OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

h&k or 1911

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rslamiroult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: h&k or 1911
    Posted: June/23/2005 at 10:16
first handgun, sp armory black stainless or h&k usp in .45 and why?
rslamiroult
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2005 at 10:52

1911, all steel, custom parts are cheaper, more customizable, slimer frame, gun is cheaper.

H&K, polymer frame, 10 round magazine, thicker frame, decocker lever, expensive gun.

I've shot both.  I like the 1911 better because the grip fits better, I prefer the single action, and I couldn't get used to the H&K magazine release down on the trigger guard.

Both are good.

Fight Smarter
Not Harder
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2005 at 16:42

I sold my USP .45.  I liked the grip, it was extremely reliable and fairly accurate.  I hated the trigger, spare parts are non-existent, and H&K customer service is terrible.  I prefer the 1911 to all others since I can easily customize it to fit my needs.  The 1911 has a much nicer trigger, more accuracy, parts everywhere, and you have numerous choices of who to buy from.

ranburr

noddah View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2005 at 17:03

Have we had this topic on another board?

It is very easy for me to teach a new shooter with a 1911 because of the trigger. Historically speaking 1911s have or could be finiky with ammo, mags, etc... but this is history for the most part.

The USP 45 is a awesome and tough out of the box handgun. The down side for a new shooter with the USP is the double action trigger. (First shot has longer travel) But you can carry a USP "Cocked & Locked" like a 1911; though I know no one that does this. Also after your use to the USP trigger this issue is history.

On a side note: the USP Expert has a different trigger which is an improvement and can be put into any USP. Also seeing how the 1911s start around $400 and go to $4,900 the USP ain't that expensive.

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2005 at 18:13

Try and get that USP expert trigger from H&K.  I hope you have better luck than I did.  I carried mine cocked and locked and it was manageable, but still not what I would call a good trigger.  The best thing about the USP is that it is just incredibley reliable.  I went through a phase where I just never cleaned it so I could see how many rounds it would fire before a malfunction.  I never got there after literally thousands of rounds of ammo.  The gun is good, but I am spoiled by 1911s. 

ranburr 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2005 at 14:02

Both 1911s and HKs are good guns, but I still prefer my Sig P220.  Never jams and fit my hand like a glove.  I got used to DA/SA action pretty quickly so that was not a problem. 

HK also has a comfortable grip, but I had a hard time getting used to the mag release.  An additional factor is that I've seen some smaller handed people (like my wife) accidentally release an HK magazine when shooting two handed.

Ilya

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2005 at 15:09
I also like the Sig P220 for a carry gun, That said I had an H&K P9s target in 45acp with polygon bore that I really loved and it shot extremely well but you couldn't find magazines for it.  I  carried a 1911 as a duty weapon in the 80s but it had been gone over by an extremely good gunsmith to assure it would reliably feed hollowpoints.  You can certainly find more people who think they can work on the 1911 than any other pistol but only a few of them will be competent. The H&K and the Sig P220 should both work flawlessly out of the box as should a Glock (fat) 45acp.  If I were going in to a building after multiple bad guys I would advise the coroner to standby and would take the single action 1911 but if I were dealing with suspects I needed to hold a gun point and attempt to arrest I would want a double action.  That said I carry a Glock 22 in 40 S&W every day for the state and I do not feel that I am at a disadvantage of any kind, but I have always been a 45acp guy so buy what you like and spend the money that it takes to buy enough ammo to know how your pistol works, and buy at least 4 additional magazines.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
carolinaflats View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolinaflats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2005 at 13:02

For a first handgun I think the HK would make a better choice because it allows you to explore different carry and shooting methods since it can be used as a Double action first shot with single action follow-up shots(DA/SA), or carried cocked and locked with all single action shots.  The HK also offers more round capacity but will probably have a bit more percieved recoil with the polymer frame.  I do think 1911's are a bit more comfortable in the hand(USP's feel kinda chunky and thick but not to the point of being uncomfortable).

I have a SA 1911 and a HK USP .40 and enjoy shooting both very much.  Either would make a fine choice for your first. Good luck.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic