OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for better optics than the Leupold VX-II
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Looking for better optics than the Leupold VX-II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2009 at 22:31
I believe jonoMT meant $575 after the $50 rebate.  That would be from SWFA.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2009 at 23:21
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

I believe jonoMT meant $575 after the $50 rebate.  That would be from SWFA.

That is what I meant...shoulda been more clear about it.

I thought Vortex was going to come out with a ranging reticle/target turret scope, but haven't seen it yet.
Reaction time is a factor...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 00:30
I think for your needs there are two scopes that should be at the top of the list:

Sightron S2 Big Sky 4.5-14x44 with MilDot and Side Focus
Hawke Frontier SF 4-16x42 wtih MilDot and Side Focus

I think Sightron is a bit better opticsally, but Hawke is pretty good as well (I did a review on it a little while back; you can find it in the Members' Reviews section).

ILya

Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 09:30
I'm very happy with the Sightron scopes I own.When comparing the S2 to the VX-III I feel that the S2 is better.In my opinion the S2 Big Sky is in a different category a notch above the VX-III. 
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 10:34

+1 for the Sightron...

fireroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 20:23
I went to look at the Sightron Big Sky today but all the place had was the SI.  I checked out the Nikon Monarch, VX-3,and the Elite 6500. At that point I still wanted a Sightron and should have walked out of the store. Instead, I asked to see there last Zeiss Conquest.  OMG, huge mistake! I'm hoping the store lights or my mind was playing tricks on me, but I was blown away by how much better the Conquest was then the others. I sure hope my research or someone on this forum can talk me out of it, because I don't have $800 to spend on a new scope Head Banger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 20:32

If it is that much better to you, then save a little longer and get it.  Put some money down and ask them to hold it for you... that way, you are "committed".

You'll thank me later...

I wasn't paying attention...  I thought you were talking about SWFA.  Call them.  You will get a better deal, I think.  They will work with you however they can to get you the scope you want. 

Edited by Kickboxer - August/12/2009 at 20:44
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
outdoorsinvt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outdoorsinvt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 21:27
Hey, I'm looking for some advice on a scope too. I am fairly new to hunting, but so far its been very fun. My wife bought me a Browning Mark II Lightweight Stalker or something, but the scope I have (a kick-down from a friend) is kind of crappy. Any advice from anyone?
outdoorsinvt
fireroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2009 at 22:29
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

If it is that much better to you, then save a little longer and get it.  Put some money down and ask them to hold it for you... that way, you are "committed".

You'll thank me later...

I wasn't paying attention...  I thought you were talking about SWFA.  Call them.  You will get a better deal, I think.  They will work with you however they can to get you the scope you want. 

I looked at it locally but planned on ordering from SWFA for the service and price match.  So...the question becomes...now that I'm in the $800 price range, is the Conquest the best optics?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic