ranch dressing and taco seasoning packets and stir well.

Bring it to a slow boil and reduce heat and cover. Simmer 15 minutes and serve over Doritos and top with cheese.

It's harder to type than it is to make and serves about 6 people.

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2010 at 20:44
I love "south of the border" go-to recipes!!!  Smoking Bandit
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2010 at 23:22
Originally posted by Deena Deena wrote:

Thank you, Deena.    

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Deena View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
Optics Hottie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2010 at 07:59
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

I love "south of the border" go-to recipes!!!  Smoking Bandit

me 2....sounds yumm-o and like you can whip it up quick!!!! thanks for the recipe-   i love trying out new ones....
Deena View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
Optics Hottie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2010 at 08:02

Originally posted by Deena Deena wrote:

Thank you, Deena.    

yeah i like that one in particular....that wok is perfect for cutting the cooking time in half.....thank you again ..really really cool..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic